Sound cuts on and off as I fly

fryfrog

When I load a plane, I hear no sound. As I throttle up and it goes by, I get sound. As I fly around, the sound cuts on and off over a period of a few seconds. It'll be on for a couple seconds, then off. It doesn't seem to correlate with distance or throttle position. It happens on all the airplanes I've tried, both gas and electric.

Any suggestions/ideas? I've fiddled around in settings, but couldn't find anything I thought was applicable.

Last edited:
Check your sound drivers... see if newer drivers are available on the suppliers website. You might also check for new video drivers as that could be part of the problem and updating will never hurt.

Sadly, it is just built in sound. They don't update those drivers very often. Video drivers are current. I don't see this odd sort of behavior in any other games either.

Maybe I should try multiplayer to see if it is all sound in the game or just each sound pulsing on and off.

I'd uninstall /Reinstall the drivers you have
Then check connections
try another jack/usb /? ...if you have one available
maybe restore RF defaults .....its something on your machine
no one else is reporting this problem as far as I'm aware of

Sound like you got surround sound enabled. Force headphone or stereo sound on your drivers.

Hahah, trivially simple fix.

My 5.1 speakers have a button that mixes the center channel from the L and R speakers. I never press it, because... why would you want that? Turns out my 15 month old son *had* pressed it.

I figured it out when I noticed that sound was disappearing when the plane was in the middle of the screen and would come back when it was more left or more right.

Sorry for the totally my fault issue.

FYI there are probably much more current audio drivers available from other sources.

Computer vendors are notorious for abandoning driver upgrades/support when they stop selling a particular model.

If you go to the vendor's web site you'll never see drivers available beyond the last production dates.

Yet you CAN find far more recent sound drivers.

You need to determine the audio "chipset" used. If you can find that out, which is not difficult, you can look for audio drivers for newer motherboards/computers that also utilize the same chipset.

Usually these drivers work without fail.

It is also possible to hack newer driver installers to work with hardware that has not seen a driver update in over half a decade... but this takes a bit more work.

When I load a plane, I hear no sound. As I throttle up and it goes by, I get sound. As I fly around, the sound cuts on and off over a period of a few seconds. It'll be on for a couple seconds, then off. It doesn't seem to correlate with distance or throttle position. It happens on all the airplanes I've tried, both gas and electric.

Any suggestions/ideas? I've fiddled around in settings, but couldn't find anything I thought was applicable.

I'm glad I searched the forums for this incident because it's kept me from duplicating a troubleshooting topic. The same thing has happened to me, yet IT ONLY Occurred after updating to the most recent patch, 6.50.016.

Due to real life issues, it had been over 6 months since I last flew around in RF G6.5, and just this past Monday, 5/6/2013, I fired up the simulator and was prompted for an updating.

When I launched the simulator, I noticed the same issues that fryfrog experienced, i.e., No sound when the aircraft is dead center of the screen Only in Fixed and Chase view, however sound does occur when it's left or right of center in Fixed view, and regardless of throttle position, there's no engine sound, only that of the servos, airfield, and environment sounds.

My sound card and video drivers are the latest, although my hardware isn't. The sound card is 2 years old, the GPU is almost 3 years old. Make: Sounblaster XFi Fatality Xtreme Audio PCiE, and NVidia GeForce GTX 260 (x2 - in SLI configuration).

I don't understand what was done in the most recent patch could undo the sound that was working flawlessly when I was running just fine in version 6.50.014 (the latest version I had prior to my update, before I had to deal with my real life issues apart from flying RF G6.5.

Based on feedback from those who've offered suggestions, I also double-checked my settings, and I don't have a teenager here messing with my sound configuration.

By the way, I primarily play with my RAZER Gaming headphones/Microphone. My Creative (Soundblaster) Control Panel settings are in the same configuration as they were when I had no issues with sound, yet, I've experimented with all settings, even restoring the soundcard to its defaults, and changing them back.

I've toggled from 44kHz, to 48kHz, and both 16 and 24-bit audio, still, the sound issue exists.

I've toggled more soundblaster settings.. Enable EAX Effects on and off, X-Fi Crystallizer on/off, and X-Fi CMSS 3D on and off, and from Surround to Stereo (mixing both left and right on the center speaker) or in my case, headphones.

I do have 5.1 sound speakers, but due to maintaining household noise levels low, I only use headphones while gaming and because it's easier to use Teamspeak 3 voice comms during other game sessions.

From within the simulation, I experimented with the menu: Simulation \ Settings \ Audio (both Application and Simulation) to no avail.

Finally, one thing I'm using that fryfrog didn't mention in his situation is the use of TrackIR 5 (for View \ Head Tracking \ TrackIR). With it disabled, and enabled, the sound issue still exists, however, while it's Enabled, while flying at a computer 3D-drawn airfield, like Palace, Castle, etc. not the photorealistic airports, while in almost every view that allows me to look at the aircraft from side to side, or in cockpit view, the sound is perfect, as it should be. While in Fixed view, if I lean my head to the left or the right, or if I look left or right, then the ear that's closest to the aircraft hears sound. In cockpit, it's full stereo sound.

Financially, I'm not currently in a position to where I can upgrade my hardware or my Windows 7 64-bit PC, and I shouldn't have to because before this most recent patch, the sound was perfect, and worked as designed.

Sorry to be long-winded, but it's thorough in hopes of getting feedback from you all should you have suggestions for me to try.

My system is a Dell XPS 710 (built May 2007), running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, 4GB of memory.
Soundblaster X-Fi Audio Xtreme PCiE audio.
NVidia GeForce GTX 260 with the latest WHQL drivers. (2 cards with 896MB each, in SLI-configuration.
Latest DirectX was updated following my drivers update for the sound and graphics.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I may record my situation using FRAPS or PlayClaw4 sometime. In the meantime, I hope this will do to seek for advice.

Thanks,
Sniper121

RF Profile name EJP_Sniper121

Sniper121, I would guess your problem is similar to fryfrog's, except that fixing yours may not be fixed with the push of a button.

If you're hearing no simulation sounds coming from directly in front of you, but are hearing sounds coming from the right or left of you, then your computer is probably still trying to output to a nonexistent center channel.

Unfortunately, simply plugging in a 2-channel speaker setup (e.g. headphones) usually won't automatically reconfigure your sound driver to use a 2-channel output. You must do this manually. Otherwise, you'll get the FR and FL audio channels, but the C, S, RR, and RL (assuming a 5.1 setup) will just go into silent oblivion. I know you said you tried changing to stereo mode already, but it's the only thing I can think of that would be the source of the problem.

Also, try closing RealFlight before making the configuration change, then launching it again afterwards. I'm pretty sure RealFlight only initializes the speaker output mode when it's launched. If you made the driver configuration change without restarting RealFlight, the problem would probably persist.

You should also consider contacting RealFlight's tech support team. They do this professionally and have likely helped people out of your very situation.

Thanks to you both, and from a friend I shared my situation with who doesn't yet own RealFlight, callsign, Kodiak.

To fryfrog,
Thanks, but my first option was to post here as well, seeing that my situation fit yours when the sound cut out from center, but not when the aircraft was to the left and right.

To Adam Taylor
Good call with your information to help me resolve the issue through the forums, yet, although I've been offline since my initial post, I did get it fixed before checking back here in the forums after speaking with Kodiak on TeamSpeak 3.

My friend, Kodiak, after explaining the situation gave me the one place I hadn't checked because I was under the impression all the while that my Creative Audio Control Panel was the Über controlling element for my speakers ... it wasn't. I needed to access the Windows Control Panel first, then click Hardware and Sound, followed by Manage Audio Devices, and then Speakers - then the Configure button.

Before being aware of this by Kodiak, I had totally relied on my Creative Audio Control Panel only. And I recall that after updating my Creative SoundBlaster drivers, they had by default set my speaker configuration in Windows Control Panel, as show here: (To access this window yourself, click Start Menu \ Control Panel \ Hardware and Sound \ Manage Audio Devices \ click on Speakers to highlight them, and on the same page, click the Configure button to view this.

5-12-201310-53-45PM.gif

5.1 Speaker Configuration

5-12-201310-54-59PM.gif

Stereo Speaker Configuration

Note that every time I started up my PC, I was launching the Creative Audio Control Panel only, setting the speakers to Headphones,

5-12-201310-56-21PM.gif

and never managed my speaker configuration through Windows Control Panel ... Speaker Configuration to set them as Stereo, and not 5.1. That lack of knowledge led me to look for answers and post my issue along with fryfrog's post.

If anyone else, in mine or fryfrog's situation is searching for answers, this should help you all out as well, to let you know to not only manage your speakers through your soundcard's audio control panel, but also through Windows Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Manage Audio Devices, Speakers ... set it, test it, and you're on your way as I am now.

The issue after all was with me, not with RealFlight's latest patch.

Salutes!

Sniper121

Back