RealFlight 8 on Steam!

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone,

I'd like to draw your attention to a new announcement. We're preparing to release RF8 on Steam!

Existing users (read: most of you) won't really be affected. But it is a very cool development for us, and an attractive option for newcomers. So please, tell your friends (and enemies)! :)

We're happy to answer any questions.

hi Sounds good,

One question, I've already purchased RF 8 on a disk. Now do I get a code to have it on steam too?
\
Jason

hi Sounds good,

One question, I've already purchased RF 8 on a disk. Now do I get a code to have it on steam too?
\
Jason

You probably can activate it on Steam using your existing cd key. Alot of software works that way.

No, you cannot activate it as a steam app/game unless the supplier provides a steam key. Maybe RF will include this in the future.

You can add a non-steam app to your steam library. This simply adds a shortcut but it does not add any steam features like auto-updates.

Personally I don’t see any reason to do this if you already have the dvd or download versions. For me it’s very easy to either startup in non-vr mode, as usual, or VR-mode using steamVR for Windows. All updates are easy to do with the RF installer. Even though I have not added this to my steam library (at least I don’t think I have) when I startup in non-vr steamVR still seems to want to startup and I find that I need to stop it by simply clicking the x on it’s window. No big deal imho.

I think that the main advantage for RF going to steam is that it potentially opens up a larger market. Also, for new buyers it allows them to direct download and later auto-update/uninstall/reinstall later.

Last edited:
Is SteamOS supported? Anyway I might buy it if:
- it works on Ubuntu either native or via Wine
- I can use my old 3.5 controller
- I can use my old Great Planes Pitts S2s
- it works with any steamVR device
Thanks for letting me know what of the above to expect working.

No, you cannot activate it as a steam app/game unless the supplier provides a steam key. Maybe RF will include this in the future.

You can add a non-steam app to your steam library. This simply adds a shortcut but it does not add any steam features like auto-updates.

Personally I don’t see any reason to do this if you already have the dvd or download versions. For me it’s very easy to either startup in non-vr mode, as usual, or VR-mode using steamVR for Windows. All updates are easy to do with the RF installer. Even though I have not added this to my steam library (at least I don’t think I have) when I startup in non-vr steamVR still seems to want to startup and I find that I need to stop it by simply clicking the x on it’s window. No big deal imho.

I think that the main advantage for RF going to steam is that it potentially opens up a larger market. Also, for new buyers it allows them to direct download and later auto-update/uninstall/reinstall later.

You can activate a Retail CD/DVD if its available on Steam. I've done it with a few games already

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.7 KB · Views: 27
Is SteamOS supported? Anyway I might buy it if:
- it works on Ubuntu either native or via Wine
- I can use my old 3.5 controller
- I can use my old Great Planes Pitts S2s
- it works with any steamVR device
Thanks for letting me know what of the above to expect working.

The Steam version of RealFlight 8 will not support SteamOS. It is still a Windows software application.

Read this thread for more info about supported controllers.

The free, repackaged versions of the old Add-Ons volumes (including AO4 which contained the Pitts S-2S) will continue to be supported in RF8.

RF8 supports OpenVR/SteamVR. Theoretically, any device that also supports those will work. Practically speaking, performance varies among devices. RF8 was developed around the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.

A boxed copy of RealFlight 8 or a digital version from Tower Hobbies will not automatically grant you a Steam license. We have talked about figuring out a way to provide Steam keys for existing users, and we like that idea a lot. If we're able to do that, however, it won't happen right away.

A boxed copy of RealFlight 8 or a digital version from Tower Hobbies will not automatically grant you a Steam license. We have talked about figuring out a way to provide Steam keys for existing users, and we like that idea a lot. If we're able to do that, however, it won't happen right away.

Great to hear you are open to that. Until then it will still be nice to see all the new people in multiplayer using Steam.

I have a few questions regarding RF8 on Steam...

1. Will installing RF8 from Steam overwrite my existing install of RF7.5?

2. If the answer to #1 is no, will I be able to play both RF7.5 (installed from a dvd) and RF8 (installed via steam)? Basically can I alternate between RF 7.5 and 8?

3. Will the Interlink Elite (wired) controller that came with my RF7.5 be fully functional in RF8. In other words, can I use the Reset, Menu, Select buttons built in the Controller when simming in RF8?

I have a few questions regarding RF8 on Steam...

1. Will installing RF8 from Steam overwrite my existing install of RF7.5?

2. If the answer to #1 is no, will I be able to play both RF7.5 (installed from a dvd) and RF8 (installed via steam)? Basically can I alternate between RF 7.5 and 8?

3. Will the Interlink Elite (wired) controller that came with my RF7.5 be fully functional in RF8. In other words, can I use the Reset, Menu, Select buttons built in the Controller when simming in RF8?

RealFlight always installs itself to a 'new' directory so yes you can have both installed at the same time and alternate between them. I have the interlink from 6.5 and 7.5 and they both work with RF-8.

Back