Spark Evo I Build

You got me there, probably. I just remembered it the other way. It was me that said 10 = perfect.

Anyway, I think it looks like the real motor has 2 coils. You said yours do, too. Seems like you could relax the spirals to get more flat space between them and show a definite spiral effect. Yours looks like it was created using constricted edge rings. If that's the look you would be satisfied with, you'd probably save polies by redoing it that way.

No I said the real life motor has two. I only did one spiral to save polys. It was created by doing a Boolean with a cylinder and a spring. It took a bit of clean up as well. Why don't you show me what you mean?

Don't make your spiral so tight. Make it looser, stretch it out alot. Put another spiral intertwined. It'd be less coils per spiral compared to the coils you have now. Probably not much change in poly count.

Again just my opinion .........If the goal is to save polys maybe you should just bump map the spirals ........might even look more convincing at the same time

I'm talking about something like this. 2 spirals, each with half the coils of a tighter spring. If you continue on and taper out the ends so they hit the end of the main cylinder, the ends would be staggared, just like the real thing. Of course a good map would allow for bumped indents, like the Maj. said.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
It's actually 4 spirals. If you look at a picture of the motor you can see the end of a spiral every 90 degrees. the space between the spirals is not very big either. It's not that I don't know how to do it.

Ok this one comes in at 1824 for a difference of a whopping 136 polys. I thought originally it would eat up allot of polys. Oh well live and learn. Does this look any better?

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Here's a Flex style render of what looks like the Spark's circulatory system. These are all the baked color objects.

Attachments

• Viens.jpg
    Viens.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 46
Boof69 said:
Ok this one comes in at 1824 for a difference of a whopping 136 polys. I thought originally it would eat up allot of polys. Oh well live and learn. Does this look any better?
Much better. I didn't think it'd cost you a bunch of polies.

If you start doing what the old DOG does, you might start haveing trouble standing up, and farting when you walk, hehe.

Ummm, is the motor even going to be visible? Are you going to have the cowl fall off? From the pics, it seems all this fuss was really over nothing since it isn't visible. Good job though. second version looks MUCH better :D

Yes Upper Canopy will fall off in a crash. There is also a large hatch on the chin of the fuse which will also fall off.

Attachments

• Reveal_001.jpg
    Reveal_001.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Reveal_002.jpg
    Reveal_002.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 39
Maj. Numbskully said:
sorry
I thought you said somewhere that you valued input , opinions and constructive criticism
my stating that in no way was a put down or a slam of your talents boof...
it was just that , my opinion .....maybe next time I should shut up and save it for the ratings

Really I didn't want to start something
just doing what I thought you asked us to do
I do value input, opinions, and constructive criticism. I was explaining my thoughts about modeling the motor. I had no problem with anything you said. I didn't think you were slamming me. I listened to the input and decided to change what I had. What did I say that made you think I had a problem with what you said?

Ya I did not notice the difference between the two pictures of the motors. I just looked up what a Hackers motor looked like because at first I thought Boof was modeling those fancy spring loaded push rods quick disconnect :eek:

Last edited:
Back