Realflight Basic Installation problem

smurfette1175

My husband and I have just bought realflight basic. He installed it on his computer and now I am unable to install on mine. Copyright is fine. But why should genuine users be punished. Why are people assumed to be doing illegal things when all they want is proper use of the software.

When I buy a music CD I do not have to buy 2 copies to listen to it on 2 computers or 2 different stereos.

This does not constitute fair use for a household.

What is your fair solution?

Another point to my previous post

Here's another point what will happen if the hard drive on the compute fails and the program needs to be reinstalled.

Will the disk allow it?

There is a issue with one of the computers or your installing it incorrectly.

I have Real Flight installed on two computers with different operating systems and no problems.

Make sure you use the same passwords when registering, and enter everything the same as the first computer.

There is no issue with running the software on multiple systems.

Last edited:
We are using Realflight Basic and there was no password required when my husband installed it. He also did not register anywhere. Its seems to write a .ini file to the computer and to the actual installation disk.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Successful install computer specs?

Unsuccessful computer spec?

It may write a ini. file to the first comp but it does not write anything back to the install disk.

Do you have the controller plugged in while trying to install?

right the install disc is read only
Nortons right it's something on/in your second PC preventing a successful install
many folks have RF on more than one no problem
and as far as I know KE does not have a problem with you doing that either
after all you can only use one at a time anyhow ........you only have one interlink

Last edited:
Computer specs on both computers

both dual core
both 1G video graphics memory
his 6G Ram mine 5G ram
His windows 7 64-bit mine Vista ultimate 64-bit

controller not plugged in when trying to install

Yes, even when you buy music, you'd be required to buy 2 copies to listen to on 2 stereos simultaneously. How could you play the same cd on 2 systems. You only got one Interlink, so you could only use RF on the system that the Interlink is plugged into. Yes, it's possible to install RF on all your home computers. Many of us have done so. And, I'd call that what you say, fair use. Quit whining, and figure out why it won't install on your other computer.

thanks for your ideas Norton.

I made sure I have all windows updates and tried installing again and the message I got was:

--------------------------------
Knife Edge Software Installer has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
------------------------------------------

We each have admin access to our own computers. No kids so no need to block any accesses.

To jeffpn. Yes I realise you can only use 1 interlink on one computer at a time, my problem is I cannot get the software on another computer. I do not want to kick my husband off his computer if he is working just so I can practice. Thats what I mean by unfair use.

You have software or a setting on your computer preventing you from installing RF. The only other possibility, and probably not likely on yor system, is that your CD drive is having troubles reading the installation disc. You could try copying the installation disc to your hard drive, only to see if it can be read. Other than that, it's a setting on your computer, like DEP, or software on your computer, like BitDefender preventing your installation.

Smurfette:

Just to be clear.

What you are trying to do WILL work.

That it is not points to either:

- A rights issue ( the accounts used do not have admin privs...) and/or you are not installing as admin...

- An invalid account name ( e.g. reserved characters in the username ).

- An issue reading the DVD's

- An issue with Window's own built in installer software.

- DEP or other security software issues ( look to DEP first! ).

- Something outside of the above that we have missed.

All are more related to your computer, than to Realflight.

Vista is not a problem with any version of RF. You took the long way around, but I'm glad you got it working. I'm a bit surprised you bought a copy of Windows 7 just to get RF working. RF works well on my Vista machine.

Back