Simulator Controllers

Merlin0

I am brand new to this space and would like to use both Evolution and Zephyr Drone Simulator.

Evolution requires Spektrum™ InterLink® DX Simulator Controller.

Zephyr is most compatible with the FlySky FS-i6s controller, but they state most game controllers are supposed to work. Additionally...

Compatible Drone/sUAS Controllers:
  • Hobby King 6-CH RC Flight Simulator Controller
  • Interlink Elite by Futaba
  • Taranis FrSky X9D Plus and other controllers that use OpenTX. Controllers that use OpenTX may require rebinding the inputs inside of the Zephyr program.
I would like just one controller. Is it possible and if so, what would you recommend?

I'm still running RF8, not Evo. And even though I don't have Evo or a DX controller, I'd recommend the DX controller that can be purchased with RF for everything in the simulator. ALL the aircraft in the sim will work with that controller with no messing around. It "just works." I see dozens of "How the heck do I get (this aircraft) to work with (this transmitter)?" questions on the forum. And the USB dongles that link to real-life transmitters are only 8 channels. So in some cases, it's "You don't" unless you use keyboard commands instead of the transmitter for some functions. I have an InterLink Elite and an InterLink-X controller. And when I upgrade to Evo, I'll probably buy the DX with it. IMHO, it's too much of a PITA to try to use anything else. And it saves wear & tear on your expensive transmitter.

RF doesn't require the InterLink DX, but as Bill said, it's by far the easiest to set up with RF because it there's a controller profile already set up for it that will work with everything in the program. Plus, every switch and knob on it really works in RF; it's effectively a 17-channel radio.

Anything that can appear to Windows as a game controller can be used with RF. I've used the USB receivers ("dongles") with multiple radios, and the USB wired connection for both Spektrum NX and RadioMaster TX16S. On a lark, I even made an Xbox controller work (it's not ideal!) To make those controllers work well takes some time to set up the controller profile in RF.

A surprising drawback to the USB receivers and some USB radios is that a small number of channels is quite limiting in RF. The Spektrum USB receivers support eight channels, even if your transmitter supports more. It looks like that FS-i6s is only a six channel radio, and I'd say that six channels isn't enough to run RF well. Eight is a bare minimum in my opinion.

Since the InterLink DX also looks like a Windows game controller, it might just work with Zephyr. If OpenTX radios work with Zephyr, then it must be expecting Windows game controller input like RF.

Last edited:
I seem to recall several threads about "How do I...?" even for radios with built-in (OpenTX) functionality that lets them work as Windows game controllers without the 8-channel USB dongle problem. I still think that actual RF controllers are a better solution - at least for RF. They're natively supported and don't need any messing around to be fully functional for all of RF's aircraft. Since Zephyr seems to be recommending the InterLink Elite as a compatible controller, I think it's safe to assume that both the InterLink-X & -DX would work just as well. Zephyr might not need the extra channels, but RF Evo certainly does for at least some of its more complicated/advanced aircraft. Even some of the aircraft in RF8 require more than the Elite's 8 channels. Which is why I bought the -X controller when I upgraded to RF8.

Yes, some OpenTX/EdgeTX radios support connecting to PC via USB and presenting themselves as a Windows game controller, such as the RadioMaster TX16S I mentioned.

Thank you everyone. From what i understand, none of the recommended controllers from Zephyr will likely work with RF Evo but the DX controller will likely work with Zephyr. The controller on Zephyrs compatibility list that i did not mention (unknown reason) is the Orqa FPV.Ctrl which is an 8-channel controller with some programmability. But from what i understand from this thread is that may not be enough for RF Evo. I think my only real choice if i would like to use these 2 programs with only 1 controller is the DX controller?

Actually, all of the Zephyr recommended controllers should at least WORK with RF Evo. But IMHO, they aren't ideal. SOME of the aircraft in Evo need the extra functionality of the DX controller. But most of them don't. The advantage of the DX is that you don't need to mess with it to get it to work with Evo. The disadvantage is that it can only control aircraft in the sim. The OpenTX transmitters can be used to control actual RC aircraft. But you have to mess around to get them to work properly in RF. And they're almost certainly more expensive than the DX.

The OpenTX transmitters can be used to control actual RC aircraft. But you have to mess around to get them to work properly in RF. And they're almost certainly more expensive than the DX.

Surprisingly, maybe not, or maybe only a little more expensive. The RadioMaster TX16S offers a lot of functionality with a reasonably large color touch screen starting at US$199. That's the high end of RadioMaster's lineup. There are several smaller models with B&W LCD screens for a lot less.

The Flysky FS-i6S that the OP mentioned is about US$70. There are multiple versions of it, and I just found that some are 10-channel. That's a lot better than 6 channels. RF would be alright with 10 channels. It would just take a little bit of time to get it set up correctly in RF, but that's certainly doable.

Last edited:
I suppose it also depends on the definition of "everything." If it's just "both simulators" the DX is probably best/easiest for RF. But if it's "one device for both simulators & real-life" the DX obviously won't do it.

At this point it is just "one device both simulators" as i believe what we choose for real life will determine our real controller. And i want the best controller for the simulators. Can i also assume the DX will work with most all of the simulators?

If the simulator works with any Windows joystick, it should work. But FYI, RF versions before RF8 will not work with the DX because the simulator is looking for copy protection that's built into InterLink Elite and earlier RF controllers. The DX & X controllers don't include the copy protection, so early versions of RF won't work with it.

I am pleased to report that the Spektrum™ InterLink® DX Simulator Controller works with the Zephyr simulator. Though it recognizes the controller as the Interlink DS. They have a very simple mapping tool, but it only allows you to re-map the keyboard not the controller.

Their Interlink DS mapping:

ThrottleUp - [ Left Stick up, W ]
ThrottleDown - [ Left Stick Down, S ]
YawLeft - [ Left Stick Left, A]
YawRight - [ Left Stick Right, D]
PitchForward - [ Right Stick up, up Arrow ]
PitchBackward - [ Right Stick Down, Down Arrow ]
RollLeft - [ Right Stick Left, Left Arrow ]
RollRight- [ Right Stick Right, Right Arrow ]
CameraPitchUp - [ Dial, Home ]
CarneraPitchDown - [ Dial, End ]
CamerayawLeft - [ NOT SET ]
CameraYawRight - [ NOT SET ]
FIightModeSwitch - [ LeftBumper, F1, SWB Up ]
CameraSwitch - [ DPadUp, Space, SWD Up ]
Reset - [ R, SWA Up, LeftButton ]
DroneOverlayToggle - [ DPadLeft, Left Shift, SWD Down ]
CameraCaptureButton - [ DPadDown, P, SWF Up ]
CameraZoomln - [ Pageup, RightStickButton ]
CameraZoomOut - [ PageDown, LeftStickButton ]

I used joy.cpl to fully map the Interlink DX to the Windows Game controller and was going to share this with everyone until i found the attached file by Flightengr which is much more helpful and complete...

Attachments

• RF 9.5 Controller Setup - InterLink DX.pdf
    613.4 KB · Views: 6
I do have a question that i hope to find an answer to. The controller does have a switch on the back that will set the controller into quad mode so the left stick finds center like the right. When I yaw left or right, I gain slight elevation. Am I correct in assuming that i should be able to correct this inside the calibration method within zephyr? or should i calibrate this in windows? also, since a slight adjustment is needed would i adjust with the trim control?

I used joy.cpl to fully map the Interlink DX to the Windows Game controller and was going to share this with everyone until i found the attached file by Flightengr which is much more helpful and complete...
Glad you found that to be helpful!

Here's the master location for that file in my blog on RCG, in case it ever gets updated.

I do have a question that i hope to find an answer to. The controller does have a switch on the back that will set the controller into quad mode so the left stick finds center like the right. When I yaw left or right, I gain slight elevation. Am I correct in assuming that i should be able to correct this inside the calibration method within zephyr? or should i calibrate this in windows? also, since a slight adjustment is needed would i adjust with the trim control?
Are you gaining slight elevation even if you're not touching the stick?

If yes, then you could probably just use the trim control on the controller.

If no, then it's not something you can adjust out. Instead, it would be your thumb that's moving just a hair vertically when you're intending to move the stick horizontally. You might be able to improve that by increasing the stick tension, the idea being that it would take a bit more deliberate action for the stick to move.

Are you gaining slight elevation even if you're not touching the stick?

If yes, then you could probably just use the trim control on the controller.

If no, then it's not something you can adjust out. Instead, it would be your thumb that's moving just a hair vertically when you're intending to move the stick horizontally. You might be able to improve that by increasing the stick tension, the idea being that it would take a bit more deliberate action for the stick to move.
no elevation gain in neutral. but in quadcopter mode both sticks are spring loaded to center and i am careful about nudging the stick to the left only and it takes quite an effort to compensate for the elevation raise by pulling down on the stick.

It was loose so i adjusted the tension and that helped but the first response was up and not left. The calibration in Zephyr was off and i was unable to correct it. I loaded joy.cpl and ran the calibration there and that helped (a lot actually). It appears the primary calibration must be done in windows first and calibration within an application second for what fine tuning?

Thanks for your help...

RF doesn't require the InterLink DX, but as Bill said, it's by far the easiest to set up with RF because it there's a controller profile already set up for it that will work with everything in the program. Plus, every switch and knob on it really works in RF; it's effectively a 17-channel radio.

Anything that can appear to Windows as a game controller can be used with RF. I've used the USB receivers ("dongles") with multiple radios, and the USB wired connection for both Spektrum NX and RadioMaster TX16S. On a lark, I even made an Xbox controller work (it's not ideal!) To make those controllers work well takes some time to set up the controller profile in RF.

A surprising drawback to the USB receivers and some USB radios is that a small number of channels is quite limiting in RF. The Spektrum USB receivers support eight channels, even if your transmitter supports more. It looks like that FS-i6s is only a six channel radio, and I'd say that six channels isn't enough to run RF well. Eight is a bare minimum in my opinion.

Since the InterLink DX also looks like a Windows game controller, it might just work with Zephyr. If OpenTX radios work with Zephyr, then it must be expecting Windows game controller input like RF.
I've seen you mentioned raidomaster can I use the boxer raido as well?

Anything that can appear to Windows as a game controller can be used with RF.
Does Windows recognize the boxer radio as a game controller? Yes = yes. No = Maybe - if the boxer radio can be linked to a USB dongle similar to the WS2000 that IS recognized. In that case, it's the dongle that's recognized, not the Tx itself.

The Boxer uses EdgeTX - the heir apparent of OpenTX, so yes, it will work just like any other Edge/OpenTX radio for RF.
Better to use a USB cord, and not a dongle, as you can then set a LOT of channels for function/features. I've done up to 24 for RF, but haven't tried beyond, as even that was way more than needed. As noted, a dongle limits you to just 8. But I almost always use my Interlink, it is just less hassle to configure for this use.

Back