rf9.5 planes on rf 8

I tried this plane in RF 7.5 and RF 8. It imported okay in both but in RF 7.5 it caused an unexpected error when I tried to select and fly it. It imported and flew in RF 8 so I took a look at the physics and I think the problem is the modeler didn't create a collision mesh for it. I say that because of the size of the Total Triangles (Collision) in the physics. Normally that value would be 1,000 or so triangles not over 100 thousand triangles. I was guilty of the same thing when I first started modeling so I learned it the hard way.

Extreme Flight Slick 105 5.jpg

Seems to fly OK in RF8.00.056. Took a while to generate DDS & load, with a couple error messages:
View attachment 135007
Yes I seen those too. The reason it took so long to create the DDS and load is how many triangles the plane has. And on less powerful graphics cards that time increases. But it took a fair amount of time even for my 1080, which isn't that fast these days, but very fast for RF. (Not RF-X)

Last edited:
Yes I seen those too. The reason it took so long to create the DDS and load is how many triangles the plane has. And on less powerful graphics cards that time increases. But it took a fair amount of time even for my 1080, which isn't that fast these days, but very fast for RF. (Not RF-X)
Hey and are you fine with my reqeusting a model for to make its one my dad has and in not in the sim yet

Hey and are you fine with my reqeusting a model for to make its one my dad has and in not in the sim yet
I have a project waiting on me so I'm not looking for anything new right now but I'd still like to know what it is. Who knows one of the other modelers might want to do it.

Q
I have a project waiting on me so I'm not looking for anything new right now but I'd still like to know what it is. Who knows one of the other modelers might want to do it.
Its a re scheme for the yak54 would absolute love this scheme in the sim

Attachments

• download.jpeg.jpg
    download.jpeg.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 2
  • THUMB_W400_Y-03_S[1].png
    THUMB_W400_Y-03_S[1].png
    303.2 KB · Views: 2
Is there a way to modify aircraft?
Yes. That's why the editor is provided in every version of RF to edit the performance/electronic parameters and create an Aircraft Variant - an AV file. But this does not edit the appearance of the aircraft. If you create an electric powered variation of an aircraft, you'll still see the internal combustion engine. You can also save an aircraft's Color Scheme - a CS file. But there is no built-in color scheme editor. You must use an external photo editing program like photoshop (expensive) or gimp (free) to re-paint an aircraft. But you can't make changes to the visible physical configuration of the aircraft. The physical 3D SHAPE of the aircraft can only be changed by the original modeller because that info is not saved in the aircraft file. For instance, (AFAIK) you can't make a trike gear variant of a tail dragger model.

I tried this plane in RF 7.5 and RF 8. It imported okay in both but in RF 7.5 it caused an unexpected error when I tried to select and fly it. It imported and flew in RF 8 so I took a look at the physics and I think the problem is the modeler didn't create a collision mesh for it. I say that because of the size of the Total Triangles (Collision) in the physics. Normally that value would be 1,000 or so triangles not over 100 thousand triangles. I was guilty of the same thing when I first started modeling so I learned it the hard way.

View attachment 135008
7.5 still has the 26,000 poly limit. I’m guessing that’s why it’s not importing there. Can’t look for myself so just a guess.

7.5 still has the 26,000 poly limit. I’m guessing that’s why it’s not importing there. Can’t look for myself so just a guess.
Oddly enough RF 7.5 doesn't have a problem importing a plane with more than the 26k limit, but often when you don't have a collision mesh the plane causes an unexpected error after you select it. That plane imports just fine and shows up in the select dialog box but causes an unexpected error when you hit the OK button.

I import planes way above the 26k limit all the time that have a collision mesh. Here's one of mine that is 71k total triangles but you can see from the picture the collision mesh is about 1k, that's the tell-tale sign that the modeler created a collision mesh for it. The other plane had a 117k collision mesh. RF dupes the plane when it doesn't find a dedicated collision mesh.

Here's my Challenger XL in RF 7.5.

RF 7.5 Challenger XL.jpg

Oddly enough RF 7.5 doesn't have a problem importing a plane with more than the 26k limit, but often when you don't have a collision mesh the plane causes an unexpected error after you select it. That plane imports just fine and shows up in the select dialog box but causes an unexpected error when you hit the OK button.

I import planes way above the 26k limit all the time that have a collision mesh. Here's one of mine that is 71k total triangles but you can see from the picture the collision mesh is about 1k, that's the tell-tale sign that the modeler created a collision mesh for it. The other plane had a 117k collision mesh. RF dupes the plane when it doesn't find a dedicated collision mesh.

Here's my Challenger XL in RF 7.5.

View attachment 135034
hey also i got a strange problem in rf8 when i click host or join in multiplayer mode nothing happens

If you're curious why the Challenger XL has so many triangles it has a detailed 4 cylinder four stroke engine you can see when you drop the cowl. (CH8 3 Pos. Switch Forward).

Back