RF sim planes = real planes ?

kimlawniczak

If i can fly the E flite Apprentice in the Sim in "safe intermediate mode", will I be able to fly a real E flite Apprentice if purchased from Horizon

Maybe.

The behavior of the plane in RF very closely mimics the behavior of the real one.
But there are a significant number of factors to also consider:
1. In the Sim, can you always takeoff and land the plane on the runway, from both directions, and never, ever crash?
2. In the sim, can you fly at yourself, and never ever give the "wrong" right or left control?
3. In the sim, when on final approach, can you use rudder as the primary directional control, and counter any tendency to drop a wing?
4. Will you fly the real under perfect conditions, as are default in the sim? (Answer = NO).
So practice in the sim with wildly different wind speeds, directions, gusts, lighting (sun) until you can answer #1,#2 and #3 in all the conditional variations you can come up with.
5. All sims (by the nature of the monitor) are terrible at giving you a complete field of view. In-Real-Life first flights can very nerve wracking due to this - and that you know it will be for real, with no reset button. Will you be able to recognize this, and anticipate?

The sim is fantastic for developing the needed eye-hand coordination. It cannot replace a real-life instructor.
Yes, I have had students that solo on their Apprentices after only a couple flights IRL. But they spent many hours mastering 1, 2 and 3 above.
Most do significantly better in much less time with sim practice, but it is much more common to still need hands on instruction before being fully capable to do it all on their own. And they then don't teach themselves all sorts of bad habits that a fully self-taught flyer can easily develop.
In reality, it is better to be able to meet 1,2 and 3 in Advanced mode in the Sim, first. Then if really determined to go on your own, in real life, do the first flights in the intermediate mode.

How do you change wind speeds, directions, gusts, and lighting (sun)? I am flying the Turbo Timber evaluation and the glide rate on the final approach is very different.
The real plane has a nice long glide rate but on the sim, it falls like a rock

Wind speed "Page up and Page down" keys,
Wind direction "Home and End " keys
Wind Turbulence "Insert and Delete" keys.
Sun inclination "Shift + Page up/Page" down keys
Sun azimuth "Shift + Home/End" keys.

How do you change wind speeds, directions, gusts, and lighting (sun)? I am flying the Turbo Timber evaluation and the glide rate on the final approach is very different.
The real plane has a nice long glide rate but on the sim, it falls like a rock
Are you landing with full flaps? I just tried, and without flaps it has a pretty nice glide in RF. But, as anticipated, with flaps all the way down, it's pretty draggy, and without some power comes down pretty fast.....but have never flown that model IRL.

I am lading with out flaps. I do this with my real Turbo Timber as well as Real flight Turbo Timber

Back