Strange tilt in Hover Training

GBR2

I'm using the Hover Training part of 6.5 and noted something quite strange. I set the heli so I only controlled the left/right tilt of the rotor head. When in the air, the rotor head has to have a dramatically obvious tilt to the right in order for the model to stay in one place. To me this makes learning to keep the heli in one spot, especially once you turn on the fore/aft control of the rotor head. If you level the rotor head, the heli goes quickly off to the left. This just seems to be wrong. Is there a reason for this in the Hover Training? Is this a bug? The controller is calibrated. It certainly doesn't make hover training any easier at all.

It certainly doesn't make hover training any easier at all.

Nothing about helicopter training is any easier. ;)

But RealFlight makes it a lot cheaper!

Wait until you get to side-in hovers and you have to tilt it towards and away from you. Those were tough for me.

I do realize that helis tilt when in hover, but I really don't think having this much tilt is correct. Would you want to try hover training trying to always maintain this tilt? Seem excessive to me and yes the heli was stable, not moving left or right when I captured this screen shot.

Attachments

• tilt.jpg
    tilt.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 20
Ah, what does that have to do with anything, be it a screen capture or using the Tab key, which didn't work in the hover training screen for me. The tilt still looks excessive.

Just that the way you do it its a little thumbnail and hard to see
I was not aware tab did not work in trainers ..
.it is excessive ....keep practicing
its not the trainer .....its you

Hehehe.......I see what you mean!! Locking all but the roll controls made this thing act real wierd. Upon spawn, I had to literally hold full right roll and only hope it stopped before hitting the ring boundary. After stopping, as you can see here, Im at near 90 degrees and not moving to the side in either direction. Adding full control inputs though resolved this issue. Have you tested this with other controls? Pitch? I didnt think about it in time or I would've.

And check out the smoke.........straight down.

Attachments

• ScreenShot031.jpg
    ScreenShot031.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 17
Very odd. Perhaps Ryan might chime in on this one.

I personally never used any of the trainers when I taught myself to fly helis. I just used the red button a couple hundred times since crashes are free on the sim. :D

With controls limited to roll only, I do get a lean that seems excessive. It looks like what GBR2 is reporting. The amount of the lean is consistent, though; I never saw anything like what abaser reports. Is that consistently reproducible?

I'll make a note to take a closer look at this.

With controls limited to roll only, I do get a lean that seems excessive. It looks like what GBR2 is reporting. The amount of the lean is consistent, though; I never saw anything like what abaser reports. Is that consistently reproducible?

I'll make a note to take a closer look at this.

As consistent as the reset button. Does the record function work in the trainer since tab for screenshots doesn't? If so, I'll do a recording.

Ryan, I did some more testing just now. I figured out that upon opening the trainer, I get the results I posted earlier. As long as I crash before resetting, I keep these results. However, if I reset BEFORE crashing, I get the results the OP gets. Much less dramatic. Here are a few more shots showing different angles. The last one is after resetting before a crash. In each of these, the heli was completely still when the screeny was taken. In fact, after the reset before crashing, once you get the heli stable, I can release the sticks and it remains in that spot indefinitely.

Attachments

• ScreenShot032.jpg
    ScreenShot032.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 8
  • ScreenShot033.jpg
    ScreenShot033.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 8
  • ScreenShot034.jpg
    ScreenShot034.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 11
Whether its the trainer or not, I still see this as a crutch. Like Csgill stated, the reset button is free, and using full controls will teach you much faster in the long run.

Back