Realflight for Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcsantana

Are they planning on making a realflight compatible for Mac some time soon? There are tools available to help with the process, an macs are becoming the most popular computers... ps: i know dozens of people using macs willing to buy it including me.

I know some folks with Macs already running RealFlight. :confused:
Search around these forums will confirm additional success scenarios.

You should google "Mac market share." funny how people come around here lately declaring what's popular without any data to back their claim.

Last edited:
jcsantana said:
Are they planning on making a realflight compatible for Mac some time soon?

Nope... but did you know it runs just fine under Bootcamp?

jcsantana said:
There are tools available to help with the process,

Doesn't really matter.

jcsantana said:
an(d) macs are becoming the most popular computers...

I heard this repeated time and again years ago, but the market shares are pretty steady... things go up and down, but PC's dominate the business sectors so they tend to rule.

Try looking for industry specific vertical market applications sometimes... you will NOT find them for the MAC... let alone aftermarket plug-ins for existing apps...

Macs are non-the-less nice machines...

jcsantana said:
ps: i know dozens of people using macs willing to buy it including me.

Then go right ahead... Bootcamp works, and some report success with Parallels too.

Actually Both Positions Have Merit

The large number of installed PCs (particularly business PCs) keep the Windows OS sales up. However the growth in devices such as smart phones, tablets, net books (nearly killed by the tablets), iMacs, Zunes (if they still exist), iPods, and various other devices has reduced the market share of Microsoft designed operating systems. The billions of dollars that Microsoft spends each year in its effort to keep up with the market place is such a drain on it's profits that Microsoft's stock price has remained mostly in the mid 20s for at least the last decade and the company is no longer considered to be a growth company. It may take another decade or two, but eventually Windows, as we currently know it, will be an obsolete OS and RF will need to be rewritten for a more modern OS. That OS will also not be the Mac OS X. OS X will probably be replaced by a new Apple OS within the next 5 years. The coming OS may only be a glimmer in someones mind right now but that's the way technology works.

Not trying to be rude, so don't take it that way.

What does your post have to do with the OP? Were not talking about 5 years from now or smart phones etc. He wanted to know if there was going to be a Mac version available and he was given the answer. (Boot camp)

As far as speculation on future operating systems, who knows. ;)

MMMMMMMM 5 years....... Funny my version of XP is what , ten years old? ............
and I'm still getting updates every now and then
still works fine for me ;)

maybe in 5 years I'll just update to 7
that otta take me at least into 2021 or longer if Win. 7 has the same longevity of XP :p

Last edited:
He's only telling KE what they'll have to do in the future in order to remain profitable, that's all. He's showing responsibility as a customer to inform KE what the future market trends will be, so that KE can make money.

It is way too early to write Microsoft off, but if you have some stock you would like to donate. Making judgements like health of the company based on price per share is ridiculous. Changing direction in a large company is difficult, but Microsoft is moving.

As to KE moving to a "nix" OS platform, they would do well to evaluate the trends in gaming. Right now, I think that would be WinTel. Do you really think that tablets will be ready for the cpu/graphics cycles and heat anytime soon?

I am sure that they are watching just as you and I are, but changing to Mac OS is really not a high priority, especially when the emulators allow the software to run.

No offense taken, Norton. The OP said that Macs were becoming the more popular computers and a later post said that Windows seemed to be staying at about 95 percent of the market. I was trying to point out that the market for processor based devices was changing and that the type of computer that RF is currently designed to run on would lose market share over time, much as stand alone mainframes have. It is my contention that, as new devices replace current devices, RF will have to adjust to new OSs in order to remain viable. How many people will be willing to buy an old style computer using an old style OS just to run RF when they are using tablets, smart phones, cloud computers, or whatever the next new things are (all with new OSs) to do their emails, internet searches, word processing, and all their other computing activities? I do not expect the new OS to be just a simple extension of either Windows or Mac OS X but, instead, to be an OS (or OSs) appropriate to the new devices. I consider the Mac vs Windows argument to be moot, especially since Macs can already run Windows applications (provided the Mac owner is willing to buy either a Windows OS or a Windows emulator) and Mac OS X will probably be replaced with a completely new OS in three or four years anyway.

I was also trying to point out that, while Microsoft has tried to produce viable OSs for the new devices such as smart phones and Zunes, the market has tended to reject these OSs. Investors try to predict future corporate profitability and the sum of all of these predictions is reflected in a corporation's stock price. Microsoft's static stock price indicates that the current marketplace considers Microsoft to be stagnating and no longer growing. The market place no longer considers Microsoft to be an innovative leader in the computer software world. This is one of the reasons why I believe that the next big OS will not be a Windows derivative.

I have seen computers change radically over the years since their invention and I do not expect the rate of change to slow any time soon. I am eagerly looking forward to see how RF adapts to the changes and becomes an even better flight simulator.

12oclockhigh said:
Do you really think that tablets will be ready for the cpu/graphics cycles and heat anytime soon?
Thats it in a nut shell............IMO....."Other devices" are not yet up to speed for KE to be worrying about future Devices or any new OS that my drive them...

I also think that the day that portable devices will be the death nell of windows based desk top PCs is a long way off.........if ever :confused:

keep in mind that as portable devices advance so do desk and lap top PCs
It was not that long ago that a terabyte hard drive ,8 gigs of RAM and multi-core graphics cards were just a dream

Last edited:
It's like he's trying to warn KE that in 5 or 10 or 15 or 20 years there won't be Windows anymore, so they need to start getting prepared. Prepared for what? He derails his own argument, saying how computers change radically. What exactly should KE do now, to prepare for something that doesn't even exist?

I guess the Major and jeffpn have missed my points. The OP asked if there would be a Mac version since OS X was becoming so popular. Jeffpn responded that Windows was still the most popular and that Apple was not gaining very much on Windows so no Mac version was needed. My response was that neither OS would be the OS of the future. Lion will probably be the end of the line for OS X as we currently know it and stand alone PCs are gradually being replaced by web based machines using non-Windows OSs. Do I think that tablets will be ready for the cpu/graphics cycles and heat anytime soon? Not, if by soon, you mean in the next two or three years; but the state of the art does change very rapidly. My point there was that tablets can already do most of what people buy PCs for and that, as more and more people opt for the smaller easier to transport devices, PCs, as we currently know them, will become more of a specialty item (kind of like the mainframes did) and drop in market share. I'm not trying to tell KE what to do. I'm only trying to answer the OP by giving reasons why a Mac version of RF would not make sense currently while, at the same time, give reasons why Windows is not a lock to always be the RF OS of choice. RF users are already running RF on notebook computers because of the convenience factor and I expect that a growing number of users will eventually start asking for an RF version that can be run on a tablet.

Hey don't be dissing my iMac 27" Thuderbolt i7. And hey it's not that hard to make a opition on the disc install to ask if you have a Mac or PC OS and then choose the other version. Autodesk, Adobe, and Microsoft give you that option so why not put it in RealFlight. That's all they are asking. Simple as that.

P.S.
By the way, Mac's are already more powerful and can run more diverse applications than PC's running Windows 7. As Mac OSX Lion comes out next month Windows will be that much farther behind than Mac.

Last edited:
All this talk is unnecessary. RF is not currently offered for mac users. I guess we lowly windows users will just have to take solace in the fact that we can run RF with no emulators as we can with all the hot game titles. While mac users on there sleek overpriced under softwared machines can have fun on garage band, or whatever gadget comes bundled with their 2000 dollar machines. Maybe one day PCs will become the main frames of that new day. Until then happy emulating. :D

Hey, 3-DMan

I wouldn't even think of dissing your iMac 27" Thunderbolt i7. It's a good machine. But times change. Five years ago, at my place of work, everyone had a top-of-the-line desktop PC with all of the best software. We were very pleased with what we had. We also had two less capable laptops for use by employees who had to travel and needed to take some computing capabilities with them. Today, no one has a desktop PC and everyone has a laptop. The laptops are still not as capable as the PCs were but their convenience has more than made up for their lack of capability. That is the sort of thing that is happening everywhere. The vast majority of computer users don't need the kind of capability that your iMac has. Most people use their home computer to check their email, surf the web, and perhaps check on their bank balance or pay a few bills. They don't need much computing power and will generally opt for convenience over computing power. Since these people are in the vast majority, most computer manufactures will tailor their products to meet their wants leaving the powerful game type computers as niche type machines. There will always be a market for the more powerful computers, such as yours and the gamer type machines; but I do not think that that segment of the market will ever again be the driving force that it once was.

Yes I understand and respect that, but then you get these CLOWNS that are Windows or nothing people that diss the Mac and say that they are overrated and or that all you can do on the Mac is Garageband or whatever... But as a Apple Developer I know how great the Mac is, how ahead of thier time they are and how much software is avaiable for Mac. There are no limits to what the Mac can do.

Plus most of Microsoft's software is know avaiable on Mac OSX SL. So I don't get why the fools have to try and talk down the Mac because it's better than anything else out there.
And the Mac is a very user freindly computer. Yes I know it's expensive but you get what you pay for... not some new Dell XPS laptop that fails all the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back