Success Story

jeffmull

I posted this story on another forum and it is also appropriate here:

I flew gas RC planes 23 years ago, but kids came along and the RC hobby faded away.

Then, a couple of months ago, my partner and I were out for lunch and ended up next to RC Buyers Warehouse in Nashua, NH. Since we own a pilot training company, we naturally wandered in to see what the planes looked like. And I was curious how the hobby had advanced since I last flew.

Well, since my partner had just purchased a real amphibian airplane, he figured I needed one as well. So we got a Flyzone Beaver, as he said the Beaver was a great seaplane. I wanted a seaplane because I live on a lake and that would let me fly any time.

I put it together, but I was extremely nervous to fly it.

Then I read about RC simulator software, so I got the RealFlight sim with trx because it had a model of this exact Beaver plane and uses the exact trx that came with my Beaver. I figured I couldn't get any better than that.

I put several hours on the sim over the next few weeks, taking off and landing on water to try and get the feel back. I can say it made a HUGE difference. In the beginning I was crashing, but after a few hours, I was smooth and landing nicely.

This morning, looking out on a glass-calm lake, I decided it was time to give the real plane a try. You all know the feeling of that first flight. Knots twisted in my stomach as I turned on the trx and plugged in the battery.

Taxied around a bit to get the feel. Found it handled a lot better in the water with the control surfaces set for max travel. But when it came time for takeoff, I set them to min travel so it wouldn't be so squirrely.

No wind, so headed straight out, back pressure on elevator, 1/3 flaps, smooth throttle up, and off it went! I was a bit jerky at first, but soon settled down. Made the error of trimming flaps to max instead of min, but quickly fixed that.

Flew a few laps around to get more comfortable. That sim experience helped so much as I was more gentle on the controls than I would have been otherwise. And of course it also helped with orientation when the plane was coming toward me.

Time for landing. Dialed in about 1/2 flaps slowly as I entered the pattern. Gradually brought down the throttle on final, and greased it in.

I was so thrilled! Perfect landing - thanks to that software and this beautifully handling plane. Took it up five more times, quick circle, and land. Of six landings, one came a little close to nosing over, and the rest were smooth. I couldn't believe it.

I am so impressed with this plane and how well the software helped me get back into the feel.

--------------------------

There's typically a lot of complaints in forums, but I thought the devs and other people contemplating buying this software might want to know that it really helps with the real thing.

Jeff

Thanks for that story, Jeff. I had a very similar experience with my first nitro plane, a Sig Kadet Senior. I flew only on RealFlight for a few weeks, then finally bought the plane and took it out to the field.

I had someone help me get it in the air, then he handed me the controller. After making a couple of circuits, I made an initial approach that was way too high (the Kadet practically floats without power), and brought it around and greased it in on my second pass.

"You don't need help," the instructor said, chuckling, then went back to his own plane.

Jeff, thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your success! We always enjoy hearing stories like these. It feels great to know that something we make is so helpful to so many people.

Welcome back to the hobby. :)

Back