RF 8 Sound Card Error

LouisLaPorte

RF 8 developed a new problem after working fine for almost 2 years. After launching RF8, I now get the following message: "Error initiating sound system. Soundcard does not support the minimum features needed for this sound system (16 bit stereo output." After clicking OK, I get another dialog box with: "Error creating sound manager. There was an error with your driver or you have no sound device installed." After clicking OK again, I get a third dialog box: "An unexpected error has occurred. Would you like to send an error report to Knife Edge Software?" After clicking "Yes" the application shuts down. My sound card drivers are up to date and sound works fine in all other applications. I can select another NVIDIA playback device by clicking on the sound icon (near the date and time) in the task bar, and RF8 will launch successfully--but with no sound. Again, this is a new problem after working fine for almost two years in the exact same configuration. Its not an accidental Mute issue. Nothing new with this computer, except the normal Windows 10 updates, which is my suspicion. The computer is a Dell XP 8930 with RealTek audio.

Attachments

• RF8 Audio problem 1.jpg
    RF8 Audio problem 1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 4
  • RF8 Audio problem 2.jpg
    RF8 Audio problem 2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 4
  • RF8 Audio problem 3.jpg
    RF8 Audio problem 3.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 4
RF 8 developed a new problem after working fine for almost 2 years. After launching RF8, I now get the following message: "Error initiating sound system. Soundcard does not support the minimum features needed for this sound system (16 bit stereo output." After clicking OK, I get another dialog box with: "Error creating sound manager. There was an error with your driver or you have no sound device installed." After clicking OK again, I get a third dialog box: "An unexpected error has occurred. Would you like to send an error report to Knife Edge Software?" After clicking "Yes" the application shuts down. My sound card drivers are up to date and sound works fine in all other applications. I can select another NVIDIA playback device by clicking on the sound icon (near the date and time) in the task bar, and RF8 will launch successfully--but with no sound. Again, this is a new problem after working fine for almost two years in the exact same configuration. Its not an accidental Mute issue. Nothing new with this computer, except the normal Windows 10 updates, which is my suspicion. The computer is a Dell XP 8930 with RealTek audio.
I have the same exact issue with RF 9. It just started a few days ago and I've searched and tried everything, including reloading the program with no luck. If you find a fix, please post it and I will do the same.

I would suggest first going into control panel and rolling back your sound driver to the previous one.

You could search for an older one online and try it then. It's gonna get worse when Win 11 comes out of testing. RF9 does NOT like it currently at least on my test system. Possibly it's related to it still using DirectX 9.

So far, RF8 is OK on Win11. I was VERY surprised when my PC upgraded to Win11Pro21H2 under the Windows Insider program last week. My understanding was that Win11 wouldn't install on anything less than 8th gen CPU, secure boot, and TPM2.0. I'm running an i7-4790, legacy boot, and TPM1.x. When it offered to install, I was expecting the install to fail.

"Error initiating sound system. Soundcard does not support the minimum features needed for this sound system (16 bit stereo output." Nothing new with this computer, except the normal Windows 10 updates, which is my suspicion. The computer is a Dell XP 8930 with RealTek audio.

I have the same exact issue... it just started a few days ago and I've searched and tried everything, including reloading the program with no luck.

The RealTek audio hardware on this computer (Dell XP 8930) does not support the latest audio firmware updates for 16 bit stereo output. You could check with Dell to see if they have a roll-back driver. Otherwise, check with RealTek for similar. Another idea would be to install a generic audio driver (not 16 bit stereo) and see if you can get the RealTek to work with that. The idea of using the NVidia sound device and drivers is your best bet; you'll need to use the Windows 10 settings for sound and select the correct sound device for output.
Also, you'll need to be using either HDMI or DP off your NVidia card to get the audio ! Not all display devices have speakers, but most have an earphone jack which may be piped to a powered speaker, etc.

PS edit: Your NVidia card may have an audio output jack on the back of the card, also. It may be an earphone jack, or it might be a line jack. In any case, it may be piped with a patch cable to a powered speaker.

marcus

Last edited:
Back