Spitfire F Mk 22/24 build help

Jed_Sanders

Hi all.

After upgrading to RF6 I wanted to have a go at making a model.
I decided to built a Spitfire

I have read various tutorials, after my first attempt ended in an extruded mess, and have the rough model 'built' but I would appreciate an experienced modeller to see if they can spot any flaws or potential issues. I used wings 3D.

This is the rough model without control surfaces:
spitfire1.jpg

spitfire2.jpg

spitfire3.jpg

spitfire4c.jpg

I'm happy enough that it looks like a Spitfire but I know its a long way off a RF model.
Wings tells me it has 307 Polygons, 641 edges and 366 vertices.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Looks good so far.

RF polies are 3-sided. The limit is 20,000 polies (triangles). For an accurate poly count, in Face mode Tessalate|Triangulate all of your faces. In object mode, Combine everything. That will be a closer poly count, about double what you have stated.

jeffpn,

Thanks for the info, I now have this:

spitfire5.jpg

weighing in at 620 plys, 954 edges and 336 vertices

I shall move onto the control surfaces and the canopy now, I'll also have to read up on opening up the rads and intake as well as hollowing out the cockpit.

I should have started with a foamy!

Google "Wings Junkers". There's a great method for doing a cabin there. I've used it several times.

You will have set backs along the way. Before that happens, start saveing you're work in several places, makeing the primary place the last place to save each time you save, as Wings does an auto save every 10 mins to the last place you have saved.

I find that autosave irritating when I'm cranking along, and then I have to stop for a few seconds, long enough for it to finish the save. Sometimes I've lost my momentum. I turned off autosave. I do incremental saves whenever I make a big change to the file. knock on wood, I haven't been burned yet!

Experienced modelers can have many tricks up there sleeve. My suggestion was design to to save his bacon when doing something new, where he makes a bad mistake along the way that can not be undone because he has made to many moves. In this instance, you just kick the bad one to the curb, and pick up the known good file.

What I do is when I have hit a major progress point (say adding side force generators, getting 45 degree angles cut for the control surfaces, or just finishing for the night), I create a new sub folder under the directory where I normally save. I then label with the date and sometimes an indication of where I am. For example, I might have "CY 20120304 (side force)" after I finished making side force generators for the Crack Yak. Then I copy the working files from the main directory into the sub-folder. This way, if I mess up, I can get back to something that is reasonable.

In this instance, you just kick the bad one to the curb, and pick up the known good file.
Yup. My instance too. I sometimes save my progress when I know I'm going to try something that may not work. That way I know exactly how far back I'll have to go to start over. That prevents an autosave from saving something you'd rather it didn't.

There you have it: two ways to skin a cat.

A third way to skin thev same cat. If I am doing something riskey, I will make duplicate of the part I am fixing to try something on, leaving it bin the same file, then do a save as before I get out on the then ice.

Yup. Want a fourth way that works in some situations? If I screw up only a part of an object, I'll delete those faces and save. I'll go back to a prior file and extract|0 those faces which aren't messed up, merge them into my current file, and weld them in. Obviously that won't always be there to save you, but it has saved me on limited occasions.

That would not help me, as I do not know how to WELD in Wings, I do however know how to arch weld, is it the same thing, only in Virtual?

Looking good. I remember awhile ago doing this one but lost the progress on it due to a corrupted wings file. Save save save. I'd love to see a new Spit of this make on the swaps. It is very much needed. Many of the old add-on planes need some serious help to make use of the newer capabilities for RF. With this subject I am sure you will get plenty of help to make it spectacular. I am happy to chip in with whatever.

As for the subject of saving I normally only hit ctrl+s for an instant save to the current directory. I sometimes will ping pong saves between 2 separate files e.g. current project.max and current project_alt.max. This method has never failed me yet and as a matter of fact it has saved my butt a few times.

I put a few more hours into the spitfire tonight.

The intake is in place and the radiators just needs to be reduced in size.

spitfire6.jpg

spitfire7.jpg

Lots more to learn!

Just an FYI. You don't need to upload images to an alternate site. Just attach your images to your post. Look for the Manage Attachments button below the Submit reply button.

A few more hours.
Yes these minor changes take me hours!

Attachments

• Spitfire 8.jpg
    Spitfire 8.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Spitfire 9.jpg
    Spitfire 9.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Spitfire 10.jpg
    Spitfire 10.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 14