Setting resolution beyond 1600 x 1200

akz28

I've just recently bought a new 24" LCD monitor. This new monitors default resolution is 1920 x 1080 and I am using this resolution for Vista. I noticed in Realflight that the maximum I can set the resolution to is still 1600 x 1200, which was the maximum resolution for my old monitor.

Do I need to re-install Realflight now that I have a new monitor that supports greater resolutions.

I dont think 1600 x 1200 is the max for Realflight because I have read other posts where users said they were using 1920 x 1200 resolution.

Anyone know how I can get Realflight to give me choices beyond 1600 x 1200

Thank you................

Have you tried setting that resolution in Windows and then maximizing G4.5's window instead?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am using 1920 x 1080 resolution for windows.

I was trying to run Realflight in full screen mode at 1920 x 1080 but it wont let me go past 1600 x 1200.

Full screen seems to give me a much better framerate than windowed.

Is 1600 x 1200 the max that realflight will allow in full screen mode? That is as high as it will let me go.

Yeah I believe that is the max.

Most of the other reports are coming from people running G4 in Windowed mode.

opjose said:
Yeah I believe that is the max.

Most of the other reports are coming from people running G4 in Windowed mode.

I am running my resolution at 1920x1200 on a 24" Acer in RF both windowed and in full screen mode so I dont think the max is as was stated.

Instead of reinstalling RF, try resetting to defaults via the launcher. It accomplishes the same thing.

JimmyG said:
I am running my resolution at 1920x1200 on a 24" Acer in RF both windowed and in full screen mode so I dont think the max is as was stated.

Does the Video panel in G4.5 actually show the 19200x1200 resolution as an option?

Can't tell you how to fix it other than maybe your monitor is reporting incorrect resolution capabilities? :confused:

This is what I see on my 1920x1200 Flatscreen.

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 35
opjose said:
Does the Video panel in G4.5 actually show the 19200x1200 resolution as an option?

Yes. And 1920x1200 is the max resolution of my monitor. So it must have something to do with the (like Phrank said) what the monitor reports as its resolution to his system.

Strange indeed.

I am guessing that RealiFlight gets its monitor resolutions from the operating system, which does show modes up to 2048 x 1536....well beyond what Real Flight will allow me to choose which is 1600 x 1200.

I did try resetting Real Flight back to defaults.....no help.

I tried re-installing Real Flight - no help......a DVD would be nice here. As a side note.

The video settings within Real Flight still max out at 1600 x 1200.

JimmyG - in your device manager, are you showing a "Generic" monitor for your Acer or do you have an actual driver loaded for your particular monitor.

I am wondering if this is my problem. Mine shows up as a Generic Plug N Play monitor. I cant seem to find a driver for this new Acer monitor (H243H), but I am still looking. Although Windows is working fine with this generic driver installed, but maybe Real Flight has an issue with this.

Last edited:
JimmyG said:
Yes. And 1920x1200 is the max resolution of my monitor. So it must have something to do with the (like Phrank said) what the monitor reports as its resolution to his system.

Yeah, especially given your screen shot.

Some of the video drivers ( nvidia for one ) have a setting that says "view resolutions not supported by the monitor" which may need to be enabled.

Whenever you get a new monitor, it's a good idea to update/reinstall your video card drivers, uninstall any old monitor drivers, and install drivers for the new monitor (if applicable).

-Eric

akz28 said:
JimmyG - in your device manager, are you showing a "Generic" monitor for your Acer or do you have an actual driver loaded for your particular monitor.

I am wondering if this is my problem. Mine shows up as a Generic Plug N Play monitor. I cant seem to find a driver for this new Acer monitor (H243H), but I am still looking. Although Windows is working fine with this generic driver installed, but maybe Real Flight has an issue with this.

In the device manager mine shows as "plug and pray" but the nvidia cards that it is connected to detects it and detects its native resolution in the nvidia control panel. I have the onboard video disabled and use 2 9800gt Slis. So maybe RF gets its max resolution setting based on the video cards and connected monitors capabilities.

I do not recall installing any driver specific to the monitor.

Somewhere there is a setting for the Nvidia driver, to permit it to display "non-native" resolutions.

You may want to turn this on.

I don't know if this will help you but, something else you can do that will tend to help ensure you get the correct resolutions is to go to the manufacturer's website and download a "driver" for your monitor. It's little more then simple definition file for your monitor but it defines the correct resolutions for your display and could possibly clear up any confusion as to what resolutions it supports.

Good advice.

For anyone playing the home game: The "driver" is a bit of a misnomer, as it really is nothing more than a "specification" file to tell windows what frequencies the monitor supports.

But it installs much like any other driver in Windows so it is called that way.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help.

I've tried everything I can think of as well as all of your advice. Nothing seems to do the trick.

This is what I've tried:

1) Reinstalling the nVidia driver - there was actually an newer one that I used
2) Resetting Real flight back to defaults
3) Re-installed Real Flight from scratch and deleted all folders, including the hidden ones. I even combed the registry and deleted all knifeedge and real flight entries I could find.
4) Told the video driver to display all modes, even those not supported by the monitor. Although the resolution I am trying to use is recognized by the monitor as the default, but I figured why not try anwyay.

The only thing I cant do is install a driver for this specific monitor. There isnt one on the installation CD, on Acer's website, or anywhere on the web that I can find.

Someone mentioned somehwere on the web there is a driver for this monitor called H243H.inf - but I cant find anywhere to download it. I would really like to try that before giving up, so I will keep looking.

Other than that, I think it is just going to be one of the Windows mysteries that never gets fixed. Maybe when I install Windows 7 someday it will work.

I am not going to reinstall my whole O/S because I really dont think that would help.

If the driver, O/S and monitor all recognize the default 1920 x 1080 that the monitor is using, I would think that Real Flight should as well.
Real Flight on my machine wont go above 1600 x 1200 for some reason even though everything else is running at 1920 x 1080 / 32 bit

Last edited:
Don't know if this will be any help but I found this post by a guy with what appears to be the same monitor as yours. He was having all kinds of probs getting full resolution (but in Windoze, not in a game or sim), being limited to max 1680x1050:

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t92409.html

Here is a web page entry by the same guy, about the issue:

http://brianscotttaylor.com/index.php/2009/03/19/the-monitor-struggle-part-deux/

Looks like he eventually got it worked out. Hope this will be some help to you getting your issue fixed, good luck!

DH

akz28 said:
Thanks to everyone for trying to help. <snip>...

Another crazy thought, go into my documents and rename the realflight G4 folder to realflight g4.old and then start RF to create a new profile. If it works after that then it's a funky setting possibly somewhere in your realflight.ini (guessing) file.

Update:

I finally found the driver.

It wont load....LOL!

Vista says it is already using the best driver possible.

So I am pretty sure my "Generic Plug N Play" monitor is the problem.

I gotta figure out some way to get that driver loaded......more to come.......

Back