Super Skybolt Double Build

Sorry, I no longer have G3. Someone did post a process for importing G4 models into G3. Don't know if it'd work, but it's worth a try.

opjose said:
I've never flown the Kit version, but I own the ARF version.

This "feels" heavier and more powerful, but a bit too draggy compared to mine and tends to pull the nose down a bit too quickly when I throttle off.

That sounds exactly like I would expect of the kit versus the more lightly built ( and unfortunately weaker) ARF!!
I've got a question for you opjose.
Exactly how much does your ARF weigh (less engine, or just tell me what engine you're using and I'll look it up)?

The reason I'm asking is it looks like this KIT version is going to be one heavy bird. I'm assembling the nose section right now and it is solid - like a brick s#!^ house. It's got 1/8" plywood formers with a double layer of 1/8" balsa bent around them and the stringers. Then the firewall and engine spacers are all plywood, laminated to being over an inch thick. It's not much of an exaggeration to say that I could probably stand on the damn thing.

Strong=Good. I overstressed my ultimate bipe. It basically imploded, all I could distinguish was the tuned pipe.

As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words".

See that little silver disk on the side of the nose, just forward of the wing strut? Well that's been the hold up for the last week and a half (from about the time I made my last post on this thread).

The disk is a fueling port to allow me to fuel and de-fuel the plane without trying to get to the fuel lines under the cowl. It's a SlimLine product (the only one I know of that doesn't leak) and it has been backordered for the last month and a half. I just got it yesterday and installed it last night. Tonight I'll get back to major work and get the rest of the nose sealed up. Didn't want to do that until the port was in place.

Attachments

• DSCF0014.JPG
    DSCF0014.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 35
dhk79 said:
I've got a question for you opjose.
Exactly how much does your ARF weigh (less engine, or just tell me what engine you're using and I'll look it up)?

Though I already answered you via PM...

Your plane is going to end up a good 2lbs heavier than mine.

Most of that weight will be due to the extra wood you will be using compared to the ARF version.

That will make your VERY sturdy. In a way I'm envious as I don't have the patience to take the time to do as you did. I have a bunch of planes that need assembly long before I attack a kit.

What you are doing is THE way to go on the Skybolt.

While you'll need a bigger engine, from everything I've read and heard from Kit Skybolt owners, it's an even better plane than the ARF, which IMHO is pretty good.

opjose,
You did answer my PM, which I only sent after it seemed that you didn't notice the question posted in this thread. At any rate, thanks for the reponce and I do understand it's hard to read everything that gets posted here.

Here's an update.

Front of the fuse & rear turtle deck have been completed. Weight of this section (so far) is 2.56#. This is with servos, control rods, and fuel tank installed, but no radio, battery, or engine.

Attachments

• DSCF0016.JPG
    DSCF0016.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 18
Lookin' good Doug. It's at about this point that I start imagining the plane in the air and start getting in a hurry. I have to keep telling my self, "patience, patience"

:)

dhk79 said:
opjose,
You did answer my PM, which I only sent after it seemed that you didn't notice the question posted in this thread. At any rate, thanks for the reponce and I do understand it's hard to read everything that gets posted here.

Sorry I was being rhetorical for "anyone that may be playing the home version"...

:D

Fuselage is complete, except for final assembly. Fourth wing half is nearly complete.

Attachments

• !cid_000c01c8a09c$857419e0$3201a8c0@DHK.jpg
    !cid_000c01c8a09c$857419e0$3201a8c0@DHK.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 25
  • !cid_000d01c8a09c$857419e0$3201a8c0@DHK.jpg
    !cid_000d01c8a09c$857419e0$3201a8c0@DHK.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 42
Just an update on non-progress: I've been on vacation, helped my youngest move out (my wife & I now have an empty nest), made some major repairs on my truck, built a different plane (ARF), and put together a heli. In general - everything you can think of other than work on this project. It's not abandoned and I will be getting back to it. :eek:

Wheres the update?
I just found this thread by searching for the Super Skybolt EA. (Didnt realize it was on an expansion pack).

I've really enjoyed your build and want to see it finished.

I've been thinking of buying this kit myself.

How difficult is it to build? (I've built 6 planes: 3 kits, 1 "scratch" and 2 ARF's)
I've never tried to build a curved fuse before. (always been a little scared).

Yours looks fantastic so far...... Makes me want to order it tonight. :D

It's not a hard plane to build, but has a lot of sanding to shape blocks around the fuselage. I've been back to working on it this last week and am about ready to start final assembly.

dhk79 said:
It's not a hard plane to build, but has a lot of sanding to shape blocks around the fuselage. I've been back to working on it this last week and am about ready to start final assembly.

Okay then. It's settled.....I shall. (thanks for the lift me up)
Can't wait to see yours done.!!

Back