RF6 - First Impressions

swilson317

I received Real Flight 6 as a Christmas gift as my fiancé knew that I was interested in getting into flying helis. I have already sent a few emails to support, but now realize that I was sending to Great Planes support rather than support specifically for RF6. Maybe that's why I haven't received any replies! :)

I've never used an RC Flight Simulator before, so I can't compare it to others. I haven't even flown MS Flight Simulator in years. I'm not a gamer. I'm into gliders and am slowly getting back into the hobby. But I'm really interested in RC Helicopters and the unique challenge they afford. After reading many articles and posts, a flight simulator seemed to make a lot of sense and would pay for itself in avoiding crashes with the real heli.

Here are my first impressions:

Pros

1) Graphics seem very good
2) Lots of airplanes and several fields to choose from (I received RF6 with both expansion packs)
3) The reset/rewind button is very handy
4) Although I've read that the physics, in some cases, is off, it seems pretty realistic and is still very good

Cons

1) My InterLink controller does not match those advertised. Mine has a ratcheted throttle and the Ch. 6 knob is on the top rather than the face.
2) All of the training videos have audio that has an echo.
3) I've been getting software errors here and there. I need to document and report them.

Features That I Feel Are Missing (my Request for Enhancement (RFE) list)

1) There should be a simple way to pause the program. I haven't found a way to do so.
2) I'd like to be able to sort the aircraft list by type of power plant; i.e., glow plane, electric plane, glow heli, electric heli, and glider. The current OOTB sort options aren't very useful.
3) It would be nice if the heli didn't explode when touching the edge of the ring in the hover training mode. I'd like the option to have it either automatically reset or briefly display some kind of graphic and play a sound when touching the edges allowing you to continue without stopping.
4) I would like to see some kind of game included that would make training on the heli (or airplane) fun...something that would require skill of maneuvering to score points with various levels of difficulty.
5) I'd like a way to flag and recall various aircraft as favorites.

Maybe some of these features exist and I have missed them. If so...please let me know. But...bottom line...I'm having fun with my new "toy" and can't wait to get my first CP heli.

Thanks, Steve

Last edited:
swilson317 said:
Cons

1) My InterLink controller does not match those advertised. Mine has a ratcheted throttle and the Ch. 6 knob is on the top rather than the face.
There are 2 types if RF6 packages sold, looks like you got the Airplane Megapack version.

swilson317 said:
2) All of the training videos have audio that has an echo.
If your physics speed isn't set to 100% it might do that.

swilson317 said:
4) I would like to see some kind of game included that would make training on the heli (or airplane) fun...something that would require skill of maneuvering to score points with various levels of difficulty.
The Grapple is a heck of a workout as well as a great hover exercise, try out some of the variants/airport at the swaps.

For the various errors: make sure you installed 9.0c from the install disk and didn't skip that part (even if you already have dx10 or dx11)

The grapple can be used as a tail hook. Although, I still have yet to snag something.

The hover trainer you can have it start the heli mid air, facing a certain way,
I also found the ring explosions very annoying,

In 3.5 I used the Garage airport, the desert looking one
and they have some square boxes I used as pretend boundaries.

You can use the menu on the top to finx the key for aircraft start position (maybe "X" I am not at the sim ATM) and I remember one of them being in one of those boxed areas on the ground.

Then you can use your own judgement to stay inside the box. and land or reset as you like.

The heli orientation trainer is more like a game with increasing dificulties, however I found I liked to practice landing on tables or going thru doorways in certain airports more rewarding.

You can use "P" on the keyboard to set your heli start position, so if you land it somewhere you like, you can start from there with the reset button.

Sometimes I want to practice some "from launch" acrobatics and I am in a gas heli, I like it on the ground, but fully spun up, so I let her spin up and then hit "P".
That saves the state, and when I hit the controller reset I am ready to go again at full speed.

Back