RF 5.50.019 Beta Full Screen Issues

Cross118 said:
This works for me: I start the sim via the launcher and when i get the dx-errors i just klick "Ok" on all of them. Then the sim starts, but with just a black full screen...

Then press ALT-Enter to go to window mode, exit the sim and restart...

It's both faster and easier than to change the .ini-file...

Hope it works for you too...

//Bo
Yes, I used to be able to get RF working using your method, a few months ago. You forgot the part where when you Alt-Enter on the black screen that it goes to windowed mode with a white screen. Your described method does not work for me. RF closes by itself instead of going to a black screen now.

td9cowboy said:
swampfox, are you saying that the priority setting reverts back to normal after every boot and that if we could somehow up the priority permanently that this issue would be solved?

I tried this little tiny file, and it seems to work to save the priority in taskmanager after G5.5 is started... :) (I Just installed the "Taskmanager GUI", you have two options during the install)

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-permanently-set-process-priority-in-windows-task-manager/

I still have some trouble sometimes to start in fullscreen mode, but at least the priority is saved...

P.S. I tried the win7 64bit file and scanned it with my updated F-Secure virusprogram and it didn't find anything suspiciuos, so I hope it's secure...

//Bo

Last edited:
If setting the priority SEEMS to solve the problem, your system has bigger issues.

Setting the priority may be permitting RF to steal processor time away from another application that is trying to obtain exclusive screen access.

Are you SURE you do not have a screensaver or other 3D program active?

What about Theming software, Aero, or Desktop Gadgets?

In my case, I have tried using a non-Aero theme, and not using my gadgets. It did not help me. Even if it did, I don't think I should have to sacrifice Aero or gadgets to run RF. KE used to have it working for me. My problem did not surface until I installed the first available G5.1. Prior versions were able to start up in full screen, even today.

I have seen error logs in windows reporting problems with Windows desktop manager related to Realflight. I wonder if that is the conflicting program that the OP on changing priority was successful at over riding by upping the launcher priority. Might be something for KE to investigate.

jeffpn said:
In my case, I have tried using a non-Aero theme, and not using my gadgets. It did not help me. Even if it did, I don't think I should have to sacrifice Aero or gadgets to run RF. KE used to have it working for me. My problem did not surface until I installed the first available G5.1. Prior versions were able to start up in full screen, even today.

Did setting the priority fix it?

Opjose, do you know of somewhere other than task manager that you could change the priority of the launcher that would make that change stick?

Try turning off the UAC, and make sure that you are a local administrator.

I found that some windows updates revert user accounts to limited "debug user" even though the account was originally set up as an administrator.

Also for yuks lower your screen resolution, reset RF and try again.

I'm curious as to what happens if you do all of this.

jeffpn said:
This did not work for me. I got this error.

Jeff? Did you try clicking this?

It Elevates the Task Manager so that you should be able to change the Priority.

It works on My side if I do that First.

(If you have and I didn't see it from skipping through the topic then sorry)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 23
But did you click that button and then try to elevate it? Or just go to the process tab then try to Elevate it?

Moo, I tried it and I was able to change the priority but it is a one time deal as it reverts back to its original setting when the launcher is opened again. RF did boot to full screen, but it sometimes does it without changing anything. I'm just going to wait for a fix, I'm not willing to make any more changes to my machine just to keep this software running smoothly. It's their job to get this software compliant with my operating system not the other way around.

Last edited:
Funny, I just had the same boot to full screen issue on my laptop. It has the Mobil Intel 4 Series Express Chipset family graphics. I started RF, and it started to boot up. Then, I saw my desktop with the familiar white square in the upper left hand corner. Only a few .cpp errors came up, around 7 of them. It went to the black screen, but I had trouble hitting Alt-Enter to change to the white screen windowed mode. Eventually, I just shut it down, and restarted RF in full screen mode. It worked okay the second time.

I'd love to try it out, Zach, but I have one small problem. I seemed to have misplaced my computer.

I've just done some pretty extensive testing of the .022 update and so far it appears that my problem with booting to full screen is gone. Thanks for putting in the extra effort to get this problem solved guys. This has been a tough nut to crack. Sorry about that puter problem Jeff. Too bad you can't check this out. IT'S GREAT!!! :D

Back