RF 8.00.023 Update Feedback

TomC

I have the download version of RF8 so this update was useful for me.

Since I fly RF8 in VR (with and Oculus Rift) and Non-VR modes I really like the option to start in either by adding the -novr or -oculusvr to the RF8 launcher. I've ended up creating 2 shortcuts to do either. Main advantage for me is that the non-vr mode does not try to start up Steam and force me to cancel it. Once I have run the -oculusvr I've found that I can just select RF from my Oculus core 1.0 home library the next time, no problems, and I never have to run the RF launcher ever again.

As far as VR goes, I do not see a lot of improvements. For me, with an Oculus Rift, there is still no water renderings (just flat blue). Night flying still has sky banding and looks terrible. Colours and contrast are still way too washed out. Both can be somewhat improved by adjusting the Sun azimuth (shift-page down or page up). Doing this makes it much more vr-flyable, and enjoyable for me.

Still the best RC Sim (VR or non-VR) on the market imho.

Thanks for the feedback! You're right, there are no changes to the rendering system in this update.

I haven't updated yet so I thought I'd ask this first. I'm one of the modelers so does this update fix the issue where the Spec Map TGA date code changes when you import a plane?

From what I can see if you don't use VR (me) and you're not having a problem this update won't really give you anything, it just fixes targeted issues, is that right?

Thanks Ryan !

Pretty much. The fixes will be super important to some users and not to others. And partly this update was necessary simply to bring the Steam and non-Steam versions of the software in line with each other, which is a parity we expect to maintain more closely from here out.

So, it's not a big update brimming with new features & content, but it's always best to run the latest. I do recommend updating when convenient.

The bad news is that .023 does not fix that .tga date change. The good news is I'm actually working on that right now. :) Do you also see it with normal maps? I would expect so but haven't quite gotten to testing it for myself yet.

I'm a simple guy so I rarely use normal maps but I just did a test with the plane I'm working on and yes both the _s.tga and _n.tga timestamp changed when I imported the plane. Both timestamps change when you select the .fbx file and click import before really importing the plane. If I'm correct that's when the fbx is converted to kex. At times I copy the kex file over to the plane directory after that first step when I don't want do the whole import process. That's while I'm tweaking the CS and need to make a minor change to the plane too. I'll have both the directories open and copy and paste the files (CS TGA mostly), but at times I need to do a minor change so I'll do that first step and then copy the kex file over instead of doing the whole import process.

Where's the best place to talk to you about something that might be a bug on your end? On two different planes now I've tried to use a 9 cylinder radial I modeled but I get the 'unexpected error box' which of course doesn't give me any info on what happened. But I can tell you in both cases after a while working on the plane I could finally use the 9 cylinder radial, the error just magically went away. So I'd like to find out what I'm doing wrong or what's possibly a problem in the import process so I can use the engine without all the trial and error going back and forth. So if you can help me let me know the best way to give you more information about it. But both the T-28 and F8F I modeled had that problem, and it just went away when I tried to use the engine later in the development process. A weird problem.

One simple feature I would like to see in the future is an overall volume control. I know you can mute it and adjust volumes in the editor for various things. It would be nice though to have one that adjusted everything at once. Sometimes I'm watching something on the same computer and would like to be able to lower the sim volume instead of just muting it all together.

Where's the best place to talk to you about something that might be a bug on your end? On two different planes now I've tried to use a 9 cylinder radial I modeled but I get the 'unexpected error box' which of course doesn't give me any info on what happened. But I can tell you in both cases after a while working on the plane I could finally use the 9 cylinder radial, the error just magically went away. So I'd like to find out what I'm doing wrong or what's possibly a problem in the import process so I can use the engine without all the trial and error going back and forth. So if you can help me let me know the best way to give you more information about it. But both the T-28 and F8F I modeled had that problem, and it just went away when I tried to use the engine later in the development process. A weird problem.

Hmmm. It's hard to say what was going on there without more info. We would probably need to reproduce the issue in house, which realistically means getting your source files when they are in a state that produces the problem. You could use any file sharing option of your choice to get them to us (feel free to PM me to avoid making them available to everyone).

Since it's happening sometimes and not every time all the time to everyone making a model, its priority would be a bit lower. But it sounds like something we would like to observe and either fix if it's on our end or help you avoid if it's not.

One simple feature I would like to see in the future is an overall volume control. I know you can mute it and adjust volumes in the editor for various things. It would be nice though to have one that adjusted everything at once. Sometimes I'm watching something on the same computer and would like to be able to lower the sim volume instead of just muting it all together.

You're in luck! :)

Attachments

• Master volume.png
    Master volume.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 27
Hmmm. It's hard to say what was going on there without more info. We would probably need to reproduce the issue in house, which realistically means getting your source files when they are in a state that produces the problem. You could use any file sharing option of your choice to get them to us (feel free to PM me to avoid making them available to everyone).

Since it's happening sometimes and not every time all the time to everyone making a model, its priority would be a bit lower. But it sounds like something we would like to observe and either fix if it's on our end or help you avoid if it's not.

Okay thanks like I said it's happened on two different projects with the same symptoms each time. I keep lots of versions of flies while I create a plane so when I have some time I'll see if I can't find a set of flies that does it and get them to you.

Don't know if this helps but when I first created the 9 cylinder radial I took the 5 cylinder radial I modeled the first time and deleted all the cylinders but the first one. Then I mapped that cylinder. Then I would select the 1st cylinder and drag it to create a copy. Then I would select the 1st cylinder again and drag it to create another copy. I did that until I duplicated the 1st cylinder 8 times. Then I took each of the duplicated cylinders and rotated it the proper amount and placed it on the engine case. I did that for all eight duplicated cylinders to complete the 9 cylinder radial. Then when I imported the plane I got the 'unexpected error box', so I deleted the last two cylinders I copied and tried it again, before rotating and placing them again and the plane imported fine. So I went back and rotated the cylinders again and placed them for a 7 cylinder radial and everything worked fine. Then near the end of the project I tried creating the 9 cylinder again, just selecting and dragging the 1 cylinder two more times (without placing them) and the 9 cylinder engine imported okay. So I went back once again and rotated and placed the cylinders to get a 9 cylinder engine. But I understand you need a set of files to duplicate this so I'll see what I can do to create a set for you. THANKS !

can not open realflight or update

My realflight will not open, nor will it download this new update. I am also not able to contact support through the launcher. Is this a bug, or just on my end?

Thanks ! :) .. never even bothered to look there. Now if it was just on some keyboard combo (Hint)

On my PC FN+F4/F5 adjusts overall volume and this is what I mainly use. Still, good to know that this option now exists since it used to be a pita to have to change all sound items separately.

KEError 24009

I just now tried to update to v8.00.023 and I get a KEError 24009 "Unrecognized task command."

Tried to update several times, but got the same error response every time. :confused:

Sure you have the right version? This update does not work with steam. Otherwise contact rf support.

Maybe try disabling any anti virus applications and then retry the update. Otherwise try contacting rf support by phone or email.

Followup regarding my KEError 24009 error while trying to update to v8.00.023.

The folks at Knife Edge suggested that I uninstall RF8, then reinstall. So, I did the reinstall routine and then the update worked perfectly! :)

FEEDBACK on RF 8.00.023 - Editing Planes = RF Crashing

FEEDBACK on RF 8.00.023
I am a newbie to RF but had problems editing planes (RF was crashing) until I changed the setting for LANGUAGE= ENGLISH ...then editing worked (was French for me before).

is it correct that the Steam and Boxed versions are now aligned with all the updates? I.E same versions?

I took off the boxed version and bought the Steam version due to the annoying VR startup options with the boxed version as Steam just manages the startup routine 10 times better.

They are currently on the same version. Updates tend to roll out faster on the Steam version though.

Back