Realflight is the worst coded software i've ever seen

E

Eselman

I bought Addon 1,2,3 .

have internet at office not at home, so only version 550 from download page. This is not ok!!
So i installed addon 1,2 an played. Everything ok. Than Addon 3 and everything is damaged. Please insert the original cd etc.
That is so unfair, people like me, bought this f***ing software for more than a few dollars and nothing works really well. What should i now do with addon3? Sending it back to greatplanes? Or are there serious supporters here to help and build a update for everyone at the download page.

Seems it may be your PC or user error

I am overly satisfied with this software, it does have some smaller issues but what can you expect, this is not a $1000 software running on $4000 machines, this is a home based learning tool. Feel free to find another software that can replicate the physics as well as the radio/engine/fuse/ etc with variable inputs available to tweak your ship.
The support people have been great to me when I had issues they solved them in a matter of minutes. So I sir respectfully disagree and feel that people should hear both sides of a story

Worst coded software.

Who knows where to start looking? We don't know if he has tried to install G2, what system he's running, or any of the myriad other variables involved. Loosing one's temper and blaming everything in sight will not solve anything, nor will cursing(as if *** fools anybody) on this sight.
Patience.
I think that G2 is a "hoot".I work on the standup dedicated videos you find in arcades, and G2 is a lot more fun.
Good luck to this fellow. It sounds like he's going to need it if he can't keep his anger in check.
Bye. That's my dos pesos worth. :(

Eselman:

As anyone who has spent much time on this discussion board can tell you, we don't go around policing the boards and deleting any message that speaks of our products in a negative way. Far from it. We're dedicated to allowing our users an open forum here.

However, we do require that you avoid profanity, and treating others with respect usually gets better results. That's something which so far you have failed to do. I've deleted one of your messages and several written in response. Please avoid similar messages in the future or we will disable your account. Posting here is a privelege, after all.

As for the problem you're experiencing, I suggest you contact technical support (217-398-8970 or rfsupport@greatplanes.com) and see if they can help resolve your issue. As several people have already pointed out, I doubt you'll get much help from the other users here after insulting them.

[This message was edited by Ryan Douglas on 08-05-02 at .]

And we'll watch what we say more carefully in the future also...(virtual hat in hand)

I fly Ultra Stick 40, Fut. 9C and can do rolling circles now. Thanks RFG2.

re

If people only realized how hard good quality software like RealFlight is to write/maintain they wouldn't be like this.

Barjam

RealFlight has it's problems, like any software, but most of them go away with current PC hardware and drivers. Once you get it up and running, it's great! It has helped me learn to fly model airplanes and was worth every penny to me.

Hope you have the same success. Post some more details about your amchine, OS, hardware etc. and we'll try to help.

Carrl

RE: Worst coded software I've ever seen? (Perhaps)

Without seeing the computer code, it is difficult to confirm how robust the G2 code truly is. However, I have experienced several abnormal program terminations when running G2. This suggests that the computer code DOES NOT handle a variety of error-conditions. If good programming methodologies were followed then this SHOULD NOT occur!!!

Robust code should not error, and if it does it should terminate “normally”. I have noticed that the G2 application (2.00.570) attempts to access memory outsides its virtual environment. Further, my experience with the G2 vendor (GP) was less than cordial. I attempted to contact via telephone a Knife Edge Software developer to discuss my concerns/problems and I never got a response. I do not expect perfection since that would be an impossibility of a program of this magnitude. What I do expect is a product that is reasonably free of defects and a vendor willing to provide help/feedback.

I will be interested to see if my response stays on this forum thread (un-edited), since I have been less than complimentary in my response regarding their product.

Regards, RBL4

When was the last time you talked to a "real live" microsoft developer?

How many times have you had windows crap out on you without proper error trapping?

I think you will find the the moderator here will let you have your opinion stay unedited.

Are you having a problem you would like to toss out to the forum or did you just need to grouse a bit?

worst coded software

What do you want from the program? What are the problems you're having? I don't have any experience with code but after spending 20 years with street type video games as a profession, I think that Realflight has done a great job of producing general use software. Do you really think that a small scale software producer can cover all the bases? You ought to know that the combinations of equipment out there is overwhelming and I think Realflight has done a pretty good job trying to cover their bases.
If you had less than a cordial conversation with them, try again. Everyone has a bad day.
Maybe you could hook up with them and help them with their code. :)

Like my compadre, Ryan, mentioned we don't go around policing the boards (we just read 'em). Our basic rule of thumb is to 'keep it clean', and try not to get 'out of hand'.

I'll also add that if we have wronged you in some way, we'll do our best to fix it.

:cool:

Mr. Highflyer

In answer to your question "When was the last time you talked to a "real live" microsoft developer?"

In response to "Worst coded software I've ever seen? "

Gentlemen,

I appreciate your comments. Let me respond to each of your “questions/comments”.

In answer to your question "When was the last time you talked to a "real live" Microsoft developer?" Actually it was about two weeks ago. He is a current student of mine. Are you suggesting that the complexity is equal-to/greater-than a Microsoft operating system?

In answer to your question “What do you want from the program?” “What are the problems you're having?”

First, all software should be as free from defects as humanly possible. I am of the opinion, that this software does not meet that criterion. Perhaps we will “agree” to “disagree” on this point!

As for your second question, the problems that I have experienced “probably?” cannot be solved in this forum discussion thread but I do appreciate the offer of your help. (Thanks)

Mr. Coleman,

In response to your comment, “I'll also add that if we have wronged you in some way, we'll do our best to fix it.”

I also appreciate your offer of help. If you are sincere regarding this offer (stated previously) then, please send email to rbl4@psu.edu Upon receipt of your email, I will outline the details. At this point, our discussion would be best served offline.

Thanks and kindest regards to you all,

RBL4

RBL4-

No fair using your contacts to talk to a developer from MS. Try being one of the "common people" for once. Come down out of that academic tower of yours and see how the real world works.

Never said that the level of complexity was the same, but I'll bet they've got geometrically more staff to handle problems at MS.

Why do you think your problems are above the level of help you would get here? You might be surprised at the level of help you could get here if you gave us something to go on other than gripes.

Could it be that maybe you just like to piss in the stew

Worst software?

I've been around this block before. Every major game has a discussion board like this one. Every major board is loaded with "your program is junk" messages.

Here is the story:

PC's are way too complicated. They don't "just work." If your PC seemed to work before it was luck.

Lots of other people seem to have PC's that work.

If you want your PC to be stable and run all the really cool software you have to take total control the situation.

What motherboard do you have? What chipset it is on the motherboard? What processor? What video card? What sound card?

Step 1) Figure out what MB, and what chipset then look around the internet. Every MB and Chipset has a discussion forum.

Step 2) Read them. Search them.

AMD - look at amdmb.com. Via chipset - viahardware.com (I don't build PC's with Intel so I can't help you there but I'm sure the forums exist).

Search their forums for similar problems. You'll be amazed what you'll find.

Geforce card? Try the Geforce FAQ (now run by tweek3d.net) http://www.tweak3d.net/faq/faq.cgi

Having audio trouble - look on your sound cards manufacturer's forum.

Buy from Compaq, Gateway, HP, or Dell. Check their sites.

When you have a problem don't stop with just one forum. Try them all. All these problems are related.

Try google. Type a description of the problem into google. Often you can find discussions that relate to the problem.

Example: Audio crackling? Via chipset? Check the geforce faq. Could be your AGP to PCI latecy needs to be set to zero. Bios doesn't support that? Download a bios tweek tool.

Example: Just updated your nVidia drivers and now you boot to a black screen? Check amdmb.com. Maybe it's your monitor doesn't support 85 or 120 Hz.

Example: You installed a game and boots to a black screen. Check the geforce faq. Get a refresh rate tweek tool and verify the game isn't using some crazy resolution.

Bottom line: if you want to fix the problem you've got the beat the pavement. Get around. Check out these sites. Ask some questions.

I've built 8 PC's in the last 4 years. Every one has been a fight but I got them all working.

I've had bad monitors, bad CD ROMs (nasty problem that drive was), bad bios's, bad chipset drivers, bad video drivers, bad sound cards, bad sound card drivers. I've even had bad CD ROM firmware (did you know you can update that - now you do).

When you find the answer you can post it back to these forums and help the next guy.

JonB

coded software??

wow!!!!! you folks get into this pc stuff..i have had problems with g2 and support was great, they helped me fix my issues except my controller issues which i have a post for..i do have a question though..why doesnt tech support have a toll free number??..i did pay alot of money for this program..and then i gotta spend more to get it to work?..thats like buying a car then you have to call a 900 mumber to get a set of keys for the ignition..well i hope somebody other than a bean counter reads this.....later all fondler

>>have internet at office not at home

You know what?

Highflyer would rudely say... be like normal people like 90% of them are becouse they all have internet access at home... :)

Isnt it so Highflyer???
Or "Just get over it..."

Regards

That's you isn't it Eiseldude

Your colors may change but your style and attitude doesn't. go.home. :mad:
BTW, you didn't learn the first time did you? :rolleyes:

What? I must be missing something. I've been out of it for a while. Have I been rude again???

Been trying to get Windows(sucks)ME loaded on a couple of machines. Don't ask me why. You know what? MS requires you to have an internet connection to get the updates. And ya gotta have the updates. Imagine that....

And autodesk will mail you a disk with the updates but they charge for that and it has taken 3 weeks so far and still no disk. Even after I paid $3000 for the software. I gotta remember to call about that tomarrow.

Gee, I hope I haven't been rude or hurt anyone's feelings tonigh

Back