RF6 bugs

shoeler

I was really disappointed at the latest version of RF. I spent a lot of money upgrading because it was supposed this was supposed to be more realistic with helis than Phoenix.

First let me say the throttle/pitch stick on my "Heli" transmitter that came with the sim flops up and down really loose! Obviously its not supposed to be notchy, but for whatever reason its so loose that a puff of wind moves it. I think notchy would be better than floppy. I can live with that, whatever...

Things I can't live with however are the motor cut outs on most helis in the "mega heli pack." If you have tried a tick tock on the x5, or aurora 3d, or pretty much any of the helis you know that the motor cuts in and out?!?!?! What is up with that?

How about the tail blowing out on a lot of the models when you do a tick tock too. Especially the x5! The graphics look REALLY nice on it, and it sport flys really nice, but if you try to do some fun stuff and the tails blowing out then whats the point?? Heli physics still seem off!

Generally I don't think that RF has done much, if anything, to the heli side of the simulator. If they want to compete with Phoenix they have to resolve these issues and recruit some major 3D pilots to help them make the helis realistic. I started with G2, which is still in my basement, and I have spent a lot of money upgrading RF over the years to always keep it current. With the money I have donated over the years you would think they could recruit someone to fix these things! Phoenix however doesn't cost anything to upgrade and is rock solid.

I will say that I have always thought the planes work better on RF. I basically learned to fly off RF as a kid. The physics seem better represented on RF than Phoenix. As an instructor at our local field whenever a student asks advice on a sim purchase I always recommend RF for planes and Phoenix for helis.

shoeler said:
With the money I have donated over the years you would think they could recruit someone to fix these things!
Donated? I haven't "donated" a dime to KE or Great Planes. My time? That's an entirely different story.

Here's a nickels' worth of free advice, kid: Threads that atart off with rants like yours never go anywhere. They are rather entertaining, though. You need to be specific about your issues, which you started to do. Don't come off sounding like you're really from a competing sim, trying to badmouth RF. You won't be taken seriously. As for your controller, you may have gotten a bad one. The throttle should stay in the postion you put it, without flopping around. Call tech support, they will help you.

shoeler said:
Things I can't live with however are the motor cut outs on most helis in the "mega heli pack." If you have tried a tick tock on the x5, or aurora 3d, or pretty much any of the helis you know that the motor cuts in and out?!?!?! What is up with that?

How about the tail blowing out on a lot of the models when you do a tick tock too. Especially the x5! The graphics look REALLY nice on it, and it sport flys really nice, but if you try to do some fun stuff and the tails blowing out then whats the point?? Heli physics still seem off!

Yes, I noticed both the bugs. Have you noticed that, after a tail blow-out, the aileron is inverted?

Please, we need a fix!!

You might be able to bend the spring a bit to make it tighter on the throttle. I have the old Interlink Elite from G4.5 and I reversed my spring (by-passes the ratchet effect) and bent it until it matched the tightness of my DX6i. I know opening your TX voids the warranty but I often void my warranties (i.e. re-soldering a servo motor on a AR6400 BRICK), so I don't care about such things.

I don't have a mega pack so I can't verify the issues you are having, but I have all the expansion packs and stock aircraft. I haven't had motors cut out at all nor do I have tail blow outs on any of these Expansion pack and stock heli's.

Maybe someone else with a mega-pack can chime in.

If you are having any type of issue with the software please make a video using fraps showing the issue at hand. We need to be able to reproduce what you are seeing to fix the supposed issue. We also need to know if you have made any modifications to the heli you are flying.

Thanks,
Chris McVey

shoeler said:
I was really disappointed at the latest version of RF. I spent a lot of money upgrading because it was supposed this was supposed to be more realistic with helis than Phoenix.

Eh, the "upgrade" was only $50.00

shoeler said:
I
First let me say the throttle/pitch stick on my "Heli" transmitter that came with the sim flops up and down really loose! Obviously its not supposed to be notchy, but for whatever reason its so loose that a puff of wind moves it. I think notchy would be better than floppy. I can live with that, whatever...

Did your box come without a seal?

It seems like you received an Interlink that someone had screwed around with.

While the throttle is "light" there is some resistance to it, and there is NO WAY you could move it by just blowing on it.

shoeler said:
I

Dunno, NONE of mine do that.

It could well be that your Interlink is to blame.

shoeler said:
I

Specificity is a good idea.

I assume you mean that the tail is not holding direction when you use the term "blowing out".

I'm not seeing it, not that you're wrong, but you can always adjust the gyro response in the editor to your liking and/or change the tail/rotor/airfoil values for more hold.

shoeler said:
I

Generally I don't think that RF has done much, if anything, to the heli side of the simulator. If they want to compete with Phoenix they have to resolve these issues and recruit some major 3D pilots to help them make the helis realistic.

They have done so and , these issues don't appear on my system.

shoeler said:
I

I started with G2, which is still in my basement, and I have spent a lot of money upgrading RF over the years to always keep it current. With the money I have donated over the years you would think they could recruit someone to fix these things! Phoenix however doesn't cost anything to upgrade and is rock solid.

While you may have a valid problem with your particular Interlink be realistic when you complain.

You have NOT "DONATED" anything... did you cut KE a check and not receive ANYTHING back?

No you paid for a series of large upgrades and updates, plus new features and add-ons, expansion packs, etc... in each instance you paid a fee for a specific return... not a "donation".

Phoenix's seemingly "free" updates aren't... you get minor bug fixes but they haven't issued a major overhaul in a LONG time.

Aerofly has, and their upgrades make KE's $50.00 bump up look VERY cheap.

So you can argue about the glass being half empty or full but it is irrelevant to your original problem/observation...

Don't use the "throw in the kitchen sink" approach when making a point, it detracts from your meaning...

shoeler said:
I will say that I have always thought the planes work better on RF. I basically learned to fly off RF as a kid. The physics seem better represented on RF than Phoenix. As an instructor at our local field whenever a student asks advice on a sim purchase I always recommend RF for planes and Phoenix for helis.

Back to the problem at hand...

Could your controller be to blame?

Last edited:
Chris McVey said:
If you are having any type of issue with the software please make a video using fraps showing the issue at hand. We need to be able to reproduce what you are seeing to fix the supposed issue. We also need to know if you have made any modifications to the heli you are flying.

Thanks,
Chris McVey

In attach. It's 58 seconds from start of recording. You can see a tail blow out followed by the inversion of aileron. I enclosed also the variant of X5 used. I only modified the DR and Expo.

Many thanks.

Alessandro

Attachments

• RF6Issue.zip
    134 KB · Views: 16
Wow, didn't realize that this "kids" comments(even though I have 3 children of my own, thanks for making me younger!) would push such a big button for you gentlemen. Obviously Realflight is very important to you or you must be in a more intimate relationship with KE.

I would me more than happy to help out as best as I can. Can't say that I know how to record video of the flying to demonstrate the bugs to you, but if you indicate how to do it I would be happy to show you. More easy would be to focus on the Guai X5. Load it up and just do a large slow rainbow back and forth. Start speeding it up and getting yourself into a quicker back and forth tick tock and you'll notice that the tail kicks out to one side. That's what I called the blow out. Another way I have seen it act funny is, SPECIFICALLY the Guai X5, when its inverting. While you hover inverted take only your pitch/throttle stick and go up and down slowly and work your way up to a hard bounce, without moving the rudder, and you should notice the tail does not hold. It shakes back and forth... Now I know since I just said I am not a kid your thinking that I am an old guy shaking my hands back and forth and I just can't move the stick up and down without moving the rudder. I would like to think that I am doing it pretty evenly up and down without deviation, since I do work as a dentist making precise cuts into peoples teeth all day long.

I know opjose mentioned that the interlink controller might be at fault, but I doubt that. I agree that my throttle stick isn't normal and I probably could get it warrantied, but to be honest I got my screw driver out since this mornings post and switched out the metal plate(since RF sends both metal plate styles). Now it is notchy instead, which I can live with. Anyways a gentleman in our club recently decided to open a hobby shop nearby and I have helped him with quite a few things since he is new to the hobby. One of which was helping him get his RF kiosk going and demoing it for a few of his customers. As such I have seen similar bugs on specifically the Gaui x5.

Now excuse me for earlier, maybe I was a litte dramatic and should have said purchased rather than donated. You are correct I did receive products for my money. I did however give someone my G5 version and purchase the new G6 with controller and heli mega pack. I was merely trying to convey a point, just as I did with the idea of blowing on the throttle stick.

After playing around more with it today I did find the Synergy N5 FBL, and TT Raptor 90 G4 FBL to be more realistic and enjoyed playing with them. Just as an overall comment, as I mentioned before, I feel like helis on RF aren't as realistic to real life... The physics just seem off a little, I think phoenix has a much closer feel. There again, phoenix's airplanes aren't as good as RF. Not badmouthing RF or Phoenix! I am just telling it like it is, IMHO.

shoeler said:
A lot of times is how things are said. ;)
A visual demonstration is usually best to support your bug report.

This one has been bugging me for a while, finally got around to making a vid of it.
Notice the motor appears to almost cut out when throttle stick is returned to neutral after a hard collective input.

(Rename .RFX to .wmv to view)

Attachments

• Heli Delayed motor loading.RFX
    12.6 MB · Views: 8
phrank said:
A lot of times is how things are said. ;)
A visual demonstration is usually best to support your bug report.

This one has been bugging me for a while, finally got around to making a vid of it.
Notice the motor appears to almost cut out when throttle stick is returned to neutral after a hard collective input.

(Rename .RFX to .wmv to view)
Definitely big apologies to the gentlemen here... Didn't think it came out so harsh. How do I watch these videos you folks are posting?

Like phrank said - you have to change the file extension. Can you see file extensions in your folder? They are hidden by default.

Got it, they were hidden. That throttle cut is what I have seen. I don't think I have seen it anywhere other than mid stick range...

Yup, the vid is an extreme example, but in normal flight, it's subtle enough to be annoying.
On the funnel bug, seems like the FBL freaks out when the tail blows out, would you be able to make a close up recording of the phenomenon?
Hopefully a close up indicating the inversion.
When I try, my reflexes are not fast enough to think backwards when the reversal happens.
Post a .recording I can convert to video for the rest of the class.

Phrank try those. I couldn't get Alexvan's files to work, would you please convert his for me.

Attachments

• Shoeler_Gaui X5_1.recording
    21.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Shoeler_Gaui X5_3.recording
    57 KB · Views: 3
Done, same as above, change .rfx to .wmv to view.

Attachments

• Gaui X5 1.RFX
    11.4 MB · Views: 10
  • Gaui X5 3.RFX
    21.8 MB · Views: 4
Nav guide is not fully functional for a .recording replay.
The vid I posted earlier is not from a replay, the telemetry looks correct there.

shoeler is right, the sim Gaui X5 acts just like he says but in the case of tic tocs if you keep the esc and the head loaded up it isn't as noticeable. It's noticeable when you pass through zero pitch on the collective stick. If you can keep the head loaded it isn't so bad. Increasing the governor gain doesn't seem to affect things much either.

TM

phrank said:
Yup, the vid is an extreme example, but in normal flight, it's subtle enough to be annoying.
On the funnel bug, seems like the FBL freaks out when the tail blows out, would you be able to make a close up recording of the phenomenon?
Hopefully a close up indicating the inversion.
When I try, my reflexes are not fast enough to think backwards when the reversal happens.
Post a .recording I can convert to video for the rest of the class.

You are correct in normal flight it didn't happen. But I'm learning 3D so...

Having a close up is difficult because it didn't happen every time but only in a random way. It seems triggered by a fast transition from full positive to full negative pitch or the opposite.

Probably KE is able to better analyze the file.

Back