RV-7

technoid

I started working on an RV-7. I haven't done much yet, just shaped the fuselage. I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet, make it a large plane or make it the E-flite version at 1.1m. Any thoughts on what to do with it? I kinda figure if I make it the E-flite version the RF designers will release it in the next quarterly pack. Anyway here's where I'm at. I'm using the 3-view I got from Vans website to model it from so the wing tips aren't the same as the E-flite version. The E-flite version doesn't have the wingtips swept back, it's straight across at the tip. But that's an easy thing to change if I go with the E-file version. But I really don't want to model it and then have it released in the next quarterly pack on steam.

RV-7 01.jpg

I started working on an RV-7. I haven't done much yet, just shaped the fuselage. I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet, make it a large plane or make it the E-flite version at 1.1m. Any thoughts on what to do with it? I kinda figure if I make it the E-flite version the RF designers will release it in the next quarterly pack. Anyway here's where I'm at. I'm using the 3-view I got from Vans website to model it from so the wing tips aren't the same as the E-flite version. The E-flite version doesn't have the wingtips swept back, it's straight across at the tip. But that's an easy thing to change if I go with the E-file version. But I really don't want to model it and then have it released in the next quarterly pack on steam.

View attachment 137644
i agree with you on this technoid :)

I started working on shaping the cowl intakes around the spinner this morning, that's something I've never been able to do well. I guess I'll tweak on it for a while and see if I can get the shape close to being right. (but probably not that good) I never seem to be able to get the top of the cowl looking right when it shows the rounded area in the center on the top of the cowl.

Make it the EFlite1.1 version. Please let me know when you have completed so that I can download your version of it. This is one of my favorite low wing planes made by E-Flite and I have been searching to see if anyone has made a simulator version to practice with.
Thanks
Miguel
maarroyo16@yahoo.com

Make it the EFlite1.1 version. Please let me know when you have completed so that I can download your version of it. This is one of my favorite low wing planes made by E-Flite and I have been searching to see if anyone has made a simulator version to practice with.
Thanks
Miguel
I'm sorry Miguel but I'll probably be doing a larger custom version of the RV-7. I have a suspicion that the E-flite version of the RV-7 will be in their next Quarterly Update due out soon. Recently I did the E-flite Ultra Stick and then they released their version about a week later. So I don't want to do that this time. BUT.. If they don't release one someone could do an AV of my version of the RV-7 to create one. (maybe even me)

Last edited:
I cutout the canopy today but I wanted to say something about it. This is a kit plane so you see it made different ways. One thing I noticed is the bottom of the canopy is angled down at the front in the plans, but on some planes they made it straight across, but I followed the plans and have the angle at the front. But you see it both ways in pictures, but it seems most often it has the angle.

RV-7 06.jpg

NICE !!, BUT, why is there a difference at the rear of the canopy frame when it`s open vs. closed. You`ll notice when it`s closed, there`s one row of sections that form the rear of the frame going up, AND when it`s open, there are two rows going up. Also, you`ll notice what appears to be a section missing in the lower rt. corner of the canopy when open. :confused::confused:

I think that's just a matter of perspective. You're seeing it from slightly behind the opening... so you're seeing the inside of the far side of the canopy frame behind the near side. If the camera were a few inches farther forward, the far side of the canopy would be completely hidden.

NICE !!, BUT, why is there a difference at the rear of the canopy frame when it`s open vs. closed. You`ll notice when it`s closed, there`s one row of sections that form the rear of the frame going up, AND when it`s open, there are two rows going up. Also, you`ll notice what appears to be a section missing in the lower rt. corner of the canopy when open. :confused::confused:
These pictures should answer your question. I probably shouldn't have left the polygon outlines on. The canopy frame overlaps the back glass just a little, but not all the way down.

RV-7 10.jpgRV-7 11.jpg

With no depth perception, I thought the 2nd "ring" was the inside of the right side of the canopy, looking past the left side. And I thought that the top of the "notch" was the bottom corner of the right side. Technoid's photos cleared it up perfectly.

Back