Realism In Flight Does Seem to Be Here!

skubacb

I have been running through a bunch of aircraft in full realistic mode.

My conclusion is that stall on every aircraft is unrealistic. Many aircraft I can hold full up elevator, zero throttle and they never drop a wingtip. Heck, they are coming down so softly that you could land them this way.

Tried to edit stall characteristics but they were already at 100%. The Corsair in reality does high speed stall and snap. No here. Jerk back on the stick as hard as you want and it will not do a high speed stall.

Very disappointed here. I have my students use this for training. The can't learn about stall characteristics here worth a darn.

Is there anything I can tweak in the program to make things more realistic? Why have realistic mode so soft. There are two other modes were we can give students soft flying. Lets increase everything in realistic mode so it is realistic.

Guess I will go post this for Knife Edge since I understand they don't monitor the forums too closely.

Last edited:
I suggest moving the plane's CG aft until you get the desired effect. This will make the planes less stable. The planes in this sim are really designed for newer RC pilots. The great thing about this simulator is the ability to change the aircraft's physics to model anything you want to see. Sometimes, I wish RF would generate more crashes. Better in the sim than the field.

You are not going to see every flight envelop response in a RC model aircraft that you see in a manned aircraft. RC Airplanes are designed to eliminate bad characteristics. The foamies are a joke compared to a really scaled model. It sells more aircraft if they are easy to fly.

If you are looking for realism, X-Plane X might be a better choice. They also have CG warbird models for sale.

Last edited:
The stall characteristics on the modeled planes are VERY realistic especially given the modeled weights.

Do your real RC trainers drop a wing? I think not.... however rudder over hard in the sim and you'll see exactly the same behavior you get at the field.

If you want to see increased stall characteristics, increase the weight of the plane and edit the stall modifiers in the editor.

As 12oclockhigh said, you CAN modify things in Realflight.

I have our club trainers fully modeled in Realflight, including logos, etc.

I purposely underpowered our club trainers. I can get EXACTLY the same behavior in Realflight that we get at the field... so much so that Realflight is often used to familiarize new students to the characteristics of our Giant Scale gas powered fleet of club trainers and we recommend it for "at home" practice.

You can do likewise if you wish.

ipad%20pics%20215%20copy2.jpg

Last edited:
Jose and I sure agree on this... RF is a rich palleted tool for RC flying, modeling, and gaming.

Everyone does not use RF in the same manner, nor should they. The meat of RF will take you years to discover. It is no toy, though it can entertain you. Once you can really fly, the world of RF opens up to you.

Other universities have had more tools to the RF interface made available to them by KE.

One of the guys here is really good with the physics, he will likely join this conversation when he sees it.

Another thing to remember is a model is setup how the designer intends. The stock models are their interpretation, and I'm sure KE has some fairly knowledgeable people setting them up. Swap material is another story. I personally couldn't say if my models fly like they really do or not. I usually have someone else set them up in fact. So, if I get it back and am happy, it gets uploaded. Whether its realistic or not, I can't say.

Back