serial to usb converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coroman356

My RealFlight deluxe controller came with a 15 pin serial plug.
I've now updated my PC which has only USB connections.
Is there an adapter or any other way I can fix this?

Adapter

My G2 also came with a game port connector. Go to Radio Shack and get the adapter for about $15. Here's a link that will show you the part.........

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...dapter&kw=game+port+adapter&parentPage=search

When you get the adapter make sure you follow the following instructions precisely to install. Let me know how you make out.

Here are the instructions for a Radio shack adapter. **Rockfire instructions at bottom:

Once you have the Radio Shack USB Gameport Adapter, here are the instructions on properly setting up the adapter and RealFlight Classic to use your controller through this device:

1. To ensure the best possible conditions for installing the USB Gameport Adapter, temporarily disconnect ALL other game controllers from your PC (regardless of how they connect to your PC). Once ALL your other game controllers are disconnected from your PC, restart your PC using the Windows Start menu.

2. Once Windows has completely re-booted and you are idle at your Desktop, make sure you disable or otherwise turn off your virus scan(s) and system protection/monitoring utilities to ensure they will not cause any conflicts with the proper installation and configuration of the USB Gameport Adapter. Also, DO NOT start up RealFlight Classic or RealFlight Deluxe, as RealFlight should not be running while you are trying to install a new hardware device on your PC.

3. Move the mode selector switch on the USB Gameport Adapter to Mode 4: Wheel. Make SURE that the adapter is in Mode 4: Wheel BEFORE you first plug in the adapter to your PC. This will ensure that the correct device mode is properly recognized by Windows.

4. Once the selector switch is in Mode 4: Wheel, attach the RealFlight Futaba Controller to the adapter. Make sure the RealFlight Futaba Controller is plugged firmly into the adapter and not sitting loose on the adapter gameport.

5. With the RealFlight Futaba Controller attached to the USB Gameport Adapter and the adapter is set to Mode 4: Wheel, plug the adapter into an open USB port on your PC. Allow Windows a few seconds to recognize the device and load any necessary software support for the device.

6. Once Windows appears to have loaded any necessary support for the new device you have just plugged in (this should have gone fairly quickly), you can check to see if the adapter is being properly recognized by Windows from the Windows Control Panel.

To access the Windows Control Panel from Windows 98 FE, Windows 98 SE, Windows Millennium Edition or Windows 2000, select the Start menu, then Settings, then Control Panel. To access the Windows Control Panel from Windows XP, select the Windows Start menu, then Control Panel.

Once you are at the Windows Control Panel, select Gaming Options (if your PC has Game Controllers instead of Gaming Options available, select that, as that is the same thing). Under Gaming Options, look to see that you have a "USB Adapter" listed there and the status of that device is "OK". You will also see the RealFlight Futaba Controller listed there, but the status will be "Not Connected". This is correct because Windows does not "see" the RealFlight Futaba Controller as the "RealFlight Futaba Controller", Windows "sees" the USB Gameport Adapter instead which is what you are using. In short, if your Gaming Options shows the USB Adapter as status "OK" and the RealFlight Futaba Controller as status "Not Connected", then you should be in good shape.

7. Now you can start RealFlight Classic or RealFlight Deluxe. To properly set up RealFlight so it can "see" the RealFlight Futaba Controller through the USB Gameport Adapter, select the Simulator Settings button from within RealFlight itself, and then select the Controller tab. Form the Controller tab, click the drop down arrow for Controller Type and select "USB Joystick Manual" as this is how RealFlight will "see" the RealFlight Futaba Controller.

8. Once you have "USB Joystick Manual" properly selected for Controller Type in RealFlight, you will need to calibrate the RealFlight Futaba Controller before you can use it. Click the Calibrate button at the bottom of the Controller tab and go through the calibration procedure one time. After you have competed the calibration process, you should be able to use your RealFlight Futaba Controller as you would normally in RealFlight without any loss of function.

Since this device is sold by a third party we cannot provide any specific support or guarantees for this device, however we do strongly recommend it since so many users of RealFlight have tried and tested this USB Gameport Adapter worldwide under all the versions of Windows RealFlight Classic and RealFlight Deluxe was developed to run under and found it will work with the RealFlight Futaba Controller when properly installed and configured. We regret any inconvenience this situation may cause you. For any specific questions regarding this device, please refer to Radio Shack help and support.

RockFire:
To properly install the Rockfire for using the RealFlight Futaba Controller with RealFlight G2, please do the following:

1. First make sure the Rockfire is in Mode 3 before you do anything else (very important).

2. Plug the Rockfire into your PC through any open USB port when your system is turned off (make sure the RealFlight Futaba Controller is not yet connected to the Rockfire).

3. Turn your PC on.

4. Once your PC is completely booted up, connect the RealFlight Futaba Controller to the Rockfire.

5. Go to your Start menu select Settings, then Control Panel, then Gaming Options. From Gaming Options, make sure you have a 4 axis 4 button device listed in the Gaming Options dialog box and that its status says "OK". The RealFlight Futaba Controller should be listed there too, but it should say status "Not Connected".

6. If there are any other game controllers except those two, highlight them in the list and select Remove.

7. Once you have only the 4 axis 4 button controller listed as status "OK" and the RealFlight Futaba Controller listed as status 'Not Connected" in the Gaming Options, then close out of the Gaming Options and the Windows Control Panel.

8. Start RealFlight G2.

9. Once RealFlight G2 is completely booted up, go to the Options menu and select Controller Calibration.

10. From the Controller Calibration dialog box, make sure you have the 4 axis 4 button device selected for Controller Type, NOT RealFlight Joystick (Automatic).

11. Make sure you have Mode 2 U.S.A. selected for Stick Mapping.

12. Select the Calibration button on the Controller Calibration dialog box and calibrate the controller.

13. Once the calibration process is complete, you should be able to fly normally with full control over the aircraft.

Firstly, many thanks for your advice....I never expected to receive anything as comprehensive as this and I really appreciate the time you have taken to explain the installation process.
I have been able to loate a usb/game port converter and I'll certainly let you know how it works out.
Once again, thanks a lot.

that's a great showing for tech support!

That's a great and detailed solution. I wanted to use RF Classic on an older notebook that can handle only basic graphics, G2 and G3 are too much for this computer. So I needed a simple way of connecting the controller to system without a gameport. And the RadioShack adapter listed works. Had it up and running in 10 minutes. And the update to 1.20.216 is timely and allowed RFclasic to be installed on a 100GB disk with winXP.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back