Snap roll break sharpness

RCFS

What parameter most affects the sharpness of the stall entering a snap roll? Snap roll boost factor, operating tail heavy, thinning the airfoil, increasing weight to increase wing loading, all seem to have little or no effect. Increasing throws obviously helps, but at the cost of a smooth linear control response.

Hi,
did you manage to fix snap roll problem with some settings? For me, the snap roll behaviour in RF9 is really disappointing, as well. Namely, I always switch bewteen low&high rates when I fly in real life, but on low rates in RF9 the plane just doesn't snap. In order the plane to perform snap roll properly, I have to increase throws to the extend, where the throws, response and actual feel for the plane can't be considered as "low rate" anymore when flying...and I agree with you, the setting under "snap roll boost factor" has no effect at all.

I would appreciate very much, if somebody has the solution to sort this "bug".

BR,
Aljaž

One really needs to specify the exact plane used in these kinds of questions. Stock, or something downloaded from the swap pages? The swap page aircraft are all over the place for proper aerodynamics. The version they were created in matters a lot, as well. The knowledge/skill level/attention to detail of the one who uploaded originally has a huge impact. Always treat swap planes to be like one you picked up "ready to fly" at a garage sale. You have no idea what was done to it or how it will behave as compared to the one you know. Just like those, the RF planes can be fixed to suit. But the fix can be very different, and sometimes extensive, for each one. So not a "bug" at all...
All I can really point to - when I take the time to get very detailed in duplicating everything about one of my models in RF, it invariably flies just like the real thing. To the point where I use RF to do "What if I changed..." scenarios before I start making changes on the real plane. But that duplication means lots of time measuring, weighing and making sure all the parameters match. 'Tis all too easy to just take an existing model, change the overall visual size, slap a new color scheme on it, and call it good. And then the physics get wonky.

Probably the biggest area of confusion is the fact that often we have to put aside how we might do something in the real world and resort to experimentation to achive the results in the sim we're looking for. That's why I asked the question... Getting the performance I'm looking for has far more to do with figuring out what the programmers were thinking than how we might do things in the real world

Please tell me what aircraft you are using and what control inputs you are using on the InterLink or other radio. There are several methods of snap roll utilized by various people. I will try the aircraft for myself. The aircraft that I have tried result in successful snap rolls. I am willing to listen, but I would like to be able to see for myself.

The initial plane I was working on was the Extra 300L in RF9 using conventional snap inputs, that is, simultaneous full elevator, aileron, and rudder, and then accelerating the snap by reducing the elevator by approx. half. I also practiced inducing an accelerated stall by pitching an instant before adding rudder and elevator. The initial problem, now fixed by increasing the taper of the wings, was the plane would not snap immediately, but gain considerable altitude before the snap developed. Snapping with higher rate aileron and rudder produced beautiful snaps, but, as in the real world, the aim was to achive great snaps with the same travels used for precision aerobatics

Well, obviously on up lines and atop loops nearly full throttle, and on downlines near or at idle. Knife snaps start slower and gradually add power with each snap due to induced drag

Normal rates. Let me just close on this subject repeating an old adage... If it takes a PHD to understand the all intricacies before it'll work, it probably won't work in the real world! My query was aimed at finding a simple sim neauce that could be passed on to others.

Last edited:
Back