SIM VS. Actual Flight

At least quote me correctly..."It is not capable of sustained 3d as intended."

Two different things....sew as much as you want, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Had been a good discussion till you took it into the toilet. I don't even think the TREX 450 is a great 1st/2nd bird. A larger bird is easier to control and fly in the wind.

also pay attention to the mod:"Blade 400 - Equipment used during this flight: TP2200V2, Radix 325s, stock gyro, stock servos, JR 3400G tail servo, T-rex carbon tail blades, grips and mixers flipped, stock paddles, stiffer dampening, stock motor & pinion. It will fly as well on the stock blades without the extra pop the Radix blades provide. The stock tail servo also does a great job, but the 3400G provides a more constant piro rate. "

GreenBar0n said:
The Blade 400 is not up to 3D flying?

Try telling that BS to this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6FZpTxoxZc

Last edited:
wjkssmd said:
At least quote me correctly..."It is not capable of sustained 3d as intended."

Two different things....sew as much as you want, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Had been a good discussion till you took it into the toilet. I don't even think the TREX 450 is a great 1st/2nd bird. A larger bird is easier to control and fly in the wind.

also pay attention to the mod:"Blade 400 - Equipment used during this flight: TP2200V2, Radix 325s, stock gyro, stock servos, JR 3400G tail servo, T-rex carbon tail blades, grips and mixers flipped, stock paddles, stiffer dampening, stock motor & pinion. It will fly as well on the stock blades without the extra pop the Radix blades provide. The stock tail servo also does a great job, but the 3400G provides a more constant piro rate. "

I'm well aware of the mods Jamie Robertson is using in the video, but what I still can't understand is your point, in insisting previously, that the Blade 400 isn't up to the task of 3D.

Just so we understand you correctly, how is sustained 3D intended for the Blade 400, and where does it fall short of your expectations? You own and have flown a Blade 400 correct?

Yes I own and fly the Blade 400 3D.... I always have something fail... My opinion is that it is not up to the task. A dictionary may help for the rest. This is my last post on the subject. My opinion, I am entitled

GreenBar0n said:
I'm well aware of the mods Jamie Robertson is using in the video, but what I still can't understand is your point, in insisting previously, that the Blade 400 isn't up to the task of 3D.

Just so we understand you correctly, how is sustained 3D intended for the Blade 400, and where does it fall short of your expectations? You own and have flown a Blade 400 correct?

Last edited:
Darren M said:
I am a noobe and have only had limited time on the RealFlight Sim.
Really want to get into heli's and was hoping for a Blade CP Pro 2 for XMAS.
I down loaded the CP Pro from the swap pages and found it very difficult to manage. I am very discouraged and second guessing my abilities to fly.
Is there a possibility that actual flying will be more adaptable for me? It seems that the perspective of on screen operation doesn't appear "normal" to me.
Suggestions?

My husband got into flying Heli's this summer by buying a Blade cx2 and learned how to fly it. He had so much fun with it both inside and outside. My husband went into the hobby shop to buy a a bigger heli (single blade) and another customer was in the store looking at heli's too and he said he bought a Blade cp Pro and he can't fly it and he has been flying for 30 yrs so he was thinking of buying a Blade 400. My husband bought a Blade 400 and it is now sitting in the box waiting till my husband put many hours on Real flight before he evens tries to take it out of the box. My husband saids trying to fly a heli is like trying to balance your self on a beachball or a oak leaf in the wind.

ArtL said:
My husband got into flying Heli's this summer by buying a Blade cx2 and learned how to fly it. He had so much fun with it both inside and outside. My husband went into the hobby shop to buy a a bigger heli (single blade) and another customer was in the store looking at heli's too and he said he bought a Blade cp Pro and he can't fly it and he has been flying for 30 yrs so he was thinking of buying a Blade 400. My husband bought a Blade 400 and it is now sitting in the box waiting till my husband put many hours on Real flight before he evens tries to take it out of the box. My husband saids trying to fly a heli is like trying to balance your self on a beachball or a oak leaf in the wind.
When I first started in real life, it reminded me of trying to balance a broom handle on the end of your finger. It needs constant correction, and since there is some lag between the controls and the visible result, there is a natural tendancy to over-correct. After about 3 crashes I went out and bought G4.

Spareparts said:
When I first started in real life, it reminded me of trying to balance a broom handle on the end of your finger. It needs constant correction, and since there is some lag between the controls and the visible result, there is a natural tendancy to over-correct. After about 3 crashes I went out and bought G4.

Yup, I also use the analogy of...

"Trying to balance a marble on top of a small beach ball, while on the deck of a moving ship..."

But the broom handle does come to mind a lot...

opjose said:
Yup, I also use the analogy of...

"Trying to balance a marble on top of a small beach ball, while on the deck of a moving ship..."

But the broom handle does come to mind a lot...
Its funny because after a few months of flying (mostly on G4), I can hold a non-inverted heli in place forever, but I still can't balance a broom handle for very long :) .

wjkssmd said:
Next time you are at the hobby store count the blade 400 boxes.... wait a month and count again. Not a fast moving item.

Unfortunately this is very accurate.

Both LHS's I visit have their initial shipments of both having sold maybe one in the past year...

I've seen newbies come in to purchase them as well, and the LHS will talk them out of it due to the returns and problems....

Meanwhile the CX's are flying out the door both figuratively and literally...

Mikeymike21 said:
Oh come on, helicopters are so easy to fly it's like slicing butter with a hot knife. :p

While balancing on top of a beach ball on board a moving ship in a storm!! :D :D :D

Sim vs the real thing

I learned to fly airplane's 25 yrs ago and nothing I've learned about airplanes prepaired me for how a Heli responds. The sim has saved me alot of money. If I had to clean out the bottom of my of my sim of all of the crashes I have had. Thanks to the red button your good to go again so that's a no brainer. I think learning to fly a Heli is like riding a bycycle an trying to balance a broom in the palm of your hand while juggling two oranges in the other. I won't get into the argument of which Heli to buy for a newby. If you have run Helis on the sim you will find out quick that the larger Helis are easyier to control and fly than the little guys. But buy what you want or can afford cause it's up to you, but I would lean towards a larger one if possible.

Try flying a Heli on the sim in the wind, you can set it any speed you want and when you can do that then your ready for outside just my opinion.---Vernski :)

Best use of a sim

The sim is best used for:
  • MOST IMPORTANT: to learn how to recover safely
  • basic hovering
  • basic orientations
  • bad weather practice
  • having fun - its like ridin a bike

Practice NOT CRASHING...even on the sim. Learn to recover in small areas and fast so you feel comfortable and under control in real life. Helis are very dangerous and no one wants to be around a new heli pilot if he's not under some kind of safe control.

You'll find that a bigger monitor is better. Also, stand up when you're on the sim. It really does make a difference in the way you hold your radio in real life. You're trying to develop muscle memory and good habits when you first start.

Last edited:
I praticed on the sim for a couple of months. Went and bought a Raptor 30 v2, was in forword flight in 5 flights and doing loops and rolls in a couple of months. Knock on wood i have not crashed yet in the 4 or 5 months i have had it. Even had to do a forced auto 4 weeks into it from about 40 feet up. The g4 was my best investment ever.

I am very discouraged and second guessing my abilities to fly
That there is wisdom. and well done. it is less discouraging than repairing a heli in real life ;)

This sim is harder in generally one big area. and that is spatial awareness. This will take time to get used to and will surprise you when you get to the real world flight times. I would suggest you tryout, for a hour or more each, the different Zoom modes within the sim.

Bryce

Back