Stupidest Setup I've even seen

DonStegall

I bought the original RealFlight before there was a transmitter interface or a Deluxe version. I've put up with the stupid 'install this disk now' crap.

I guess I should have known that the G2 upgrade would be just as stupid. I bought it so I could run RealFlight on a 2000 based computer. Of course I can't install the original on the 2000 computer, and it has to be installed to upgrade to G2.

What idiots.

Naw, the stupidest is Windows (sucks).

Don't bother me now, I'm flying RFG2...
Or am I flying the real thing? I can never tell till the landing...

I agree completely that Knife Edge has produced the worst installation/upgrade process I have ever encountered! I have been installing software for 15 year... and this is the worst!

After my first installation of the G2 upgrade I found out that the previously "free planes" that worked under Classic would not register under G2 (generated error messages each time I ran G2). Response from technical support... uninstall and reinstall all software.

After having uninstalled and reinstalled both classic and the G2 upgrade... still cannot use the upgrade online option. (Why can't Knife Edge simply have an G2 upgrade patch available for download!!!!)

After reading the tech support area... find I have to upgrade the Control Panel... do this... then find out that for whatever reason... RealFlight has lost the serial number references... further tech support reading results in "Reinstall"!!! Are you guys friggin nuts!!!! I have seen better installation/upgrade procedures with free/shareware. Write a simple script to re-patch the numbers!

I think knife edge really needs to rethink how they distribute their upgrades. I sincerly doubt I will ever upgrade beyond G2... I couldn't imagine having to go through three software installations.

Knife Edge: You have done your existing customers a great dis-service with this upgrade.

PS: I'm still unable to use the on-line update feature!!! I'll be calling tech support on Monday.

IF you did read the help files, you must have missed the page about re-entering the numbers.

Start installation and run it to the point where you enter the reg numbers, enter the mumbers then cancel the rest of the install. That's ALL you have to do.

Don't bother me now, I'm flying RFG2...
Or am I flying the real thing? I can never tell till the landing...

In fairness, alot of this software was written before Windows 2000, before Windows ME, ad before Windows XP. When MS releases new operating systems and it breaks our stuff, we have to come up with solutions to make the old CD's work. As we release newer CDs, it will have these fixes built into it.

For people with older CDs, we provide knowledge base articles and downloads to resolve these problems.

We dont charge money to make our software on new versions of Windows, we do it for free. Unlike software like Easy CD Creator which made me buy a entire new version (no upgrade was even available) just to get it to work under XP.

Scott Kemp

Knifeedge has never released any updated CDs. I bought my copy within the past month and it had the oldest .219 version. I had to go through all the update pain just like all the people looking for help on this board.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Kemp:

We dont charge money to make our software on new versions of Windows, we do it for free. Unlike software like Easy CD Creator which made me buy a entire new version (no upgrade was even available) just to get it to work under XP.

Scott Kemp
[/quote]

Well, if you are going to advertise that the Upgrade will give a previous owner all of the features of the new version, then do it. Inserting the old CD should be plenty of proof. Considering that the old version wouldn't run on 2000, why would you expect it to be on the user's disk? If the full version will install on 2000 directly, then your Upgrade advertising claims are stretching the truth.

I too had similar problems. And I bitched to all who would listen.
My config is RF Deluxe, G2 upgrade, Addons 1 and 3 running on W2K, Athlon 1200, GeForce2 GTS.

Installing RF-D on W2k needed a fix that was downloadable from the website and allowed G2 to install as well.

But, after finally getting everything installed and being asked for every CD every time, I downloaded the latest updates fromthe control panel and now it only asks for the G2 upgrade CD when it starts.
It never asks for the other CDs, thank god.

Back