Simulator Controller Issues

Remsberg2000

My son and I purchased RF 9.5 and have gone through the install process but can't get the controller to connect and function properly. We have updated MS Office, restarted several times, tired all the USB ports and even uninstalled the program and reinstalled. I was able to begin calibrating the remote then the USB port stops recognizing it. Any other tips? I was hoping at $200 this would be plug and play. Maybe I got a bad remote? :(

If you have a USB Hub try connecting the controller to the USB hub and then the Hub to your computers USB port sometimes that will fix connection issues. What type of computer are you using? Sometimes the USB hub needs to be a powered hub but sometimes an unpowered hub will work fine too. It depends on if your computers USB port supplies enough current to the RF controller.

As technoid noted, it may need to have a powered USB hub. Also check Windows Control Panel - Devices and Printers. It should be seen there as a joystick/game controller, and allow you to test/calibrate it there (this is separate from the similar additional process in Real Flight). If in Windows it is still misbehaving, plug the controller into another PC, and see if it behaves in Windows (no need to install Real Flight). If it then works, it indicates it is a pc/usb problem. Unfortunately, if it still doesn't work, you can't be sure if it is the controller or the second pc. If you do get a powered usb hub, and it still doesn't work in Windows on either machine, then it is the controller that is bad.

If you have a USB Hub try connecting the controller to the USB hub and then the Hub to your computers USB port sometimes that will fix connection issues. What type of computer are you using? Sometimes the USB hub needs to be a powered hub but sometimes an unpowered hub will work fine too. It depends on if your computers USB port supplies enough current to the RF controller.
Thanks for the help. It's an ACER PC. It's cheap but powers my golf simulator too so figure it can handle this game.

Thanks for the help. It's an ACER PC. It's cheap but powers my golf simulator too so figure it can handle this game.
Each controller draws a different amount of power from the PC's USB port so you can't compare them. I'm not saying your PC doesn't supply the power required I'm just saying it's an Apples to Oranges comparison.

It might also be a total load problem, if many of the USB ports essentially use the same power bus. Unplug all but the bare minimum to get the machine to run (mouse, keyboard, RF controller) and see if it behaves better. If so, a powered USB hub is the answer.

I just received my RF 9.5 and I'm ready to request a refund. I installed everything as per the manual, plugged in the controller and it lights up, but that's all she wrote. After changing from a powered hub to a version 3 USB all I got were spasmodic stick movement. The correct sticks move in the correct directions according to the on screen controller but it's impossible to fly a kite using that method.

Basically the controller is a dud/ I've tried every PC USB socket and every socket of 3 different powered hubs (total 17 on hubs and 9 on the PC itself. All driver have been updated only 4 days ago (I was expecting driver problems so I doubt that's the problem) I'm disabled and confined to bed, there's not much else to do than fly flight sims. I had to pay for a brand new computer in readiness for FS2000, at least it works and so does every other Flight sim installed. I tried the controller on Real Flight 7 but no go there either. X-Plane works with almost any controller but nogo there either.

The only thing I can say is I was impressed with the speed of delivery. I had 5 friends coming around tonight to see if they want to buy their own copy, looks as though that's off. By the way, before anyone mentions it, I'm not rolling in cash, I'm a disabled Vietnam Vet and I save for everything I buy from my pension, plus I have a very understanding wife.

Maybe try plugging in your interlink DX controller before starting up RF9.5. I think you are supposed to do this prior to installing your software. Also, the DX controller will only work with rf8 and later.

You also need to go through the controller calibration before it will work. You should also go through your win10 device settings and do a calibration there beforehand.

Windows should just recognize it as a gamepad. I actually even use this controller with X Plane 11 and it works great.

Always a possibility that you got a dud controller. Maybe best to contact HH support for more help. Good luck mate and cheers.

Last edited:
Calibrate using Windows Joystick/Game controllers options FIRST. You're getting something out of it, but Windows has to learn the characteristics before being able to pass them on to RF. If it behaves in Windows, then go on to setup inside of RF.

Back