Swap D/L's Bad

Top Thumb

I've D/L'd 100's of aircraft and airports for G3.5 but when I try to D/L a G4 file, all I get is another screen that pops up with garbage on it. Is there something special that you have to do to D/L for G4?

Are you using G3.5 or G4?

G4 models can only be downloaded and used in G4 ONLY G.35 models can be downloaded and used in both G3.5 and G4

I'm using G4. That really wouldn't matter though on just downloading it from the swap pages would it? When I click on the download link is when I get the garbled page. This only happens on the G4 files.

Your browser is set to OPEN .RFX files instead of prompting you to save them.

You'll need to fix this in the file associations and browser settings.

This is not a problem at this end.

The only problem that I am have with the G4 pages, when D/Ling the file wants to be saved as a .zip instead of .rfx. I don't have the problem with the G3 pages, even when there were rfx files on the G3 pages.

johndoe25 said:
The only problem that I am have with the G4 pages, when D/Ling the file wants to be saved as a .zip instead of .rfx. I don't have the problem with the G3 pages, even when there were rfx files on the G3 pages.

Same situation here.

I seem to be getting the garble page? I have looked threw my browser and don't see a way to fix it? I'll keep on trying.

tnorton12000 said:
I seem to be getting the garble page? I have looked threw my browser and don't see a way to fix it? I'll keep on trying.
One way is to open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer). Got to Tools/Folder Options..., and click the File Types tab. Find the entry for GFX file associations and delete it.

johndoe25 said:
I just spoke (PMed) with the KE administrator. His current mission in life is to correct this problem. In the mean time, as you go to save the file, change the "File Type" from WinZip Archive to "All Files" and then you can change the file extension to .RFX

BTW G4 will still be able to correctly import the file, even if your system saves it with the .ZIP extension.

A quick-fix for the "garble" page is to right-click the download link and choose "Save Link As..." or "Save Target As..." in the menu that pops up. That'll ensure it gets saved as a file instead of your browser trying to display the binary data.

I'll add a permanent fix for this this to my list of things to do.

dhk79 said:
One way is to open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer). Got to Tools/Folder Options..., and click the File Types tab. Find the entry for GFX file associations and delete it.

I see a G3X file but no GFX file in windows explorer?

Also when I right click and save, It saves it as a PHP file?

Last edited:
I think we've gotten both of these issues ironed out. At least, they work on the computers I've tried them on so far. That is, my web browsers all save the files, and with the correct file name. Anyone still experiencing any issues?

@tnorton: I think dhk79 meant to say "G3X" in place of "GFX". RealFlight doesn't use "GFX" files.

Back