Running RF Basic in Win10 x64

nathan

Hi,

I have a Intel Skylake laptop and Win10 installed. I just recently bought RF Basic at local hobby store and was a bit sad at home when tried to install it, and it did not budge. I can't even run the installer (yes, I have tried running as administrator and compatibility settings, and I even tried the various executable files on the disc).

I know it says Win7 compatible, and have managed to run it finally using VMWare Player and old Win7 install disc, but it would be great to run it without the virtual machine overhead.

Anyone knows a way to run RF Basic on Win10 x64 directly?

--best rgds
Marcin

Hi csgill75, thank You for quick answer.

I must ask if this answer is based on your opinion / assumption, or You actually know someone that was successful running RF Basic on Win10 x64. In the latter case I will go risk my time and energy into more research.

I also dropped an e-mail to tech support as well. Thanks for the link!

--best rgds
Marcin

Last edited:
I have all versions of realflight from G4 onwards installed on my pc. Realflight basic is based on the standard version of RealFlight, most likely G4. Now the installer for the version of DirectX that comes with realflight basic might not install properly, I had that problem with realflight 7. I had to download and install the directx 9 June 2010 version for it to work.

Hi

One thing that is good, the support team confirms RF Basic actually runs on Win10. It seems the issue might be specific to my PC, but that would be surprising to see as I don't really get any other software issues on this computer, and I run multiple video games, office tools and other programs.

I will continue mailing with support and post here in case they give me a working solution. In the meantime, if anyone reading this has any ideas why the Setup program for RF Basic is not even starting under Windows 10, I would welcome any ideas.

--best rgds
Marcin

The "setup" program will not run automatically.

This is a feature of Windows 8 and 10 to prevent viruses and worms getting on your system via removable media.

You will need to run the setup program manually, then it will run and install RF Basic.

Hello,

Thanks for the comment opjose. Since the very first attempt I tried running the setup program manually. I consider myself a power user of the PC, and usually I can get the simple things out of the way :)

To update - I've been in touch with support for the last few days and have went thru several attempts to run RealFlight Basic on my PC, these were, in various combinations
  • disabling windows defender (and I have no other antivirus installed)
  • running setup or program as administrator
  • running setup or program with/without the compatibility mode enabled
  • creating a new administrator account and running setup from there
  • copying the installation from within my Win7 virtual machine into the host Win10 installation (GP support team suggested this)

Unfortunatelly nothing helps. I was not able to get setup to work, it just turns on the busy cursor for few seconds and nothing happens afterwards. The advice to copy the installation from VM to host gave me some hope, as the support engineed claims he tried that from host Win7 to Win10 VM and it worked. After copying it, when I the RF program would just show the splash screen and then standard windows dialog box with "program has stopped working" message comes out and the simulator does not start.

While I can still run the program in VM in Win7, it does not seem to perform very well, as the graphics lag sometimes and model does not feel responsive.

My "gut feeling" is that my PC might be a bit unusual or too modern (while it is a stock laptop - MSI GS60 6QE with Intel Skylake, nVidia 970M + Intel 530, 4k display, 2 additional monitors - by the way, disconnecting those did not help :) ) and that an assumption about the computer system in the RF program is the root cause of the issue, as I do not have other problems with running software, both games and proffesional applications, so would doubt that there is a problem within my PC. Of course all drivers and firmware are up to date.

I will try running the game on my wife's workstation, which is a more "standard PC", i7 4790 with nVidia GTX950. Hoping to finally get the right experience!

There was a problem before with some of the AMD motherboards not seeming to start the setup routine, when in fact the setup program was running, but it paused for approximately 30 minutes.

The issue was with one of the low level drivers on the AMD board.

You may be seeing something similar.

Try this.

First copy the contents of the DVD to a folder on the computer. This is just to check to make sure everything is readable... if it copies over, delete the folder...

Reboot the computer.

Log in using an administrator level account, temporarily set your screen resolution to 1920x1080.

Go to "Services" and start the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service".

Check to make sure all Windows Updates are installed, if not install them, reboot and come back to this... after re-enabling the service.

Find the Realflight setup program, select it and "Run as administrator".

If nothing seems to happen, bring up the Resource Monitor then look for a setup.exe process and see if it is still running or suspended.

If so wait 30 minutes.

If the setup process just seems to terminate by itself, something else is intercepting it and preventing it from running.

If the latter turn, off DEP disable any and all anti-virus software and try again.

Thanks for the extensive description. I sincerely appreciate the time spent by all replying here.

I don't have my DVD handy, but I did the "copy" excercise in the past so quite sure the DVD is OK. Background file transfer is enabled on my PC and is set to start automatically, so I guess it was so when I tried installing. All possible Windows updates are in, drivers updated, firmware updated.

I have read about this 30 minute issue in some other thread, so I tried once starting setup and left the PC on. Came after an hour, no cigar. Did not try disabling DEP yet, will try later this week.

Good thing is that the game started on my wife's PC, so I finally have my proof of RF Basic running on Win10 x64. And that worked without any special tricks or procedures. It simply installed and worked. And my wife's PC has two monitors, so it should not be because my additional monitors. Best part was that I was finally able to have some fun, as the application was responsive and simulation realistic. An effect I am not getting on the VM.

My best bets are Intel Skylake platform, i7 6xxx series processor, or the nVidia Optimus dual graphics card setup. Happy to hear any feedback from users of RealFlight on such hardware.

In the meantime, I was requested by support to send over DxDiag results for investigation. Did that and waiting for reply.

Last edited:
I've got a 6700k on a Asus Z170 deluxe motherboard. I'm running SLI with 2 evga 970's. I've installed RealFlight 7 and 6 on this computer without a problem. I did have to reinstall directx9 from Microsoft as I mentioned in another thread, but realflight instalation went smoothly as well as all the expansion packs.

Thanks for the information. It seems that it couldn't be my specific processor creating that issue. So it might be nVidia Optimus or - as I worry - some specific peculiarity of my laptop. But if that was my laptop, I believe some other games or software would also give me hard time, but that was never the case.

No response from support yet, after they received my DxDiag file.

Real silly question from Silver Surfer but long time RC flyer.

I have a copy of Real Flight v2.5, rather old! It used tyo run fine on Win 7 but have now upgraded to Win 10. I managed to get the version loaded after some hacking about as Administrator, evrything worked OK except the throttle was either full on or Off. But I had to use my |Futaba T9CP as I could not getthe USB Interlink controller to be recognised.

Question is has anybody loaded version 2.5 and got it to run or is it just not compatible?

Real silly question from Silver Surfer but long time RC flyer.

I have a copy of Real Flight v2.5, rather old! It used tyo run fine on Win 7 but have now upgraded to Win 10. I managed to get the version loaded after some hacking about as Administrator, evrything worked OK except the throttle was either full on or Off. But I had to use my |Futaba T9CP as I could not getthe USB Interlink controller to be recognised.

Question is has anybody loaded version 2.5 and got it to run or is it just not compatible?

Have you tried running your Interlink on a USB hub instead of directly into the PC ? It may make a difference.

Back