Sea Vixen FAW 2

Beta test version of the Sea Vixen.
Arrester Hook operates with flaps (channel 6 knob)

3 position switch, Up = no function
Center position = canopy and radio/navigator hatch open.
Down position = wings fold.

Missiles drop, left back slider (Interlink - X)
Air brake, Right back slider

All other controls are normal switch and stick positions.

Sea Vixen video

Attachments

• Sea Vixen_EA.RFX
    7.6 MB · Views: 20
okay. This is my favorite jet aircraft to fly. It's more responsive, it seems, than others that I've attempted to fly. Perhaps it's my imagination, but whatever. I like how it flies.

here are some things that are probably because it's a beta release:
  • it still flies just fine with the wings folded up! but that's not a complaint at all. it's actually pretty fun.
  • I have to make sure the left slider is all the way to the left, or the missiles just fall right off immediately. That also isn't a complaint, because I like not having them on there anyway. just saying what I noticed.
  • I think I've just learned something about what a collision mesh is. Let me guess: This doesn't have one yet? Maybe that's why I can taxi around and the only thing that RealFlight cares about is whether the wheels hit things. The most interesting thing is that I can land upside down and it's like the entire airplane, except for the wheels, is under the ground. What a mind-bending experience!

Does anyone know, by the way, why RealFlight can't just figure out how a plane should interact with objects without having to provide a collision mesh?

RF can use two ways detect collision mesh

the Old way Which object name ~CS_COLL childed to a object on the plane allow that object to collide with other things in rf. Only object with them could collide

the other way is which was in RF7's 27000 exporter if it did not detect any objects Starting with ~CS_COLL it would auto generate a ~CS_COLL for all objects. BUT these hit RF collision detection Really hard because they have alot of polys and stuff that could never actually collide Interior stuff would still be checked beacuse they are fully inclosed. RF-X Really hates this method. planes under 8000 triangles used to auto generate All the way back i think But never deveolped any planes for those versions so IDK for sure.

I downloaded an flew the Sea Vixen. Move the weights around I thought it was a tad nose heavy (personal preference). a few other little tweaks. the wings folding and not changing in flight handling is fine to me. I know that rf does not see the wings as connected if set up wing -. moveable pod -> wing and tip stalls the inner wing. I might know a way to remove it but it looks weird in the editor. If you want a jetcat engine to put into the pipes I can share what I use.

I am lovin it

okay. This is my favorite jet aircraft to fly. It's more responsive, it seems, than others that I've attempted to fly. Perhaps it's my imagination, but whatever. I like how it flies.

here are some things that are probably because it's a beta release:
  • it still flies just fine with the wings folded up! but that's not a complaint at all. it's actually pretty fun.
  • I have to make sure the left slider is all the way to the left, or the missiles just fall right off immediately. That also isn't a complaint, because I like not having them on there anyway. just saying what I noticed.
  • I think I've just learned something about what a collision mesh is. Let me guess: This doesn't have one yet? Maybe that's why I can taxi around and the only thing that RealFlight cares about is whether the wheels hit things. The most interesting thing is that I can land upside down and it's like the entire airplane, except for the wheels, is under the ground. What a mind-bending experience!
Yes it does look kind of funny with the wings folded in flight, one of my favorite aircraft is the Fairey Gannet made by DHK79 and that model also fly's okay with a double wing fold.

I will have to place a modifier on the wings to stop them folding at more than a certain groundspeed (airspeed), so you can ground taxi the model but as soon as you reach "X" mph the wings unfold.

The Vixen only has collision mesh on all wheels and the missiles (needed on detachable items or they won't drop) and needed on wheels or the wheels would just sink into the ground, yes it is fun taxiing around and watch the model pass through objects , like it is a ghost. !!! Collision mesh will be the very last addition to the model.

You could move the missile input to a different switch or slider, (I only have the RF-X Interlink) I guess it is time to upgrade to the latest Interlink so I can enjoy all the extra switches, but when I read that the new Interlink does not work with RF-X (my favorite Simulator) I have been hesitant to change, but change I must, at least the new Interlink won't get worn out while I am flying RF-X.

I downloaded an flew the Sea Vixen. Move the weights around I thought it was a tad nose heavy (personal preference). a few other little tweaks. the wings folding and not changing in flight handling is fine to me. I know that rf does not see the wings as connected if set up wing -. moveable pod -> wing and tip stalls the inner wing. I might know a way to remove it but it looks weird in the editor. If you want a jetcat engine to put into the pipes I can share what I use.

I am lovin it
The jetcat engine is on my to do list, if I run into problems modeling it I may take you up on your generous offer.

Lots of physics tweaking to do, maybe the extra jetcats weight in the tubes will offset the nose heavy issue.

Technoid are you ready for Windows 11 ?
I used the windows compatible tool (Windows health check) and at first try I got an error message, (needed Trusted Platform Module), luckily that was just a flick of a switch in the bios to enable, so now I have to sit back for a few days for the download to become available. The web site talks a lot about DX12 so will be interesting to see how RF works with the new Windows 11.

Technoid are you ready for Windows 11 ?
I used the windows compatible tool (Windows health check) and at first try I got an error message, (needed Trusted Platform Module), luckily that was just a flick of a switch in the bios to enable, so now I have to sit back for a few days for the download to become available. The web site talks a lot about DX12 so will be interesting to see how RF works with the new Windows 11.
I haven't tried the compatible tool yet but I need to take a look in the BIOS to see if I can turn a TPM on too, thanks for letting me know about that. I'll let you know when I try it.

@asj5547 the right wing bulb does not blink
I thought I was the only one that enjoyed night flying, yes, I had noticed the right wing navigation light was inoperative but forgot to correct the issue on the beta, the problem was I had not applied the 'Alpha " map (in 3DSMax) to that wing lens glass. (Fixed now)

Attachments

• Sea Vixen_EA.RFX
    7.6 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back