Tell your friends!

wow, half the price and you are getting almost the same thing... does it include an Interlink (nevermind it does)

dang it has all the cool planes from the EX-packs too

KE, this should be renamed Real Flight Standard... if only i could do it all over again

how come it is a DVD

Last edited:
The current full version is a DVD too. Don't let the 'V' fool you, the 'V' does not stand for video, it stands for versatile.

Note that the "Basic" version does NOT work with the Expansion packs nor Add-ons.

I wonder if user created planes for G4.5 also do not work?

Sounds like a great way to fet some customers that can't justify for themselves a $200 simulator. Half the price, but still alot of good features. But the cynic in me can hardly wait for the question to be asked over and over again: "______________________." (Never mind, you know what the question will be. I'm going to have to start pounding my head even faster!)

Speaking of DVD's....

Does anyone know of a way to put all the RealFlight CD's together on one DVD for an easy installation. I havent really tried so I dont know what is involved in doing it.

I am betting that RealFlight, plus Expansion Packs 1-5 could all fit on one DVD. Not sure about EP6 though.

I t would be very convienient for someone like me that re-installs my O/S often (MS Technet Subscriber)

I know I've seen that question posted here before. I'm not sure how it would help, though. Each Expansion Pack has it's own serial number to be input, and each would have to be installed seperately anyway.

Yes, I would expect to still have to put the serial numbers in, but it would save me from having to swap CD's 7 or 8 times (depending on how many expansion packs you have)

You might be able to use a program like norton ghost to backup your installed real flights and have it reinstall like a backup. I havent tried but sounds like it should do it.

TheHeliCrasher said:
You might be able to use a program like norton ghost to backup your installed real flights and have it reinstall like a backup. I havent tried but sounds like it should do it.
There might be other progs that do this, but Norton Ghost backs up and restores physical and logical drives, not files and directories. However, once a backup image is created there is a thing called an Image Browser within Ghost that you can use to restore individual files, directories, etc. I regularly do that when a reboot while RF is running destroys one of my airports. :)

Whether that would do what you want though, I don't know.

Regards
Michael

I've tried to put all the CD's for G4 on to one dvd for the same reason, and it didn't work for me. It seems to look for the disc label, not the files that are on the disc. Unless someone has a DVD copy and can tell me the disc label for the DVD version and I would be happy to try it out and report back.

Create disk images (ISO), that'll work for back-up and you can still install from the images themselves.

Gang, thanks for all of the ideas.

I'm not sure what Real Flight puts in the registry. If there are some entries in the registry that RealFlight depends on, then Norton or any other type of backup program would not work. Unless someone went painstakingly through the registry and exported every single Real Flight entry and re-imported those registry entries after the reinstall of the O/S and the RealFlight file/folder restore. Definately more trouble than its worth.

And I believe you are right Grauwulf - it does seem to check labels.

I do like the iso idea dhk79, as a workaround. Create the RealFlight disks as iso images, put them on a USB or network drive, then use something like Daemon tools to mount the iso's would work.

For those not familiar with Daemon tools, its a free utility that lets you mount iso or nero images as a cd/dvd. So it fools your system into thinking that the iso file is a mounted cd/dvd.

I guess until some talented individual writes an install script that will do what we want, I will go with the iso image idea for now.

Last edited:
akz28 said:
Speaking of DVD's....

Does anyone know of a way to put all the RealFlight CD's together on one DVD for an easy installation. I havent really tried so I dont know what is involved in doing it.

I am betting that RealFlight, plus Expansion Packs 1-5 could all fit on one DVD. Not sure about EP6 though.

I t would be very convienient for someone like me that re-installs my O/S often (MS Technet Subscriber)

Yes, there is a trick that I often use....

Create a new top level folder... Call it C:\Realflght\ ( the name does not matter, but it must not have any spaces ).

Now create the following hiearchy.

C:\Realflight\Disk1
C:\Realflight\Disk2
C:\Realflight\Disk3
C:\Realflight\Disk4

etc. one folder for each CD.

( you can do this for each add-on too ).

Copy the contents of each CD into the respective folder.

Burn to DVD.

Run the installer from DISK1 and it should automatically find the other CD's w/o prompting you!

The reason this tends to work is that the MSI installers have hard coded paths for
Disk1, Disk2, Disk3.

These are normally used by the developers to test out their installers.

In some cases you can also modify the SETUP.INI file the installer uses if the above fails.

Note: it does not ALWAYS work ( I have not tested G4 ), but it tends to work for most programs.

Are you saying that you think the controller included with Realflight Basic will work with G4?

From a marketing standpoint alone, I would think KE would not do this, to protect their flagship product.

Back