server issue

Still down at the moment. The worse thing is that whatever is happening when I tried to host, it crashed the program. When I tried to join, it hung the RF program and required me to use the task manager to end the program. Strange. Good thing is that since it is a weekday, it should be corrected rather quickly.

It was working for us, but based on multiple reports of trouble we have restarted the server. Please let us know whether you see improvement.

It went down about 11:00 PM EST time last night . there were a a few of us doing streamer cuts and none of us were able to log back in. your right about it being weekend. Glad its back up. Thanks

Were you able to confirm that it is working for you now?

It was never actually down. It was working fine for us all the way up until we rebooted it. So whatever was happening affected some people and not others. That means the above reports were very helpful in identifying the existence of a problem. Thank you both!

To get technical for a minute, the multiplayer directory server merely lists available sessions. Once you join one, ordinarily everybody within the session is communicating with each other and not the directory server any longer. So if it experiences problems, that should not affect people already in a session. (It definitely would prevent you from rejoining, though, once you are out of the session.)

However, there is one reason it could still affect a session in progress, and that is if any of the participants are connected to each other via the proxy server. As a last resort, if two participants are unable to talk to each other for network reasons, the traffic between them might be routed through the directory server, since both were able to talk to it if they got that far. It acts as a middle man. If any of the players in your session were connected to each other that way, then when the problem began it might have broken that communication. It is conceivable that could destabilize the session for everyone else, especially in a game situation. So perhaps that is part of what you experienced, sundown57.

12oclockhigh, I don't know why RealFlight hung for you when you tried to host. I would expect you to just get an error after a time and for it to otherwise continue on normally.

I wish now i had written down exactly what it say. but last night when i was hosting message popped up along the bottom of the screen something to the effect ( real flight had lost connection and would try to reconnect ) but it did not affect the 4 of us that were in the room at the time so we just kept flying. A short while later another friend tried to join and messaged us he couldn't. So I disconnected the room, checked the password then tried to re host it. Thats when i got the message to the effect ( can not connect to server, make sure real flight is not being blocked by your firewall. it wouldn't even load a server list. I then tried to both join and host but All of us received the same message. Im pretty sure it wasn't the fire wall as we all had the same problem and it worked fine earlier. Just now i checked both host and join and they seem to be working fine. I will know better later on tonight when every one shows up. will update tomorrow if there are any glitches. thanks again for the fast response.

Thanks for the update. If you can see sessions again then the server reboot appears to have done the trick.

I agree, I don't think your firewall was the problem. There's a big difference between "I've never tried multiplayer before and it's not connecting", in which case a firewall is a likely factor (enough so that we suggest it in that error message), and "This was working mere seconds ago", in which case a firewall probably didn't allow a bunch of traffic through before suddenly deciding to jump out of hiding and interfere in the fourth quarter.

Even though we didn't see the problem ourselves, others clearly did, and it's safe to say it was on the server side.

Until we hear otherwise we'll treat it as resolved now.

Back