SAFE Beginner/Intermediate Swapping Whilst Flying 9.5S For No Obvious Reason

sadatoni

When I'm set for SAFE Intermediate on the Apprentice STS 1.5, RF 9.5S will randomly temporarily switch back to beginner and back to intermediate. There is no indication in the little box showing this happening. I've tested this on both my desktop and laptop with the same results. What's the fix for this? Is that how this plane really handles?

Sure makes learning to control it a real exercise in futility.

When I'm set for SAFE Intermediate on the Apprentice STS 1.5, RF 9.5S will randomly temporarily switch back to beginner and back to intermediate. There is no indication in the little box showing this happening. I've tested this on both my desktop and laptop with the same results. What's the fix for this? Is that how this plane really handles?

Sure makes learning to control it a real exercise in futility.
Sounds like an issue with your controller. what are you using to control the aircraft?

Are you referring to the way the aircraft suddenly pulls up when there is no input on the sticks and its descending rapidly? It may be a function of the real aircraft to prevent a crash. I have never flown the real aircraft but I could see that being a function on a trainer.

Are you referring to the way the aircraft suddenly pulls up when there is no input on the sticks and its descending rapidly? It may be a function of the real aircraft to prevent a crash. I have never flown the real aircraft but I could see that being a function on a trainer.
I wouldn't call it descending rapidly. Only slightly.

I tried the "normal" with Safe select and the one with GPS.. and it worked normal. However I noticed if you fly the one with gps on intermediate it will pull up the plane at a certain distance from the ground, if you´re doing a nosedive. Is it maybe that you refer too?
To be able to see if your flightmode changes, go to the top menu, choose gadgets and then choose flightmodes. There you´ll be able to see what your controller does =)

I'll have to check on which one I have selected after work today. That could be the "problem". I already have flight modes displayed.

Without flying the real aircraft, I can't say if its normal or not behavior. Perhaps Ryan or someone could eventually chime in and let us know if this is expected behavior. I would guess that it is since it is a trainer and it is keeping the aircraft above a preselected altitude. Watching the Video on how some of the SAFE funtions work, I would not be suprised that this aircraft is acting like the real aircraft. It does some pretty neat things, and almost doesn't need a pilot to function.

When in doubt about how the flight modes behave, hover your mouse over the question mark icon in the Flight Modes gadget for helpful info!

Flight modes gadget_SAFE.png
In this case, the Apprentice STS has SAFE+, which in Intermediate mode means that below an altitude of 50 ft SAFE+: Beginner mode kicks in. It won't be indicated on the Flight Modes gadget because the selected mode hasn't actually changed, it is just that Intermediate mode's functionality includes Beginner-type behavior under that specific condition.

Back