Ryan NYP "The Spirit of St. Louis" build

Ok lets say the object in the pic is a fuselage and the green, red and blue material is the TGA file (1st pic).

Second pic shows that you've mapped the left and right halves, however you would normally do that.

Next select the object and put a "poly select" modifier on it (example03 pic)

Now select the polys where your stretching problem is (example04 pic)

Then add a "UVW Map" modifier and position and scale your TGA so that it lines up properly (example05 pic)

Attachments

• example01.jpg
    example01.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 6
  • example02.jpg
    example02.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 0
  • example03.jpg
    example03.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 2
  • example04.jpg
    example04.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 4
  • example05.jpg
    example05.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
In the final pic you see that only the polygons that had stretching problems were re-mapped (example06 pic) So from the top view your cowl will look every bit as good as it does from the side.

Attachments

• example06.jpg
    example06.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 5
Ok, after trying your method... The outcome was more trouble due to scaling. I had to scale the part so small that I lost all resolution of the pattern in the panel. The panels looked VERY different. I did not even export from max. Doug has come through..... again. Taught me a new technique that is much simpler... however again cannot save the day at this point. Basically its like realigning a 4096x4096 TGA with 256x256 resolution with a wireframe... not pretty. With the layers of bump mapping and rivets as well as dor panels and fabric stretching... I just will never get it perfectly lined up unless it was my full time job. So.... I have lost more time to this issue now than I care but thank you for the suggestions. While new stuff was learned... not much outcome unless it is at the start of mapping... not the end.

Finished the cylinders

edit: I forgot to mention that the stretching may still be fixed using DHK's method... but may suffer the same issue with texture quality loss. That is for tomorrow. That and a few more tweaks and she is finished.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1235531889.jpg
    ScreenShot1235531889.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Willsonman she looks amazing. Even if there is a little mapping issue. And frankly I never would have noticed it if it wasn't pointed out, the impact of the model as a whole just has my jaw dropping...

Looking forward to her with great anticipation :)

DH

Just posted to the swaps... I'll get some good pics up there shortly. Enjoy everyone... and thank you all again for the support. :)

Sosl

Excellent willsonman thanks for the beauty job on the SOSL the cowl and the detail work on the big old radial engine. :cool:

Outstanding job. The modeling is top notch and I really don't see the big deal on the cowl's texturing. The distortion there is minimal and doesn't detract from the model in the slightest. Very good work on the flight physics too. She flies just like the heavy, stall-prone pig the real one was.

Although I've really hand it to Lindbergh for having big brass set, I don't think I would want to fly something with such a restricted view to the front. I haven't spotted (or maybe I should say noticed) your Easter Egg. But if it's something that was on the real plane, it might not look so out of place.

BZ on this one!
Doug

dhk79 said:
I really don't see the big deal on the cowl's texturing. The distortion there is minimal and doesn't detract from the model in the slightest. Doug

Um that would be because he obviously took my advice and fixed the texturing on the cowl (see pic). Nice try Doug :rolleyes:

Good job on the SOSL willsonman!

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 31
I addressed it but I used Doug's technique. The Easter egg is in the CS. You would have to export and edit it to see it.

willsonman said:
I addressed it but I used Doug's technique. The Easter egg is in the CS. You would have to export and edit it to see it.
I never suggested that you didnt use Dougs technique, in fact you said that if you fixed it you would use Dougs :confused:

Doug however tried to suggest that it was a non-issue in an attempt to belittle my constructive critique thats what I was pointing out.

Joshua,

The job is really outstanding judging from the pictures in the thread.
I was not following Forums too close lately but I have noticed a beauty you made...

I will fly it tonight.

Andrzej

Incredibly well done model....One comment, intended as constructive, I was getting some pink bleed-through on the top of the fuse and the edges of the wings when viewed from above and behind. I exported the CS, and changed the background from pink to the same grey as the fuse, and the problem has disappeared. Otherwise, fantastic effort! Thank you!

Griff
twoeleven

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. The bleed through may be due to a lower resolution that you may be running in RF. Dunno though. I had left the background my standard pink since I did not notice any bleeding. I can post the template if anyone is interested in doing their own scheme but I really do not see the point.

Since nobody has posted the easter egg I will just come out with it. I know I appreciate the aircraft more by knowing. The men who built the thing all signed the inside of the spinner wishing Charles good luck. You can tell that this is a dated procedure because prior to WWII and the Nazi party the swastika was a peace symbol. This was included in the center as an additional good luck charm. I was luck to have stumbled across a nice photograph when I was collecting data for this project. I did map this portion of the spinner for that purpose but you would never see it unless you ttok the time to export the CS and edit it.

Hope you all continue to enjoy this.

Anyother G4.5 owners out there with G3.5 as well? I've had a few requests for this on G3.5. I no longer have G3.5 so I would need someone to create the physics model for it.

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Had a great family trip this past week. I had to selfishly grab the kids for a glamor shot.

Attachments

• IMG_5532.JPG
    IMG_5532.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Back