Switchblade WIP

dhk79 said:
any modifications must be reasonable.
Doug
I concur. KE's content looks to all be true to the 3D model size when it comes to physics. I've seen alot of cheater surfaces on custom content.

This is one reason I try to get them in to RF and flying before I paint them. If I find that a wing is needed of needs to be moved for better flying I can move it first in the physics and them later change the 3d Model to match the physics better.

;)
It would be kool if the forward canards would retract back in too

Last edited:
Got some more work done on the physics tonight. Pretty much changed all of the airfoils from my original selections.

I really should always do the math first rather than just eye-balling it, as I never seem to be happy with the off-the-cuff solutions. It's flying a lot better and if I get few interuptions tomorrow, may even get it finished.

Doug

The Switchblade is up on the swaps.

There were a couple of limitations in the physics model.
#1 since I used a geardoor function to control the motion for the wing doors, the nose wheel does not rotate in surface mode (RealFlight thinks it has been retracted).
#2 spinners do not seem to work (i.e. spin) with ducted fan blades.
#3 without having any real performance data and guessing about all the weights anyway, I did not readjust weights or add ballast to remove the CG fudge factor (it just wasn't worth the effort).

There are, however, no adjustments to lift or other performance factors on any of the parts. Nor are there any cheater wing surfaces, so in my opinion, the flying motorcycle concept is feasible.

Doug

EDIT: Followers of my models will note that I don't like to use the manual CG adjustment unless there is a sound engineering reason for its use. On this model, I think the use is justified because much of the fuselage is a fairing for aerodynamics and not for structure. As such the fuselage's center of mass is nowhere near its center of volume, so no matter how the weights are adjusted I don't think it is possible to completely remove the CG factor.

Attachments

• Image11.jpg
    Image11.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Image12.jpg
    Image12.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Image13.jpg
    Image13.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
dhk79 said:
The Switchblade is up on the swaps.

There were a couple of limitations in the physics model.
#1 since I used a geardoor function to control the motion for the wing doors, the nose wheel does not rotate in surface mode (RealFlight thinks it has been retracted).
#2 spinners do not seem to work (i.e. spin) with ducted fan blades.
#3 without having any real performance data and guessing about all the weights anyway, I did not readjust weights or add ballast to remove the CG fudge factor (it just wasn't worth the effort).

There are, however, no adjustments to lift or other performance factors on any of the parts. Nor are there any cheater wing surfaces, so in my opinion, the flying motorcycle concept is feasible.

Doug

Doug,

Would you mind sending me a copy of your .max file to play with? I've been doing a lot of work on my models, both uploaded and behind the curtains with spinning objects. I'd like to see what I can do and send you back an EA and modified .max file if my ideas work out. It would be up to you if you like it or not. :)

Second clue to secret project - Recently received FAA certification as a LSA.

EDIT: Maybe I should say very recently.

Last edited:
Oooh Oooh Oh i think i know, pick me is it one of these. It recently got FAA certification and i saw it at EAA last year.

Attachments

• transition-flying-car-folded.jpg
    transition-flying-car-folded.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 18
O.K. Doug,

Here is my (new) official guess...

The Maverick Sport from i-tec?

Griff
twoeleven

Attachments

• itecMS.jpg
    itecMS.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 19
So, this secret project is a flying car?
Hmm, I think wingman is up to something.
Terrafugia just got FAA certification with a "special exemption"
http://www.terrafugia.com/index.html

OK, Fine, I'll bite.
My guess is the Tyrannos:
ReleaseTyrannosSky-660x320.jpg

Wingman57 said:
Oooh Oooh Oh i think i know, pick me is it one of these. It recently got FAA certification and i saw it at EAA last year.
I've been on vacation, so haven't checked the forum but you got it.

The secret project is the next generation Transition.

Doug

P.S. It doesn't look much like your picture. But it is cool and has both air and surface modes.

Last edited:
The Terrafugia Transition has been posted on the swaps. This takes care of both G4 and G5. Is there someone who would like to step up and tackle the conversion to G3? A word of warning, the physics on this one are challenging. :D

Nice one Matt. I always get a vicarious thrill seeing someone else enjoying one of my planes. Only one better was joining a multiplayer session and finding nearly everyone there flying one of my models.

I have yet to spot any of my models on youtube flown by someone else. I have joined sessions and everyone switched their models to one of mine. I felt awkward. LOL.

I feel the same way just seeing my CSs in screen shots or MP
that kid did a pretty good job of video taping it ........... lol ......."My arms are getting tired" :p

Maj. Numbskully said:
I feel the same way just seeing my CSs in screen shots or MP
that kid did a pretty good job of video taping it ........... lol ......."My arms are getting tired" :p

Yes he did. I don't think my 8 year old would hold the camera that steady. I have seen a CS I did on youtube though. Wingman57's Northstar!

Back