RF 9.5 Using new Win-11 Pro OS.

Oh the V5 version is supposed to have GDDR5 memory so it should be faster. The V5 GDDR5 runs at 3,000 the older version is SDDR4 and runs at 1,050. So the V5 should be a faster card. There are differences between the GDDR5 and SDDR4, like greater latency for GDDR5, but overall I think it's probably a little faster in the V5 (meaning higher memory bandwidth).

Last edited:
Benchmarks I saw said that my GTX960 is over twice as fast as the 1030, but uses about 3x the power. That HP's 310W p/s wouldn't run my 960 but should be fine for the 1030. I'm not sure whether the benchmarks were for the earlier or later version of the 1030. It looks like a good choice for RF.

Benchmarks I saw said that my GTX960 is over twice as fast as the 1030, but uses about 3x the power. That HP's 310W p/s wouldn't run my 960 but should be fine for the 1030. I'm not sure whether the benchmarks were for the earlier or later version of the 1030. It looks like a good choice for RF.
Yeah it should work for his 1920x1200 resolution. The newer 1030 V5 shows 30 watts on the NVIDIA website specs page, the older V1 showed 20 watts. That's why I assume the newer V5 would have a little more memory bandwidth.

Folks: You all have my sincere thanks for this advice. The new vid card I'm getting is this " PNY GeForce GT 1030 2GB (GMG103WN3H2CX1KTP) ". What Best-Buy-Geeks offered was their version V2 of this card series. I found the version V5. Got it from Amazon for $119. ship free; currently selling for $139. It's been a long time since I built a machine from lots-a parts (can you say, Win XP-Pro-SP3 Zombie-Case Coolant Gaming Machine, going Way Way Back to Win-3.0 on a Tandy 1000 ?), but I think I can do the job myself. And yes, I had to replace servos on my Timber and Twin Otter, plus do a lot of re-wiring re-configuration to get several DX8G2 "features" and TX to RX programming / mixing (AIL, FLP, RUD) done. But since it's so new, and if I screw up, it's on me; if the Geek Squad screws up, they owe me a new machine. It's only money, Right ??!!?? Remember, I Fly for Real; I Fly RC planes for fun; and I use RF9.5xxxx as practice since I don't have stock in any glue company. Wish me luck once this new vid card and my new 2-port DVI KVM switch arrives. Until then, I'll fly my Twin otter on Old Betsy. Thanks again.

Folks: You all have my sincere thanks for this advice. The new vid card I'm getting is this " PNY GeForce GT 1030 2GB (GMG103WN3H2CX1KTP) ". What Best-Buy-Geeks offered was their version V2 of this card series. I found the version V5. Got it from Amazon for $119. ship free; currently selling for $139. It's been a long time since I built a machine from lots-a parts (can you say, Win XP-Pro-SP3 Zombie-Case Coolant Gaming Machine, going Way Way Back to Win-3.0 on a Tandy 1000 ?), but I think I can do the job myself. And yes, I had to replace servos on my Timber and Twin Otter, plus do a lot of re-wiring re-configuration to get several DX8G2 "features" and TX to RX programming / mixing (AIL, FLP, RUD) done. But since it's so new, and if I screw up, it's on me; if the Geek Squad screws up, they owe me a new machine. It's only money, Right ??!!?? Remember, I Fly for Real; I Fly RC planes for fun; and I use RF9.5xxxx as practice since I don't have stock in any glue company. Wish me luck once this new vid card and my new 2-port DVI KVM switch arrives. Until then, I'll fly my Twin otter on Old Betsy. Thanks again.
Sounds like a plan to me. I hope everything goes smooth when you get your new parts.

Folks: It All Works. Not sure if start at the Beginning, or just the End. I’ll split the difference. Had 18- YO HP desktop/tower running Win-7 Premium, with its integrated Intel UHD vid card, DirectX9 compliant. Bought new HP with Win-11 Pro, but its integrated Intel UHD vid card only supports DirectX12 and above. Big problems trying to install RF 9.50.038 on this new machine. This is the cheapest solution I could find. NVIDIA Vid Card #1030 V.5 supports DirectX6 and above. To do lots of Temp twin-machine’s interconnections, cost me about $40. In cables, adapters, and a KVM switch. The Best-Buy Geek Squad installed the vid card, loaded all system updates, made the correct 1920x1200 resolution settings… all for $40, no tax if pay cash. Returned to Best-Buy, Staples, and Home Depot all “partially-used”, most unused, dongles and dangles. So, the Geek Install and services were almost a wash. Cost me only the vid card. RF 9.50 took its usual 45+ Mins. to load from both DVD/CD’s. Loaded, set-up, Registered, again, calibrated my DX8 clone RX, and flew a Night Timber from Evergreen Airport, which is a near exact copy of the RC field I usually (sic) “attempt” to fly from. As to those with Laptops (never owned one), all I can tell is what I learned from this experience. Intel and AMD both stopped supporting any/all versions of DirectX below V12. Only NVIDIA makes GPU’s that are backward compliant. It All Works. My thanks to those who helped.

Attachments

• NVIDIA GPU-1.jpg
    NVIDIA GPU-1.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 5
  • NVIDIA GPU-2.jpg
    NVIDIA GPU-2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
Back