Starting to wish I never bought G5!

Tumbler

I bought this for the combat feature as I already have a couple sims. I did the port forwarding and it worked for a half hour and then just stopped and couldnt get back online again. I was on with comcast for an hour and then a computer consultant for 3 hours! Finally the only way I got it to work was by doing a system restore. Then the multiplayer function worked for a couple hours and has not stopped working. I still have internet but I keep getting the error message about port forwarding even though I have done it.

This thing is such a hassle so far. I am not happy with it at all.

Brian

MP works quite well for me and many others. Post screenshots of an ipconfig dump, and your router's port forwarding page here.

Given your results, the problem does NOT lie with G5 nor your configuration, but rather some software or setting on your computer that you may have overlooked.

Normally once you have things working ( assuming you are using a STATIC IP address on your computer, you are aren't you? ) then they will continue to work without problems.

If something is changing it is not with G5.

I use Comcast w/o problems so it is unlikely to be a Comcast problem.

If your router is more than two years old something else may be at work.

I've noted that some particularly 2+ year old routers, seem to get into a condition where the stop working reliably for port forwarding and other functions after a few hours time.

Resetting the router to the defaults results in exactly the same problem appearing, as does reflashing the firmware.

The only cure I've found has been to replace the router.

Thus far I've run into five to six devices that do this which is a pretty high number all things considered, though I deal with many dozens of these things.

Don't be so quick to point the finger at G5. If what you see was caused by the program, most of us would experience the same thing.

opjose said:
If your router is more than two years old something else may be at work.

I've noted that some particularly 2+ year old routers, seem to get into a condition where the stop working reliably for port forwarding and other functions after a few hours time.
I have a several year old Linksys WRT54G and have noticed that intense network activity can sometimes make it go flakey or even stop responding. So far, the minimal MP I have done with G4.5 has not caused this, but you might want to reboot your router and see if it gets better. Unplug the power, wait several seconds, and power it up again. Note that if you are NOT using a static IP, this will most likely cause your PCs IP to change so make sure you either are using a static IP or re-configure the router to show your new IP.

FWIW, I do not use a static IP and have no problems, but this is because the router doesn't change the IPs it hands out unless it reboots. I have also observed that if I set the router up for port forwarding and MP works, if I then disable the port forwarding it STILL works. Not sure why that is. I do have uPNP enabled.

Paul

jeffpn said:
It's because you have UPnP enabled. It does the required port forwarding for you.

As Jeff said.

UPnP does all the heavy lifting for you when you attempt the connection.

That's the whole point of it.

---

Re: Flakey

Yup, that is one of the symptoms.

You'll find that if you set the router to factory default state via a hard reset, then re-enter the settings, everything will improve for a good while.

However sooner or later the problem will come back.

Once it begins, I find that these routers can only go a few weeks without re-manifesting the problem.

The only solution I've found is to replace the router.

Very strange.

I just want to mention one thing with regards to the "flakey router" issue. I was ready to throw out my wireless router earlier in the year because it was definately showing some flakey issue. The router is discontinued, but I found the last version of firmware Cisco made for it. After I uploaded the firmware and rebooted all was good. It worked better than it ever.

I guess another thing to mention is in regards to setups like mine. If you have both a cable modem and a router and for some reason your connectivity is spotty, try this:

1. Unplug both the cable modem and the router and leave them unplugged for 30 seconds.
2. Leave the router unplugged and plug the cable modem back in. Wait for it to fully reset and become idle.
3. Plug the router back in and wait for all LED's to normalize.

Try the network again. Every now and then I take these steps if my connection seems slow. The reason to take these steps is to avoid network collisions when the units boot up and connect. If there was a power surge or your cat or 3 year old hits the reset button on the power strip, both units will come back on and potentially conflict with each other as they start streaming messages. My cable company worked me though these steps once and it worked like magic.

I'm not sure if your issue has any relation to my post here, but I like to pass on good information that has worked for me.

Matt

mwilson914 said:
I just want to mention one thing with regards to the "flakey router" issue. I was ready to throw out my wireless router earlier in the year because it was definately showing some flakey issue. The router is discontinued, but I found the last version of firmware Cisco made for it. After I uploaded the firmware and rebooted all was good. It worked better than it ever.

Matt

Yes sometimes doing this may fix the problem.

I've also found that doing a "reset to factory defaults" and then re-inputting your settings will help.

However I've worked with numerous routers where even after doing all of this, the flakeyness resurfaces within a relatively short period of time.

Back