Realflight physics

musomaniac

hi guys , just a bit info before i dive in , i am a reasonably profficient pilot , flying a 30cc sbach , a 30cc yak 54 , an extra 330L 30cc , and a yak 54 55cc ,
in the past i've used phoenix to keep my hand in during bad weather , which is all we seem to be getting atm here in the northeast of england , but i could never ever get the sbach or yak to fly anything like my models , the phoenix models just seemed to floaty and light , ............

fast forward a few weeks and i now have realflight 7.5 , reccomended to me by my m8 , who said prop hanging was much more realistic as opposed to phoenix , ... well unfortunately i have to disagree , i find the physics basically not much different from phoenix , the models still seem way too floaty , and prop hanging is just too easy , as opposed to the same manouvre outside

now i realise that a sim will never be able to mimic the characteristics of real flight (pardon the pun) but my question is ..........

are there any methods to make the sbach and yak 54 fly more realistic , and if so could someone post a discription of how to do it ?

many thanks

also just noticed when i rescale the yak to make it bigger , it bounces all over the runway when left at idle .... any ideas ?

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=30773

this is one where they are discussing it, you need to increase the weighs and the physics size to match the visual size , lots of info on here about that deal with it , also you need to up size engine and prop size.

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=17498 . this is another good write up by dhk79 on physics for RF , i would suggest you pick a size of real life RC plane you want to replicate , get all the size and weights and power , prop size , then go to town on the visual and physics size and weights of parts , engine and prop size , then you need to do the strength of parts so those break as the real life planes would , you can come really close to real if you put the time into it ,

Last edited:
you stated in another thread that you want to enlarge the Yak54 to a 55cc powered aircraft. you actually should be shrinking the bird as the stock Yak54 is a 70cc powered aircraft. As Stated above, You can edit any model to fly like any aircraft. All you need to do is get familiar with the Aircraft Editor and you will need to know the exact weights of the different components of the model your trying to replicate. You will have to edit each part which is pretty simple once you do it a couple times. going smaller is actually easier that going bigger and you get a better result doing so as Realflight doesn't like models that get too big and "unrealistic".

Also note that the stock models represent a "Perfect world setup" and that they are balanced exactly perfect to give the best performance possible. Also different Model kits of the same aircraft are not all going to fly the same as different materials and construction techniques do make a difference. I have a 50CC Extra 300L that is an 15 year old model and is all wood and it doesn't fly like a newer all fiberglass model of the same bird. None of my real RC Aircraft are setup perfect and and thus need to be edited in the Simulator to fly like my real world aircraft. If I had a Yak 54 it probably wouldn't fly like your Yak 54. Simple things like where the Fuel tank resides in the model makes a difference in the CG and it's stuff like this that can make a difference in how the plane files. There are Many many threads on this forum on exactly how to setup a model to more or less represent the real world counterpart and with some editing you can get it right.

Last edited:
thanks for the info guys , what is meant by different components ? Is it weight of batteries , servos , exhaust ect

thanks for the info guys , what is meant by different components ? Is it weight of batteries , servos , exhaust ect

That is part of it. the weight of the fuselage, the wings the vertical and horizontal tail parts. The weight of the landing gear and even the wheels. The size of the fueltank in ounces it carries, the total weight of the motor and its torque curve can and should be accounted for. The type of propeller and its Length/pitch needs to be added. The servo weight should be accounted for in the part you are editing as there is no selection for the weight of the servo however you can take account of the servo speed. If you have slow servos in your aircraft you can set the speed of each servo in the sim. In the aircraft I have replicated in the sim, I have weighed the fuselage with the Radio gear installed but no fueltank or main battery for an electric model. Each wing was weighed with the servos installed as were the parts of the tail. If the Wing had retracts, I took the weight of that away from the wing but added its weight to the landing gear that is attached to the wing. You get the Idea. On my helicopters I did it pretty much the same way. I have replicated some of my Real world models right down to the tenth of an ounce of real world flying weight, and power. My servo speeds are exactly what I fly on my real world models motors and engines are exactly the same weight and torque or Kv for electric motors. My battery packs weigh what my real world packs weigh and have the same discharge rates. On the few Gas/Glow powered aircraft I have I have even edited the torque curve to more accurately represent the "feel" of my engine. I get a pretty accurate representation of my model in the sim based on my real world setups. My setups I don't share as they are for me alone and wouldn't do anyone much good anyways as how I put my birds together may not be the way you put yours together :) Some of them are stock and others highly modified from original specs :D

Last edited:
here is a close match i just did following the Great Planes Yak-54 55cc ,WS 88 in Weight 18 - 19 lb , remember in this case the wing span has to take in account the fuse width as the wings touch the outside of the fuse not eachother i put in a DA 50cc , now this flys very good , but just as csgill said it is not how your plane is setup , but should give you a good head start on it , you can set servo speeds and control throws and radio setup , like expo to match yours

Attachments

• Yak-54 (3D) 55cc_AV.RFX
    51.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
thanks again , for the help , i wouldnt be able to weight the tailplane and fin because they are fixed to the fuselage , but i could weight the fus , and wings

thanks again , for the help , i wouldnt be able to weight the tailplane and fin because they are fixed to the fuselage , but i could weight the fus , and wings

you can add a mas if in the editor you right click on the fuse i think it is go in list and pick mass move it to the CG and add some weight to it if you think it's to light but i did go with in the specs of the Great planes Yak54 50 - 55 cc

Not sure what "Normal" internet browser you have. :eek: Im using GOOGLE CHROME! I had been watching this thread myself, and I downloaded the plane to my RF7.5. It arrived to my "Download" folder. Which is normal, also the same place a swap page aircraft would download to. Probably where yours is at? ;)
To transfer it from, the Download file, to RealFlight, Open "RealFlight Program". In the Main Menu (menu at the to of the screen)
Click, "Simulation". In drop down menu, go to, "Import", a drop down menu will appear. Click on; "RealFlight Archive (RFX,G3X)..." This will open a window.
In that window where it says "Look In", make sure "Downloads" is selected.
Click on the plane.(Yak-54(3d) 55cc_AV). That file name will now appear in the "File name" section. Click "OK"
This should take you back to the program.
A Green Message, at the bottom of the screen, will indicate, that Your Aircraft, was "Successfully Imported". (for a short period of time)
At this time, you are "SUPPOSED" to be able to, Click on that Green message, to Run this New Aircraft. Please wait, while dds initializes.
From past experience, Iv had a PROBLEM with this feature,(program: freeze/crash) in FULL SCREEN MODE.
I'v found, Its best, to load "NEW" Aircraft, from Windowed Mode. (Main Menu Showing at top of Program)

You can also select your "New Aircraft", from the "Quick select menu", or, go to the Main Menu; Aircraft>Select Aircraft> Custom Aircraft.
The first time a New Aircraft is selected, you will have to wait for the DDS to be created, be patient. Now your set
PS: Leave your thoughts on how you think the plane handled to you.

Last edited:

Give it your best guess on the weight of the tail feathers. you can be close. I got hyper accurate on some of my models and also weighed the parts before assembly or weighed replacement parts at the LHS :D they are probably 10-14oz for the horizontal stabs and the vertical is probably 5-8 oz. I'm just guessing as to it figuring your 55cc yak is pretty close to the same scale as my 50cc Extra 300L.

i've spent a few hours flying the yak doug supplied , and it does seem to fly better ....or should i say more realistically than the stock one , is feels heavier , and not quite as floaty and predictable as the stock one , i have added some wind and turbulence which also helps with the realism.

It doesnt fly like mine , but i didnt expect it to , as doug said i will have to mess about and tweak things , but its a step in the right direction :)

i've spent a few hours flying the yak doug supplied , and it does seem to fly better ....or should i say more realistically than the stock one , is feels heavier , and not quite as floaty and predictable as the stock one , i have added some wind and turbulence which also helps with the realism.

It doesnt fly like mine , but i didnt expect it to , as doug said i will have to mess about and tweak things , but its a step in the right direction :)

good i'm glad you were able to have help in the down load of the AV , and that you have been flying the Yak some , you will get the hang of editing , then look out everything you fly you will want to tweak to your liking , i pick if i can the size and specs off a site selling the real life RC airplane you want to make go by those settings and weights and power prop so on , sometimes i even make the CS that the RC plane has and add that to the AV

have fun

Back