RealFlight 8 and Windows 11 Sleep Mode

msgnfg

My Windows 11 laptop keeps going into sleep mode randomly after 5 to 15 minutes of use of RealFlight 8. It happened twice within 15 minutes tonight. Has anyone experienced this and know of a fix for it? Super frustrating when you are actively flying and the system just shuts down. Then I have to close and re-open RealFlight to start flying again. Thanks,

Neil

Windows doesn't see you pressing any keys or moving the mouse, so it thinks you walked away.

Go into Windows Settings and then Power settings, and extend or turn off the "turn off screen" and "sleep" settings.

I leave the laptop plugged in, and the power settings when plugged in are set to sleep = never. The turn off screen option was set to 30 minutes, but this is happening way faster than that. But I did change it to 1 hour instead, just in case.

A couple more ideas...
I'd also check the Screen Saver settings in Windows. I believe that defaults to being off, but it would be another reason for the screen to go black.

Is the system totally shutting down? What do you have to do to wake it up, and does Windows restart or does it resume where it was before it went dark? If the timing is really random, then I'm wondering if the system is shutting down because it's overheating. If that happened, I think Windows would complain about being shut down abnormally and fully restart. I don't think it would resume as if it went to sleep.

It seems to be going into sleep mode. I have to open the laptop and press the power button to bring it back. When I log back in, RF is still loaded and my plane is right where I left it in the air when everything went black. But the radio has no affect, so I shut down RF and re-launch it and all is well again. Until the next time anyway. The time it takes for this to happen varies - it is not consistent, like it would be with a power setting.

Checked, and my BIOS doesn't have any power settings to adjust. Keep the ideas coming though please!

Tonight I just tried to let the system sit without touching anything for 10-15 minutes, trying to simulate what happens during a RealFlight session. It never went to sleep, just as my settings are configured (to go to sleep after 2 hours). But the last three nights in a row (including tonight) the system went to sleep after about 8 minutes on the sim. Super frustrating.

Are you running in full-screen mode or in a regular Windows window? I don't know if it will make a difference, but it's easy enough to try changing it. ALT-Enter toggles between the two modes.

Back