Techair Sea Cruise

I've been working on Sea Cruise a lot and I think it's about finished. I still need to tweak a few things like the dash board gauges are a bit too large so let me know what you think about that. I took the gauges from Hawk and shortened them a bit and then mirrored them to create two sides since this is a really long dash. It doesn't have to be perfect just a decent set of gauges that look good. All the controls are the same as before but I'll copy and paste the notes from an older release. Let me know what you think about anything but I'm about worked out on this project so I need to finish it but it's always nice to hear any thoughts you have. I tweaked the color scheme quite a bit it's still the same colors but I worked on it a lot. So here's a new beta for you to try out it's RealFlight 6.5 so everyone can use it.

------

Wingspan: 120 inches
Engine: Two OS FT-160 Twin 4-Stroke
Prop: Sbach 18x10 3 Blade

CONTROLS

Gear DN: 3 position switch towards you
Gear UP: 3 position switch in the middle
Smoke ON: 3 position switch away from you

Flaps: Channel 6 rotary knob
Brakes: Activated by up elevator

Takeoff: Try Alpine Lake Fifty Percent flaps full throttle no elevator. (gentle takeoff)
NOTE: Landing gear must be UP for water take off.

Cameras:

F4 - Cabin Forward
F5 - Cabin Left
F6 - Cabin Right
F7 - Deck
F8 - Pilot Seat
F9 - Plane Front
F10 - Plane Left
Plane Right - You can select it in the View - Camera Type menu

Attachments

• Techair Sea Cruise 47.jpg
    Techair Sea Cruise 47.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Techair Sea Cruise 48.jpg
    Techair Sea Cruise 48.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Techair Sea Cruise 49.jpg
    Techair Sea Cruise 49.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Techair Sea Cruise_EA.RFX
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUSd_RYnxAY

:):):)

I added back in my switchable reverse thruster. At -1.4 it will "park" the plane still in the water offsetting the idle of the props. Higher than that it will back it up. I also made an additional color scheme. It's just for my liking and preference. The blue is a keeper for sure. I'd say it's done. Another great job !!

Last edited:
The rudder looks a little disproportionate, perhaps shorten it up about half (front to rear)

I made it smaller. I reduced it 25% in X and 12.5% in Y. It definitely looks smaller but I want to make sure it steers well in RF, haven't done the physics changes yet I had to stop to work on the house some.

A beautiful picture of it parked next to the helicopter :)

Attachments

• ScreenShot1499387210.jpg
    ScreenShot1499387210.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 15
Well I resized the rudder and made the smaller instruments just a bit smaller so I think she's finished. I'm going to do the final look around to see if there's anything I missed and will release it soon. I did adjust the smoothing groups on the bed just now it seemed like there was just a hint of shading on one corner of it. So I'm in the final stretch now. Of course you guys pretty much have the final version but the release version will have a few fixes. I need to take the wife to Dallas for a Doctor's appointment so I better get ready.

Take care of the family first. It's been storming all day so stuck inside on RF and only flying the tiny indoor stuff. I might get in some heli flights before sunset and the weekend is looking good.

Do what makes you happy and if it's model all the time do so. Just don't burn out like I've seen so many do on the RC and Heli forums.

I think I have the final tweaks finished but I'll fly it a bit more and make sure I don't want to do anything else. I went back and made the rudder a bit longer again, it didn't steer well enough to me so I split the difference from the first time and it works better now. The first time I made it 25 percent shorter in X and 12.5 percent shorter in Y. This time I made it 12.5 percent shorter in X and Y so it's a bit longer and gives a little more rudder control. It's definitely smaller but not as much as the first time. I also put a 1 pixel wide stripe around the cowl louvers in the front to sort of highlight them and I made the exhaust pipes 5 percent larger too. I also made the tie downs on the boat a bit taller, not a lot but enough to make them look a bit better. Just little tweaks here and there to finish it off. SO.. almost there.

I had made the rudder longer (deeper) for more control in the last one so that change should be perfect.

I thought it was time to import Sea Cruise in RF-X so I did that tonight. The only thing I found was a polygon needed to be removed at the cabin door threshold, but other than that it looked pretty good. Oddly enough I think Sea Cruise looks better in RF 7.5 it's just crisper and cleaner looking. It's like there's a tiny bit of fuzziness in RF-X. But at least it works okay. OH.. one minor problem, almost forgot. For some reason when Sea Cruise is first loaded it seems the wheels are a bit stuck, if you give it just a little gas you can see it. But once you break that first little sticky feeling everything is okay. So I'm glad I did the work to make Sea Cruise RF-X compatible and hope the next update for RF-X fixes the water physics and adds a nice lake airfield to fly in. So getting closer.

I have a problem. I mentioned this before but I thought it was a small problem but it's not. When I import Sea Cruise into RF-X and try to roll the plane forward by very slowly bringing up the throttle you can see it STICK and kind of vibrate around and then sometimes it will move forward a little and then STICK again and vibrate. It looks like it's the Nose Gear doing it because sometimes playing with the throttle I can actually get the plane to tilt up some on the Nose Gear like it's just stuck there. I've tried lots of stuff but can't get rid of it. I've deleted and recreated the Nose Gear collision mesh and made the Nose Tire the same size as the Wing Tires and even deleted the entire Nose Gear and imported a nose gear from a different plane that works and it still does the same thing. Maybe it's in the physics but I've looked and can't see anything wrong. SO... if Anyone has any ideas let me know because I really want to fix this before I upload it. Now if you just hit the throttle harder you can take off and it fly's fine but when you land you can see the sticky stuff again.

Have you tried deleting all the braking stuff ? That's the only thing I can think of. I still even fly the Lay-ze electric as it's nice and quiet for being in the cockpit over 3D scenery.

I have a problem. I mentioned this before but I thought it was a small problem but it's not. When I import Sea Cruise into RF-X and try to roll the plane forward by very slowly bringing up the throttle you can see it STICK and kind of vibrate around and then sometimes it will move forward a little and then STICK again and vibrate. It looks like it's the Nose Gear doing it because sometimes playing with the throttle I can actually get the plane to tilt up some on the Nose Gear like it's just stuck there. I've tried lots of stuff but can't get rid of it. I've deleted and recreated the Nose Gear collision mesh and made the Nose Tire the same size as the Wing Tires and even deleted the entire Nose Gear and imported a nose gear from a different plane that works and it still does the same thing. Maybe it's in the physics but I've looked and can't see anything wrong. SO... if Anyone has any ideas let me know because I really want to fix this before I upload it. Now if you just hit the throttle harder you can take off and it fly's fine but when you land you can see the sticky stuff again.

My Tu-95 does the same thing, along with a few other of my planes. And I have not narrowed it down yet. But I think it might be related to the hierarchy.

My Tu-95 does the same thing, along with a few other of my planes. And I have not narrowed it down yet. But I think it might be related to the hierarchy.

Thanks it's always good to hear you're not the only one with a problem. The strange thing is I updated my Lazy Eight for RF-X and it has basically the same design and it doesn't do it. That's the gear I used to create the nose gear on this plane I grabbed it from there and imported into Sea Cruise. And one of my tests was delete the gear from Sea Cruise and Import the gear directly from Lazy Eight again and try that, which did the same thing. So you may have something there. If I fix it I'll definitely post what I did. And let me know to if you fix it on your end too. So maybe I won't worry about it and just release Sea Cruise since you're having the same problem. You can work around it, just give it more throttle and go.. it fly's great and looks better than my other planes did I think. I did more work trying to balance the RGB and Alpha layers in the spec map TGA so that may have helped, because it looks pretty good to me and I wasn't happy with my other planes that much. Which is why I removed them from the beta swap forum. Thanks again for chiming in on this, it really helped.

I just uploaded Sea Cruise.. enjoy.

Sea Cruise is RF 6.5, RF 7.5, and RF-X compatible.

Thanks legoman for your cool 7.5 to 6.5 conversion.

Back