system freezes with G3 (sysinfo included)

yoram

I just installed my new G3 and observing the following issue:
Seconds after takeoff, the system freezes.
Sometimes going black, sometimes
recoveries at lesser resolution/refresh rate and with or without sound.

It looked to me as a video issue. I updated my ATI drivers to catalyst 5.4 for Radeon 9500 Pro but no help.
So I removed them using the ATI driver uninstaller and reloaded after reboot but the problem remains.

Attached is the system info file

Attachments

• RFG3 5-9-05.txt
    87.7 KB · Views: 47
I'm not really sure what would be causing that. You could try going back to an older version of the driver. That has been known to fix problems as newer drivers can have bugs that haven't been worked out.

I tried 5.3 and 4.12 including closing of all running
programs. The same happened with both version.
I also tried to reduce the video hardware acceleration and frame rate.
no results there as well.

Could you provide a detailed explanation of exactly what is happening? For example: I start the sim and I am in X airport with X aircraft. I can run the sim for X seconds until it does ________.

It does this [every] [1 out of 3] [1 out of 10] time(s) that I run the sim.

[Every] [1 out of 5] [1 out of 100] time(s) I run the sim the sound doesn't work.

Something along those lines. Also, if you are getting any error messages be sure to include that in your description.

Everything is default.
Scene: Sierra nevada
Airport: RealFlight Ranch
Aircraft: NexStar except once I took the L39 Jet

It happens 100% of the time (around 15 tries so far), within
30 seconds of takeoff.
If not moving (at all) the system is fine and I hear the engine in idle.
Right now G3 is running on the back and I'm switching back and forth between the browser and the G3. When G3 is on I have the engine sound. On my last try I saw a big (1/2 ") black mouse arrow jumping around for 2 seconds. (could it be related to bitmap rendering)

When flying, I observed the following kinds of behavior (each of them more than once)
1. Usually, the screen goes blank, I hear the engine in the last RPM but
not responding to the throttle. When pressing ALT-CTL-DEL the sound turns off for about a minute ( I assume task manager would come up) but no response to keyboard strokes (I tried ALT-S for shutdown) and than sound comes back. Had to reset
2. Video goes off and comes back frozen within 30 seconds. In this case, ALT-CTL-DEL would bring the management window and once I could shut down from there.
3. Video goes off and comes back in a smaller window with heavy flickering. Had to reset
4. Complete freeze with no sound

Yoram

You should try to flash the BIOS for your motherboard, to see if that helps. It looks like a graphics problem to me... (Not that you don't have an appropriate videocard), but your motherboard might be having trouble processing the frames, as well as Direct X9 glitches. I bet there's a BIOS upgrade. It definitely wouldn't hurt either. Check your computer manufacturers website, or you can also do a search for the really long number that pops up on your screen as you boot up. It goes by really fast, so you have to keep an eye out. This will lead you to the correct BIOS update for your motherboard.

The cooling fan of the Radeon 9500 was bad.
I installed a temporary replacement and now everything is perfect

Thanks for your support
Yoram

Back