RF9 Download & MacBook Pro 2020 Bootcamp Solution

theshield35

RE-POST

Wanting to try the new RF9 with my new 2020 16” MacBook Pro, I discovered the dreaded “black screen” while attempting to play. The download was successful but after launching, the application would get to the Tx calibration screen and then turn to a black screen. My system was up to date with latest drivers and security features – at least I thought so according to the driver system status.

For those who experienced this problem it’s frustrating when you think you have the latest of everything; especially with limited tech support. After numerous attempts for a viable solution failed with tech support from Horizon Hobby, Geek Squad – and no response from Knife Edge – I found a solution through AMD Support and Bootcampdrivers.com.

Some may know the solution but I wanted to convey my experience for those who are left scratching their head. Please keep in mind, the recommended solution was directly provided by AMD Tech Support (I am not an IT guy). Also, I tried removing and installing the new drivers through the AMD website but this did not work so AMD recommended Bootcampdrivers.com but could not provide support or assistance because it's an “outside vendor.”

My System: Windows 10 updated to latest version & AMD Radeon Pro 5300M Graphics
This is what worked:
  1. Enter Windows OS after installing from Bootcamp – make sure you allotted enough room for RF9 during the Windows setup process.
  2. Ensure ALL Windows 10 updates are done
  3. Uninstall RF9 if already installed
  4. GO to https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/ and review the driver installation video. There is a shorter video, which I used (
    )
  5. Follow the steps exactly for AMD Driver removal and installation of AMD April 2020 Adrenalin Blue Enterprise Edition (best for MBP 16” and Radeon 500 series). Please note, there is a later version available BUT some have experienced the black screen with the latest version. The driver packaging version I am using is 19.50.29.20. I have NOT attempted to update the drivers.
  6. IMPORTANT: Once this is complete you MUST restart Windows in NORMAL mode NOT safe mode to finish the installation. The video shows you can extract and install the application from Safe Mode, however, this did not work. To complete the installation of AMD software, make sure you are in normal Windows mode and then run the setup.
  7. To get out of Safe Mode – Type msconfig in the open box. Click Boot and then restart in Normal Mode.
  8. In normal mode continue the setup process
  9. Install RF9 and update to latest version
  10. Hopefully this works for you!

Thank you for this. I have the exact same problem. However, I have a December 2019 16” Macbook Pro running Radeon Pro 5500M. Can I still follow your same instructions?

Thank you for this. I have the exact same problem. However, I have a December 2019 16” Macbook Pro running Radeon Pro 5500M. Can I still follow your same instructions?

You shouldn't have a problem. AMD advised me this should work with 2019 models. Post your findings.

I’ll let you know once I reinstall windows. I ran into problems, probably of my own making. When I restarted into SafeMode I would always get stuck at a screen saying I had no internet connection. So then I got out of SafeMode and tried it again. Then, I’m not sure but I think I clicked on uninstall AMD drivers...I know the video said not to do that but at this point I had been stuck in a loop and was out of sync with the video. Everything went downhill from there. Anyway, I’m resetting Windows now and I will try it again once I am through that procedure.

If I follow you the instructions again I’ll hit the same wall about no internet connection in SafeMode, won’t I?

What I’m waiting for Windows to reset, please put up the link for the 25 minute video if you have it.

Damn...now Windows won’t reset/reinstall.

Last edited:
You should still have internet connection evening safe mode. ok standby
I would think so, but I couldn't get out of that loop. In Normal mode I had internet, and in Safe I did not (and no way that I could see to connect to it, but I know nothing about Windows).

I'll have to try Bootcamp, but I run Windows in a Parallel Desktop 16 VM for the most part. I want to install RF9 and see if it works there.

RE-POST

Wanting to try the new RF9 with my new 2020 16” MacBook Pro, I discovered the dreaded “black screen” while attempting to play. The download was successful but after launching, the application would get to the Tx calibration screen and then turn to a black screen. My system was up to date with latest drivers and security features – at least I thought so according to the driver system status.

For those who experienced this problem it’s frustrating when you think you have the latest of everything; especially with limited tech support. After numerous attempts for a viable solution failed with tech support from Horizon Hobby, Geek Squad – and no response from Knife Edge – I found a solution through AMD Support and Bootcampdrivers.com.

Some may know the solution but I wanted to convey my experience for those who are left scratching their head. Please keep in mind, the recommended solution was directly provided by AMD Tech Support (I am not an IT guy). Also, I tried removing and installing the new drivers through the AMD website but this did not work so AMD recommended Bootcampdrivers.com but could not provide support or assistance because it's an “outside vendor.”

My System: Windows 10 updated to latest version & AMD Radeon Pro 5300M Graphics
This is what worked:
  1. Enter Windows OS after installing from Bootcamp – make sure you allotted enough room for RF9 during the Windows setup process.
  2. Ensure ALL Windows 10 updates are done
  3. Uninstall RF9 if already installed
  4. GO to https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/ and review the driver installation video. There is a shorter video, which I used (
    )
  5. Follow the steps exactly for AMD Driver removal and installation of AMD April 2020 Adrenalin Blue Enterprise Edition (best for MBP 16” and Radeon 500 series). Please note, there is a later version available BUT some have experienced the black screen with the latest version. The driver packaging version I am using is 19.50.29.20. I have NOT attempted to update the drivers.
  6. IMPORTANT: Once this is complete you MUST restart Windows in NORMAL mode NOT safe mode to finish the installation. The video shows you can extract and install the application from Safe Mode, however, this did not work. To complete the installation of AMD software, make sure you are in normal Windows mode and then run the setup.
  7. To get out of Safe Mode – Type msconfig in the open box. Click Boot and then restart in Normal Mode.
  8. In normal mode continue the setup process
  9. Install RF9 and update to latest version
  10. Hopefully this works for you!
By the way, do you have to turn off Defender to get RF9 running?

Okay, the partition was erased, re-installed, Windows rebooted. I have followed the short video to the letter this time and I got as far as the 4:43 mark. At that point I get a Windows pop-up telling me that the setup.exe ”file cannot be accessed by the system.”

Dead in the water once again. Any ideas? Let me know.

UPDATE: I got through this hitch by disabling SAFEMODE. Driver-wise, I hope I’m finished now.

But now I have to re-download RF9 and even though I have disabled Defender, I can’t get the download to start. Is the HH site down? Any ideas on what I can try?

UPDATE: I could not download RF9 when booted up into Windows, so I booted up in to MacOS and I'm currently downloading into Dropbox.

Last edited:
By the way, do you have to turn off Defender to get RF9 running?

Hello, I did not have to turn off defender while in safe mode or in normal mode. Did not have any issues regarding Defender.

Okay, the partition was erased, re-installed, Windows rebooted. I have followed the short video to the letter this time and I got as far as the 4:43 mark. At that point I get a Windows pop-up telling me that the setup.exe ”file cannot be accessed by the system.”

That is correct. Once the file is downloaded in safe mode, you MUST restart in normal mode and then execute the setup file.

UPDATE: I got through this hitch by disabling SAFEMODE. Driver-wise, I hope I’m finished now.

But now I have to re-download RF9 and even though I have disabled Defender, I can’t get the download to start. Is the HH site down? Any ideas on what I can try?

UPDATE: I could not download RF9 when booted up into Windows, so I booted up in to MacOS and I'm currently downloading into Dropbox.

Not sure if this will work. The main thing is download in safe mode and then restart windows in normal mode and then run the setup file.

Let me know how you make out.

I THINK I‘m all set up with Radeon drivers. It’s Realflight that I am now unable to download, although I was able to download it previously (and then erased the Windows partition so now I have to download it again and I can’t).

Okay, after many days and hours of struggle I am now up and running with RealFlight 9 on my 2019 16" Macbook Pro. Whew.

Outstanding! I was just about to send you a PM to see if you needed additional offline help. Glad it worked out. Was the RF9 download the issue? or did you have to do anything else with the drivers?

I was having a download problem, but that has to do with my internet service. I had RF9.exe file on the Mac side of the partition, so I had to purchase a SD card reader to transfer it to the Windows side (this after Dropbox and Google Drive both failed).

The new drivers work fine, and since I'm only using Windows for RF9 I don't know if the driver present any non-RF9 problems. Now that I've been flying with it a couple hours, I was wondering if it is possible to map the various switches on my DX8 to specific functions, or if I just have to figure out what switches control flaps, landing gear, etc?

If anyone else is reading this, I will point out that if you make a mistake when watching that video, you may have to erase your Windows partition, recreate it, and then reinstall Windows. It can be a long, laborious road if you make a mistake, but it should work in the end if you are starting from where I started.

Outstanding! I was just about to send you a PM to see if you needed additional offline help. Glad it worked out. Was the RF9 download the issue? or did you have to do anything else with the drivers?

Hello,

I haven't used RF9 in a few weeks. Today I plugged in my dongle, I booted into Windows on my macbook, but the light never came on on the dongle. When I run RF9 there is no connection between my transmitter and RF9. I must be forgetting a step. Any idea?

P.S. If I unplugged the dongle, RF9 won't start. If I plug it in, it will start, but the light never comes on and it won't connect to my transmitter.

I'll have to try Bootcamp, but I run Windows in a Parallel Desktop 16 VM for the most part. I want to install RF9 and see if it works there.

I run RealFlight 9 and now 9.5 in a Windows 10 VM in Parallels and have no issues,

Back