Recalibrate?

Tazman1602

Hello,

First post here, RF9 installed, proper, and works OK, BUT, I think I didn't read the 400 page manual completely and *may* have screwed up transmitter calibration and for the life of me can't figure out how to recalibrate for my plane --- any insights???

Many Thanks,

Art

To recalibrate your controller, which will affect the behavior of all models in the sim:
  1. From the main menu, select Simulation->Select Controller...
  2. Click to select the desired controller if more than one is listed.
  3. Click Calibrate.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

On the other hand, maybe you're talking about trim, which is a per-aircraft setting. Is the problem that you've adjusted the trim for one or more aircraft in a way that you don't like? This would affect some models and not others.

If so, simply restarting RealFlight will reset the trim for all stock models.

Trim settings are stored between sessions for custom vehicles. In those cases, your best bet is to:
  1. Turn on the Radio gadget (accessible via the Gadgets menu, or the Gadget Tabs on the left side of the screen, or simply by pressing "2").
  2. Load one of the vehicles with undesirable trim.
  3. Locate the trim levers in the radio gadget. Any that are colored red are not centered. Make adjustments as needed via your controller until all four trims are centered (not red).
  4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 as needed.

To recalibrate your controller, which will affect the behavior of all models in the sim:
  1. From the main menu, select Simulation->Select Controller...
  2. Click to select the desired controller if more than one is listed.
  3. Click Calibrate.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

On the other hand, maybe you're talking about trim, which is a per-aircraft setting. Is the problem that you've adjusted the trim for one or more aircraft in a way that you don't like? This would affect some models and not others.

If so, simply restarting RealFlight will reset the trim for all stock models.

Trim settings are stored between sessions for custom vehicles. In those cases, your best bet is to:
  1. Turn on the Radio gadget (accessible via the Gadgets menu, or the Gadget Tabs on the left side of the screen, or simply by pressing "2").
  2. Load one of the vehicles with undesirable trim.
  3. Locate the trim levers in the radio gadget. Any that are colored red are not centered. Make adjustments as needed via your controller until all four trims are centered (not red).
  4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 as needed.

Thanks so much, I should have more time to work with this today. This is a great program, within an hour my 20 plus years of not flying were shaking off the rust.

Art

Ryan,

Thanks again for the great advice, got there with zero problems but had trouble finding the "left slider" and "right slider" to calibrate. I got the spektrum manual and found them located on the back of the TX.

Maybe you can answer another question. As I've said, it's been 20+ years since I've flown and I can't believe how much the radios have evolved. That being said, my old radio was a Futaba 4-channel with a buddy box switch and a separate switch for flaps -- that was it! Now, even the low end transmitters have a plethora of switches -- some of which I understand and some of which I don't have a clue on and can't seem to put it together. I have looked through the manuals to find out exactly which switch controls what but there seems no definitive answers.

I'm guessing each switch must now be programmed separately? Man I feel bad for asking as I am a qualified Network Engineer, now retired and it should be a piece of cake for me.....but it's not!

Any help appreciated from anyone! Thank you!

Art

Man after being contacted by Ryan and having a few hours to poke around in the software I just had to say........what a well designed versatile flight sim! I'm *starting* to get the idea of the new transmitters and I simply can't believe the versatility of these spektrum TX's even though the learning curve is steep for me right now.

Great program and wonderful forum!

Art

The editor in RF is the most detailed of any RC simulator program. It takes some learning curve but once you've figured it all out you can do things in it that others don't come close to. It's one of the features that makes RF great.

Welcome back. I took a 30 years RC break myself and had to learn these new radios and all a few years back. I was used to crystal sets.

The editor in RF is the most detailed of any RC simulator program. It takes some learning curve but once you've figured it all out you can do things in it that others don't come close to. It's one of the features that makes RF great.

Welcome back. I took a 30 years RC break myself and had to learn these new radios and all a few years back. I was used to crystal sets.

I hear that! I have been having an absolute ball with this simulator program. Yes, for a few days now my learning curve has been straight up but man! This program is great! I get to fly with planes I never would have attempted back in the day without an experienced buddy boxer and don’t have to worry about crashing 100 hours of work and several hundred dollars worth of plane...

The posts here and other places help 100% for guys like me AND the best part is my 6 year old grandson knows the four basic axis of the aircraft control surfaces, what a joy!

Thanks again guys!

Art

Thanks MH, got it all trimmed out, Running in advanced mode -- a good friend and GREAT RC pilot advised me not to try to relearn skills using all the fancy fancy beginner mode stuff and I'm convinced he's correct. Makes it way too easy.

The key for me when I talked to him was he reminded me stick input should be itty-bitty movement of controls and I had been trying to yank the heck out of them, actually I'm doing very well for a 24 year layoff. Back then we had nothing like RF9 to at least get some stick time.

Things have *really* changed and my learning curve is about straight up at this time. Still attempting to figure out exactly what all the switches do on The DXe tx, I've actually got a DX8 I intend to use on our next project and I'm guessing the screen on that tx will make things a little easier to understand. Still wading through the umpteen million pages manual for both R9 and the DXe and DX8 tx's...

Many Thanks,

Art

Back