Space Walker Build

I appreciate the research Ubird but if you would direct it to RC only as this is an RC build of the Spacewalker. Wouldn't want RL gear.

Question for anyone who may know. Are fiberglass wingtips the norm for the spacewalker? I assumed it would be fillets at the tip.

Boof69 said:
I appreciate the research Ubird but if you would direct it to RC only as this is an RC build of the Spacewalker. Wouldn't want RL gear.
The all silver with treaded tires IS RC landing gear for 1/2 scale SW. If you wish I can photo the Robart gear I use on my SW's. The Robart site will provide you with Great drawings that you can use to scale the LG to what ever scale. Look up CUB Gear.
The FS SW'ers use fiberglass wing tips, avalible to those that want them, however there have been a few SW'ers that the builders decided to do something similar to the wing tips on a Super Sporster.
The Fiberglass tips are attatched with screws and then the seam is covered with rib stitch tapes and blended in with primer and paint on FS.
As for Fillets, FS SW's had none and the only one I know of that has was a custom mod by the builder of the Round Engine SW flying down under.
All RC SW's have fiberglass or plastic wing tips. All come with factory provided wire landing gear, well the scale looking ones, the 1/2 scale uses the gear in the photo.

I am recreating the Jim Dietrich SW. So I want to use what he did for gear and copy the cockpit detail.

Boof69 said:
I am recreating the Jim Dietrich SW. So I want to use what he did for gear and copy the cockpit detail.
The plane you are copying is a AMR kit, 1/2 scale and the Silver and grey gear in the photo, is the one used for the kit.

Last edited:
AMR was at Joe Nall when this plane flue, and they specialize in big kits, so I would think they would have taken lots of picks. I think these two MGs are close enough, so use it. We will get you close ups of the tail wheel.

Attachments

• ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 19
A couple renders while I wait for some pics.

Attachments

• SW011.jpg
    SW011.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 46
  • SW012.jpg
    SW012.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 41
  • SW013.jpg
    SW013.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 41
flexible said:
Several things I notice.
1-the panel on the MG is between the gear struts. the fabric wraps all the way around the gear, and stops short on top,
2-I think the windshield might be a little too tall, and to steep
3-the air cooling holes on front look a tad small
4-there are a total of 5 stringers running from the top back of the cockpit, to the efonage, this would be a prob when you get to the paint. There are 3 flat sections on each side, with concave scallops at the front, to clean up the covering, behind the cockpit.
Seems like the cowl openings on the plane Flex wants are more in line with the cowl openings on a SW II, see drawing, the stringers and area behind the cockpit, see pics and the windscreen,, I to like them a little more raked back with a little less tall.
The ailerons seem to be about 30% or better and that seems a tad to much, however I think it all is looking great!!
I think this will be the BEST Spacewalker ever offered on any version of RF and the swaps.

Last edited:
I got back to it late this morning and sorted out a few things. So the turtle deck now consists of 6 bays 3 on either side and separated by 5 stringers.

Your description of the gear clarified things quite a bit as far as the fabric wrapping. I thought it was a flat balsa piece connecting the 2 vertical members. So with that I remedied those. I am redoing the shocks as well.

As for the wind shield I will need some pics to tell more about it's dimensions. The 4th pic is in profile so you can see what I was seeing in the pics. If you examine the pics you should see that the wind shield wraps about 1/4 back from the front edge of the CP. It starts forward of the CP by enough to allow for a compass. I used the the wind shield starting position and height from the 3 view. As you can see if I change the height or angle of the wind shield there would be no room for the compass.

Finally I enlarged the left cowl vent only to show the change. Does this this seem more like it?

Attachments

• Turtle deck.jpg
    Turtle deck.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Turtle deck2.jpg
    Turtle deck2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 24
  • MainGear.jpg
    MainGear.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Profile.jpg
    Profile.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Vents.jpg
    Vents.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Turtle deck looks great
The fabrick on the MG needs to be closed at both ends, had wood blocking
left air intake is good
If you find that, after the compass is installed there is any room to drop the top, try.
Have you had any luck hereing from jim?

Good I'm glad we're headed in the right direction. Yes I did talk with Jim and he asked for me to send my questions by email. I did and hopefully he will get back with me soon.

Getting anxious to keep moving on this one. I have absolutely as much as I can get done without closer pics of the original model. I may start mapping just so this project doesn't stall out.

Attachments

• Main gear done.jpg
    Main gear done.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Steering.jpg
    Steering.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 13
  • CP.jpg
    CP.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 15
So I have everything mapped that I have so far. I have allot of space left on the map for more geometry. I think I'll go through and set pivots, parenting, and naming then export and start on the physics. If I get that done before I get more detailed pics I'll get a start on the CS. Everything is cart before the horse on this one but none of it should be a problem.

Attachments

• Mapped01.jpg
    Mapped01.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Mapped02.jpg
    Mapped02.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Mapped03.jpg
    Mapped03.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 28
The SpaceWalker is in RF. Despite it being over 8000 polys by 1000 or more the exporter allowed an export without a coll mesh.It's flying with a general physics setup. Next thing to do is to get a start on the CS. :)

Attachments

• ScreenShot1316582755.jpg
    ScreenShot1316582755.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 25
  • ScreenShot1316582718.jpg
    ScreenShot1316582718.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Boof69 said:
The SpaceWalker is in RF. Despite it being over 8000 polys by 1000 or more the exporter allowed an export without a coll mesh.It's flying with a general physics setup. Next thing to do is to get a start on the CS. :)
I have found that as long as the model is below the 20000 limit it will export without collision meshes on the second attempt.

Back