RF9.5s Steam really annoying

af88

I don't care for Steam and don't play games. I just want to download the installer just like on the 9.5 DVD and install it on my machine. I did the conversion and got the Stink key and now I can't uninstall stink and use RF9.5s. Even if you move the install folder out of Stink and uninstall it, it will not launch. What gives, why do I have to be tied to Stink to use RF9.5s, I don't want stink running in the background.

This is quite irritating and I've send HH an email to see if I can get the DVD and most likely they will say no. If this is going to be forced now I'm done with RF.

Steam literally provides zero value added to the experience. I don't think there is a way around this the more i read up on stink. If HH is going to force me to run steam in the background than i can no longer support HH

Steam is responsible for the DRM/Copy Protection and you must run Steam to use Realflight. There is no way around this. Steam is the best distribution service out there and is very reputable. I've used it for 13 years without a single issue and over 4,000 game titles in my library. It should be very easy to use, just login to your steam account and run the software. If you are not online, you can open Steam in offline mode for the times you aren't on the internet.

Steam has become almost necessary these days with the growing amount of software piracy that happens. It really is reliable and you can run software purchased via steam without having to be online all of the time though at some point you do need an internet connection to load the software you buy. I admit that I much preferred having physical media when I bought a piece of software but times change. Many computers these days don't even have a dvd drive.

I've never had a problem with the Steam software getting in the way of my use of the software bought through them.

Do I need to do a full install to get 9.5 or is it smart enough to just update the 9.0 already installed?... (Asking this because I really don't want to do all the extra imports of models and extra's again and the customisation of my transmitter settings) As I see it the only gain is to have the 40mm F-14 and Draco...

I'm sticking with 9.0 frankly if this is the way moving forward or I'll do without real flight updates or all together. Nothing wrong with the older model if you ask me, you don't need a DVD, you can download the SW and enter your key. I don't want or need stream running in the background, period.

I'm sticking with 9.0 frankly if this is the way moving forward or I'll do without real flight updates or all together. Nothing wrong with the older model if you ask me, you don't need a DVD, you can download the SW and enter your key. I don't want or need stream running in the background, period.
Really up to you mate imho.

You mean these Download links? https://www.realflight.com/dlrf9/

Those links no longer seem to work since Realflight went to Steam so Unless you have the DVD copy, you are going to be using the Steam version for reinstalls.

The links work just fine, I just tested them now. In any case good luck guys ill bow out moving forward and they lost me as a customer.

The links work just fine, I just tested them now. In any case good luck guys ill bow out moving forward and they lost me as a customer.
Steam works great. Too bad you cannot see the advantages of using it (eg. easy updates and being able to use it on multiple PC's, one at a time). Anyway, your choice I guess.

I guess HH is going to have to revise their forward sales projections downward, lol! Seriously though, I've owned all RF versions since RF G2 but 9.5 is going to be the very last dx9 based version I ever buy.

+1 on the PITA aspect of Steam.

But my experience has been that, once I got through the excessiva CAPTCHAs and confusing screens, Steam faded into the background and did not bother me any more.

Now I just doubleclick on the RealFlight desktop icon and the app starts up

There are no updates, everything is a paid upgrade - worst choice ever made by RealFlight. Steam/HH employees need not reply.

There is little chance of any Steam employees posting here.

By the time of the 9.5S release, RealFlight 9 was a fairly mature product. We did not release many updates for it after that point, though there were a couple.

RealFlight 9 as a whole did receive a number of updates over the course of its life.

My computer experience began in the 1970s, with Fortran and paper punch cards; before keyboards and monitors were introduced. I retired several years ago, after decades at a major technology company, where I was engaged in the business aspects of software development. Commercial software development, distribution and service is complex, expensive and requires a lot of resources. It is way more difficult that most people envision.

Over the years, the only constant has been change - for the better. In recent years, commercial software has moved towards Software as a Service and subscriptions. We do instant downloads instead of swapping stacks of disks, and we buy licenses instead of actually owning software code.

The transition of RealFlight Evolution to Steam to be a continuously-updated product aligns Horizon with current software industry practices and makes RealFlight a better product for us, too. Doing the transition to Steam for Evolution without doing the same for the other RF versions would require dual sales and support models, potentially doubling those costs and resource requirements. It would be a bad business decision and would likely require higher product prices.

The transition to Steam keeps the prices reasonable and allows Horizon to focus their budget and resources on making the product better. I think it was a smart move.

Last edited:
Steam is responsible for the DRM/Copy Protection and you must run Steam to use Realflight. There is no way around this. Steam is the best distribution service out there and is very reputable. I've used it for 13 years without a single issue and over 4,000 game titles in my library. It should be very easy to use, just login to your steam account and run the software. If you are not online, you can open Steam in offline mode for the times you aren't on the internet.
Hello, how do you "open Steam in offline mode"? I use a dedicated PC that is only open to the internet for updating. Thanks

On the Steam home page, click on "Steam" (top left corner) in the dropdown menu click the "Go Offline" tab.

Back