Stutter when players join MP

DonaldT

I saw a thread years ago about how to do this but I can't find it. Apparently I have to modify setting not to wait for packets?

Anyone know how to do this in XP?

Thanx in advance

Donald

As I recall "stutter" used to be a big issue in RF ..you didn't even have to be in MP and it usually only happened with the first couple of 3 spawns
but that was corrected or lessened in 5 or 5.5.... I think

And it was something completely different than that annoying 'pause' that happens when someone joins or changes aircraft in RFMP......which I have long ago figured was something we had to live with

How can you NOT wait for a packet ?
seems to me you cant get it..... till its sent ...meaning you have to wait .. until its sent

Last edited:
Yup, that's a problem with the TCP/IP stack software itself.

Some hardware/driver installations seem to offer less waiting on the part of the CPU, while it listens for a packet that it is expecting but has not arrived.

Others quite dramatically freeze up the system while waiting for a packet.

All of this is outside the simulator itself and represents yet ( another ) problem with DX9.0 & directplay.

I've sometimes been able to ameliorate the issue by completely uninstalling the network card interface drivers, rebooting and then letting Windows install the latest drivers available... preferably the WHQL ones.

If DirectPlay is not being used, it can still be a TCP stack issue.

Screwed up stacks will cause systems to freeze as they wait for packets.

That pause has existed in every generation of RF. I do wish something could be done. Especially with 3d heli flying, the pause causes many crashes... it throws you right out of piro moves.
And when you get kids in the room who change models every 5 freakin' seconds, multiplayer becomes useless.
It's also a cause of some friction when you have to ask pilots not to change so often. They don't understand and it takes effort to explain it.
Maybe nothing can be done... but IMO, it's the biggest problem with RF.

Last edited:
Back