RF Basic response is sluggish

scott245492

I just purchased RF basic yesterday and I have a problem that I hope someone here can help with.

While flying the program will work great for about 90 seconds then it will become sluggish and very erratic for about 60 seconds, then it will work fine again for about 90 seconds then erratic for 60 ... and so on ... The problem is bad enough that the plane becomes uncontrollable.

I have done some troubleshooting and have isolated the cause to RF Basic itself. After disabling all services, anti viruses, etc. - i.e. running RF Basic in debug mode it still performs the same way. I utilized task manager to watch processor activity while this is occurring and discovered that while RF is operating properly the program uses about 25-30% of processor 1, then when it becomes sluggish it begins consuming 95-100% of processor 1. This is while no input is occurring and the plane is just sitting idling on a runway.

Before purchasing I had downloaded the trial version on line and it performed the same way, but I thought at the time that the issue was related to the "Buy Now" advertisement that would pop up in the middle of the screen at about the same frequency so I did not think anything of it.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Scott

It is highly highly unlikely that the cause is RFB. These issues are usually caused by heat issues. RF will work your computer harder than it usually works, and can expose problems you ordinarily do not see. Clean out the dust bunnies. You can also call tech support.

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=22007

Both processors are only running 25-30% when this occurs and the temp on both processors is 42c at that time. Even while RF is bugging out the temps are still so low that the fans do not even ramp up. I run 3D programs that tax ALL the processors at over 60% and the video card at 100% without ever having an issue regarding heat.

If you would read my explanation you would understand that I have already troubleshot and isolated the issue. All processors are running within design limits as is the video card and the memory. Bus temp is also well within limits. What is happening is RF is cycling through a process every 90 seconds or so that max's out one of the processors and renders itself so sluggish and jerky that it is inoperable and what I am trying to find is a solution.

Thank you anyway for your expert insight.

Seems you're the expert. Let me guess: you are in the IT industry, right?? I wonder why everyone doesn't suffer from your issue. :rolleyes:

What did tech support tell you?

Here we go again, right Jeff?

What is happening is RF is cycling through a process every 90 seconds or so that max's out one of the processors and renders itself so sluggish and jerky that it is inoperable and what I am trying to find is a solution.

That's an (erroneous) ASSUMPTION, not a point of fact.

RF's CPU utilization is actually fairly consistent once a field has been loaded and the textures have been fully cached in RAM.

If you would read my explanation you would understand that I have already troubleshot and isolated the issue.

Eh, no you haven't. You're not even close.

Given the clockwork like frequency, it is more likely that either:

- You have background tasks kicking in
- Your computer is not keeping up with I/O, texture and sound fetches
- Your video settings may be more than the machine can keep up with.

Try:

- Running GameBooster 3, and select it's CONFIG screen. Terminate all recommended processes ( it will start them right up again for you when it exits )... Just don't install it's "shovelware" options.

- Lower any anti-aliasing, particle, shadow settings possible, both in the SIM and on your drivers.

- Drop the display resolution.

Then try running Realflight.

Does this solve the problem?

If so, crank things up one at a time until the issue returns, at which point you'll have found the culprit.

Last edited:
Back