RF7.5 Upgrade Discontinued

The focus is on RF-X. It's only a matter of time before they stop selling realflight 7.5 all together.

So quit selling the only product you have that the majority of people buying your product can run. I don't think so! But maybe that's what they'll do, gosh.. it's a cash cow don't kill it. To me there's no way RF 7.5 is hurting RF-X sales, the word is out on RF-X and you can run it or not. Word of mouth, it's a small hobby.

So quit selling the only product you have that the majority of people buying your product can run. I don't think so! But maybe that's what they'll do, gosh.. it's a cash cow don't kill it. To me there's no way RF 7.5 is hurting RF-X sales, the word is out on RF-X and you can run it or not. Word of mouth, it's a small hobby.

I doubt it's a Knife Edge Decision. I would guess that it is a decision of the publisher to discontinue the older software.

The wireless version, interface version and Tactic radio versions are still available for now.

Last edited:
I doubt it's a Knife Edge Decision. I would guess that it is a decision of the publisher to discontinue the older software.

The wireless version, interface version and Tactic radio versions are still available for now.

Oh yeah.. the publisher. They put up the bucks and they call the shots. But it's there money to loose. I'd sure like to know the sales for both products. The best thing they can do to increase the sales of RF-X is the fix the stuttering completely, no matter what the cause and also fix the weird texture flashing in the rock cliffs in a distance. Then be more honest about the optimal system. Then people buying it will get what they pay for and not bash it. RF-X is the future it has lots of cool stuff going for it, but it's just too far from being prime time.

Why make a discounted upgrade version available when they want you to pay full price for RF-X? They just don't want to lose a full price sale of RF-X to an upgrade sale of RF 7.5. It is just competing with yourself and losing the higher profit margin when someone buys a 7.5 upgrade disc.

I disagree. 7.5 upgrade could be PURE PROFIT. It's already paid back its development costs. They could sell a downloadable 7.5 upgrade with essentialy NO cost to KE. When I bought my upgrade, there was already a huge download to get it up to date - why not compile a new ISO of 7.5 that's downloadable & up-to-date? No packaging, no shipping, no CD duplication costs.

Granted they'd RATHER sell RF-X, but they've locked out 90% of their potential customers with the extreme hardware requirements. I REFUSE TO and/or CANNOT pay $500-$2000 for an RC simulator & the new hardware it NEEDS. 7.5 runs perfectly well on the PC's that 90% of us already own.

I agree RF 7.5 isn't competition for RF-X, it's pure profit. But these decisions are made by the publisher not the developer. It was there money and if they see it as competition (wrong thinking) they would want to get rid of it. But like you said these are totally different products. RF-X will become what it should be in time if the publisher supports it. If it had all the features of 7.5 without the problems it has now lots more people would spend the money to upgrade for it.

Really,

Bill may be right, if so he should purchase the sales rights to RF7.5 and start selling to the world. Failing that, he should direct this kind of opinion to the Publisher and/or developer directly, and leave us out of the loop. We have no influence on this decision. We can agree and disagree all day long. At the end of the day, all we have done is flapped our gums and nothing has been accomplished. Kinda like congress.

12:00, you might be right. But I KNOW that the KE people at least occasionally LOOK at what we're saying here even though they don't participate much. One would think that our opinions as loyal repeat customers should carry at least a LITTLE weight. As a loyal RF customer since RF2, I pre-ordered RF-X even though the users here said it probably wouldn't run well with my video card. That opinion was confirmed (3-6fps), even though according to the Passmark benchmark, my Quad Xeon PC is better than 80% of the PC's they've tested. I have a better video card now (2G Quadro K2000), but I'm sure it's still not good enough for RF-X. It only benchmarks about 3x my old 2G GT430, but it was free - pulled from a recycled PC at work. 3DMark benchmarks are 659/1685/8757 for the 2 cards I've had, and a GTX1060 which everyone here says is STILL not good enough for RF-X, even though it's the minimum recommended. My K2000 gives me 70-100fps in 7.5 which is MUCH better that the ~25-50fps I got with the GT430. I returned RF-X & bought the 7.5 upgrade so I can't test it, but I'm guessing the K2000 would give me maybe 20fps in RF-X.

Really,

Bill may be right, if so he should purchase the sales rights to RF7.5 and start selling to the world. Failing that, he should direct this kind of opinion to the Publisher and/or developer directly, and leave us out of the loop. We have no influence on this decision. We can agree and disagree all day long. At the end of the day, all we have done is flapped our gums and nothing has been accomplished. Kinda like congress.

Ba.. Hum-Bug!

User-To-User Forum... we share opinions here!

Our publisher has confirmed that the 7.5 Upgrade is discontinued. As I understand it, they plan to continue selling the full 7.5 package for the foreseeable future.

Online updates are still available for older versions of our products going all the way back to RealFlight G3. Multiplayer is still supported all the way back to G4.5. Last I heard, product support would still make an attempt to help users with very old versions of the software even though they are officially discontinued.

I understand why some don't like to see the upgrade option end. I just want to point out that even when a product is discontinued--which 7.5 itself is not--that doesn't mean the product just goes away.

Maybe KE should first fix the FBX import for RF-X, as of right now it neither imports smoothing groups nor textures.

Can you please post in the RF-X Designer's Corner and provide more details? I am not aware of any issues that sound like what you're describing.

I disagree. 7.5 upgrade could be PURE PROFIT. It's already paid back its development costs. They could sell a downloadable 7.5 upgrade with essentialy NO cost to KE. .

All the money goes to the same company so 7.5 upgrade or RF X software only are both "pure profit". They don't make the discs or sell the upgrade codes anymore so I am sure they had a meeting and came up with a reason. The fact that they still offer the full version of 7.5 should tell you they just don't want a $50 option out in the market. I guess they figure those who want to upgrade will be just fine skipping over 7.5 and paying full price for X. If the 7.5 upgrade was still out there I am sure the RF X software only sales would drop.

Yeah it's okay to me to drop the 7.5 upgrade my comments were entirely about RealFlight 7.5, its a great product who's time 'hasn't' passed yet. It will but not yet.

Back