RealFlight 9 !

If you purchased RF8 after July 15, you are eligible to receive RealFlight 9 for free! See realflight.com for more details.

A similar deal will be in place for Steam users. More info to come...

Ok Im in, been using RF8 for a while and love it. Especially the 700 Logo Extreme, that one aircraft is enough to buy realfight in my opinion

I have purchased version 8 on july 31 - 2019
Have send a email to receive my free version :)

Just got myself a Spektrum DX6i today and now i'm reading that the Spektrum is also available with RealFlight 9

I really happy about it. YES!

Last edited:
I have purchased version 8 on july 31 - 2019
Have send a email to receive my free version :)

Just got myself a Spektrum DX6i today and now i'm reading that the Spektrum is also available with RealFlight 9

I really happy about it. YES!

From what I have read the free version will be a hard copy of the software or the downloadable software only no interlink included. That's why I wasn't to upset that I had purchased my RFHHE to soon, I'm not eligible for the free stuff but I want the Spektrum interlink. So I preordered mine from Tower. Guess I could just sell my version8 online somewhere.

Additional aircraft to add to RF 8

When will Horizon offer an update to add on new aircraft to existing RF 8 users? I purchased RF 8 in March 2019, seems like no difference except the added aircraft. I had the "old" RealFlight and they had several add ons to add aircraft.

When will Horizon offer an update to add on new aircraft to existing RF 8 users? I purchased RF 8 in March 2019, seems like no difference except the added aircraft. I had the "old" RealFlight and they had several add ons to add aircraft.

Once a new version of RealFlight is released all previous versions stop development. If you Want the aircraft in RF9 you will need to purchase RF9.

There are several ways to acquire additional aircraft into RealFlight.

1.) Download the free add-on aircraft. https://www.realflight.com/support/kb/article.php?q=16-1033

2.) Purchase "Expansion Pack" aircraft from Horizon Hobby. There is an Airplane Mega Pack and a Helicopter Mega Pack. Each expansion pack is around $30. There are more expansion packs available. Some contain additional airports.

3.) Download and Install aircraft created by fellow users from the swap pages. EA=Entire Aircraft, CS=Color Scheme, AV= Aircraft physics variant. Some aircraft are good, some not so good, some really not so good.

With ANY of these aircraft, you can edit and modify the physics and scale using the editor. The world is your oyster then. I would suggest not editing until you really know how to fly.

I think that you would have to buy RF9 to get the RF8HH edition aircraft.

Last edited:
It's a simulator, not a video game! err.... umm....

HMMMMMMMM!

If it were a true RC simulator it would use "channels". RC transmitters and receivers use channels to communicate. RF uses kids USB game controller protocols. Square pegs and round holes. All the decent RC simulators, like PHoenix, use channels.

I had high hopes when I saw the Interlink DX. But instead of fixing RF to use real channels HH decided to bastardize a Spektrum transmitter and turn it into a toy video game controller. Channels with the one to one correspondence between the controller and model would eliminate the confusion and allow the simulator to be logically programmed and used like real RC. There are no ridiculous "axes and rotations" in RC protocols.

"It's a kids video game, not a real RC simulator!"

HMMMMMMMM!

If it were a true RC simulator it would use "channels". RC transmitters and receivers use channels to communicate. RF uses kids USB game controller protocols. Square pegs and round holes. All the decent RC simulators, like PHoenix, use channels.

I had high hopes when I saw the Interlink DX. But instead of fixing RF to use real channels HH decided to bastardize a Spektrum transmitter and turn it into a toy video game controller. Channels with the one to one correspondence between the controller and model would eliminate the confusion and allow the simulator to be logically programmed and used like real RC. There are no ridiculous "axes and rotations" in RC protocols.

"It's a kids video game, not a real RC simulator!"

Nope. Couldn't disagree more. On Every point.
- There ARE "axes and rotations" in real FBL units. And I imagine in other flight controllers as well.
- "All the decent RC simulators like Phoenix" BAHwahaaahahahaha cough cough. Yes you're right of course. Phoenix physics are very near perfect... if you do most of your flying on Mars.

Realflight is the closest to real flying physics that you can get. Phoenix is a joke. NeXt is a joke. AccuRC is actually pretty nice, but it's not a finished product... basically just a beta with numerous issues.

I agree with you that the "setup" process of real RC is not faithfully represented in RF, but the software Editor is SO superior to ANY other sim, it doesn't matter. Other sim's "editors" are Clown Shoes compared to the full on CAD program which is Realflight.

Last edited:
- There ARE "axes and rotations" in real FBL units. And I imagine in other flight controllers as well.
- "All the decent RC simulators like Phoenix" BAHwahaaahahahaha cough cough. Yes you're right of course. Phoenix physics are very near perfect... if you do most of your flying on Mars.

Realflight is the closest to real flying physics that you can get. Phoenix is a joke. NeXt is a joke. AccuRC is actually pretty nice, but it's not a finished product... basically just a beta with numerous issues.

I agree with you that the "setup" process of real RC is not faithfully represented in RF, but the software Editor is SO superior to ANY other sim, it doesn't matter. Other sim's "editors" are Clown Shoes compared to the full on CAD program which is Realflight.

Phoenix isn't even a sim anymore... It's publisher was Horizon who as everyone knows is backing RealFlight now. Phoenix is no longer...

You forgot RC8 by aerofly, expensive but its what RFX could have been...

Just purchased Real Flight 9 on steam and I"m very impressed with the new aircraft Fusion 480 and synergy 766. Also thank you for bringing back the training modules for the helicopter that is fun. Well worth the money IMO and considering the ease of use, and the heli's fly pretty darn good without modification. Thank you!

Just purchased Real Flight 9 on steam and I"m very impressed with the new aircraft Fusion 480 and synergy 766. Also thank you for bringing back the training modules for the helicopter that is fun. Well worth the money IMO and considering the ease of use, and the heli's fly pretty darn good without modification. Thank you!

Glad you're happy. What controller are you using?

Funny you should mention that. I have all the interlink controllers except the latest one what dx? I like to experiment and use the $30 khobby controller I purchased off of Ebay. The only downside is that it only has a two position flight mode switch. I don’t know why I’m using it for my siming.

Like the challenge I suppose. For someone on a budget it works pretty well even has a reset button ��

That being said I will probably order the latest and greatest controller from horizon hobby. I don’t know why I keep coming back to Realflight and I have all the sims

The setup process in RF makes it unusable without a ridiculous amount of relearning and work. Unless you are from the PC kids gaming world and understand the arcane terminology there are stumbling blocks at every stage. I suppose if I flew helis with a few of your specific FBLs I would have spent the inordinate amount of time to learn all this crazy AXES, ROTATIONS, etc. That is a very small world. I come from the world of real flying starting with flying off carriers in Viet-Nam and then over 4 decades as an aviation systems/avionics engineer. F14, F18, Tornado, Eurofighter, E2 .. and I never once saw the PC game controller terminology in all those years. And flying models since FF and CL in the 1950 and never saw it there until I got RF. If the toy game controller terminology is so great why isn't it used on RC transmitters and receivers and all RC and real aircraft? The physics in Phoenix is much more like actual full scale that I have flown and RC models that I fly now. And Phoenix is much more malleable with understandable setups and editors to make it work like a real pilot expects.

Take what should be a simple example. The plane you want to fly doesn't have the same expo, rates, etc. that you fly the real transmitter and planes with. So it should be simple to go to the aircraft edit menu and set these up in the software radio using standard flight surface terminology like Aileron, Elevator, Rudder... Not is RF -which inconsistently uses THEIR channels ( and who knows what that means in RF ) mixed in with all the crazy game controller terminology. Unless you want to learn all about the PC game world, and specifically Microsoft, any editing is impossible. I can tell from many of the posts in the forums (and even KE, RF and HH staff) that the many posters have no other experience than games and RF.

When you use your real transmitter and fly real RC models do you use game controller or aviation terminology.

RF was developed from the MS gaming world and its legacy is so hopeless entangled in it that it doesn't know how to extricate the SW and make it all consistent with the real world.

Spent a lot of money on RF and after I tried it and having found it unusable with all the esoteric foibles I tried to return it. OOPs - not returnable if you try it first. This catch 22 makes as much sense as everything else about RF.

Back