Thanks you to Aircraft Modelers/Designers

andy29847

Thank you! To Aircraft Modelers/Designers

I flew RC seriously back in the 80s and 90s, competed in several forms of contest, and was a contest director (AMA 4434). My flying slowed way down when my kids got involved in school activities and I eventually sold my stuff and quit. Santa bought me RealFlight 4.5 in 2009 and I recently upgraded to 5.5 and a new computer.

I have loved flying again, but it is the swap pages, and all of the aircraft designs and color schemes that have been the best part about computer RC for me.

Thanks to the designers who do all the hard work and provide me with so much free fun! :D

236880778_n6rgC-L.jpg

100295912_Sogvj-L.jpg

1217514510_LuPZy-O.jpg

1217514615_aRREM-O.jpg

1217514681_vapmS-O.jpg

Last edited:
It's nice to hear appreciation expressed here in the forums. All the designers put in allot of time on each model and color scheme, and very few take even a minute to thank them. Very nice models by the way.

I'm really glad to share and to be part of the community for this great sim. I have as much fun flying everyone's custom models as the next guy as well. It's always exciting to see what someone else has modeled in their spare time. Each model represents a little bit of each person and that is truly amazing.

Those are some great photos by the way.

The planes in the pictures

Thanks for the complements on my pictures and planes.

The first pic is a Balsa USA Enforcer. I used a Super Tiger 60 for power, rotated the crank 90° to make it run backwards so I could use a regular prop (instead of a pusher). It had to have a fuel pump to keep it running, and was a ton of fun to fly. It made some weird noises with that prop turning in the slot in the wing. I had a dream about a giant scale version of the plane with retracts.

Plane #2 is an XP-26 Cordoni Special, AKA Grape Stomper. This plane begin life as a Chipmunk kit. The kit pieces, especially the cowling and canopy, were junk, so I had to be creative to build a plane. My best flying buddy was a retired AF pilot named Adrian Cordoni. I named the plane after him. FWIW, I had several old guys tell me they learned to fly in the XP-26.

Plane # 3 is a Balsa USA EAA biplane. This was my first giant scale plane and I powered it with a Super Tiger 90. You can see by the covering that I had warbird ambitions. :eek:)

Plane 4 is a Kool Kanary. Supposedly, there was a Reno Racing Biplane designed something like this. The theme for the covering is Clemson University - where I wasted my Momma's money going to school (better than Vietnam). I later built a much bigger version of this plane with a 3.7 Husky motor. I blew up the plans from the orange plane in the picture and spent the winter building the bigger plane. I covered it with Yellow mono-cote and put stripes on the rear so it looked like a bumblebee. It was loud and fast. I had a problem on the third flight (I think the elevator rod disconnected or I lost a servo) and it crashed into a stand of scrub pines. It made a very accurate scale crash site and broke my heart.

The last one is a 1/3rd scale Byron Pitts. This one was powered by a Zenoah 38 that I converted to run on alcohol (think hard to start and 40% more power). What a plane!!

Last edited:
With my recent adventure in modeling, I have a much greater appreciation for the guys who do the modeling here. Even though some may make some snappy remarks, I have found that you must first give this a try before judging them. Its no walk in the park. So, I too say thank you to all modelers, CSers, and physics guys and whoever else contributes useful info to this forum. :)

RealTime-3D modeling

andy29847 said:
Thanks to the designers who do all the hard work and provide me with so much free fun! :D

It's really nice to read this on a forum.
Every guy who ever has created any 3D-object (intended for a game) will know that it's a very hard challenge.
When I see a masterpiece like the F-15 by Mwilson (than you, Matt, by the way) with so many details and sharpness, I can only say ASTOUNDING! :eek:
Some people may think it's only a matter of time. Not only. Keep in mind that you must put all visual details, all collisions-information, all lights, all moving and physic parts into a 3D model that must be kept below 20,000 triangles (polygons).
This may sound much for the non-experienced but it's very low. As soon as you begin to create rounded curves, the amount of triangles increases dramatically.

That's really a pleasure to see people who know to appreciate the effort put into these creations.
We, the designers of the KnifeEdge forum, thank you back, Andy, for this thread.

Lex

opjose said:
:D I think I'm gonna cry! :D

Ok, I exagerated a little bit - I didn't want to sound like pantywaist :eek:
Critics are often easier than compliments so when I read a positive comment (and I fell concerned) I enjoy.
I guess I'm not the only designer glad to read a such comment. Sorry if I offended anybody, my english isn't that good (that's why I almost never post a thread)
I will also say that I THANK Andy for this thread :p

Next time, I will post in french - no misunderstanding anymore :D

ViennaLex76 said:
Ok, I exagerated a little bit - I didn't want to sound like pantywaist :eek:
Critics are often easier than compliments so when I read a positive comment (and I fell concerned) I enjoy.
I guess I'm not the only designer glad to read a such comment. Sorry if I offended anybody, my english isn't that good (that's why I almost never post a thread)
I will also say that I THANK Andy for this thread :p

Next time, I will post in french - no misunderstanding anymore :D

I understand you just fine Lex. Your comments are very kind and much appreciated too. Of course we all know your models are incredible, always. I won't go into naming all the modelers I feel do amazing work, but we know there are many here.

Modeling is just a very enjoyable hobby. The challenge of finishing a project to a set of your own personal standards is more than rewarding. I make my models for my own enjoyment otherwise I would not be continuously modeling.

Back