The B-1B Lancer

So, my B-1B is pretty much done with the modeling stage. It has control sticks, rotating bomb dispensers, exterior crew entrence, an inside pressurized crew entrance door and lots of other do-hickeys, do-dads and thinga-ma-bobs along with an assortment of other surprises--I think.

I'm going to send this off to Maj, for an incredible color scheme once I've finished the UVW unwrap. Since I have been so detailed oriented with this particular project, there are a LOT of things to have fun with while working on the CS. It's reasonable that someone may feel this does go over the line and some people might not want to go to extreme levels of detail by detailing the interior, wheel wells, crew restroom, etc. (just kidding, there is no restroom........yet? hmmmm).

Maj., let me know if there is anything you'd rather stay away from coloring. It takes a lot more time to work on the CS for this type of model. I've really only put in around 35 hours of work into the actual modeling. Pivots and physics are another thing though. I put around 60 to 70 hours worth of work into the physics and pivots. I hate the pivots now and they hate me too. Dang hateful pivots! I'm expecting the UVW mapping will take me around two dedicated hours.

I'm getting a shot of the entrance to upload shortly.

Here is what I could quickly get in walk mode. Too lazy to install cameras right now. I've been having too much fun lately flying this thing around and I don't care that it has a single color CS with a couple of colored materials. It looks good enough for me to enjoy as-is which keeps me unmotiviated from doing anything else but play with it.

I also attached the pics I was referencing from the net. I have more in books, magazines and bookmarks. Of course I have a LOT more pics of misc details of the entire aircraft.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1283820388.jpg
    ScreenShot1283820388.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 19
  • ScreenShot1283820533.jpg
    ScreenShot1283820533.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 21
  • B-1A_crew_boarding_lader.jpg
    B-1A_crew_boarding_lader.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Bone-Bbuild-upCockpit001.jpg
    Bone-Bbuild-upCockpit001.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 19
you model it.......... I will paint it , panel it , rivet it...... really depends on long you're willing to give me:D,

Last edited:
Maj. Numbskully said:
you model it.......... I will paint it , panel it , rivet it...... really depends on long you're willing to give me:D,

I'm not in any hurry at all. LOL. Take a month if that is how you need to go about it. I won't have to wait to fly it. :D

jeffpn said:
What is this? Musical chairs?!?! :eek:

Well, you wouldn't mind starting up on an SU-47 now would you? :D I think I know actually what my next aircraft is going to be, but I'm going to keep it silent in the forums. It is quite different from my other past few projects.

I also might not get to start on my next project for a little while. I get to have another surgery. YES! It is just in time for my birthday next week.

Good luck, Matt. I hope all goes well.
Maj. Numbskully said:
the glider that you're working on has a pretty simple CS
Yeah, and I'm working on getting good graphics, too. No reason us designers have to be the only ones breathing hard, right, Maj.?

The B-1B Lancer is off to the color guy. :D

Here is the airbrush work I'm talking about Maj.

Attachments

• 6102-2.jpg
    6102-2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 8
  • dmh4.jpg
    dmh4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 8
  • lancelot.jpg
    lancelot.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 1-1.jpg
    1-1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 48-204Insert.jpg
    48-204Insert.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 9
Here are the ones with the Symphony of Destruction.

Attachments

• P1040157.jpg
    P1040157.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 13
  • circled detail.jpg
    circled detail.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 15
ok
I have things set up to start working
As I'm gonna do all panel lines and rivets first before I do anything else
are you SURE that the uv map is going to stay the same?
there are many different sections of the model where panel lines will intersect and have to be lined up
and It will be tough to have to change/do-over things later
I know you don't have a crystal ball and If it has to be......... it has to be
I understand that, and will have to deal with it
just want to make sure at this stage you're at least pretty sure it'll stay the same

Last edited:
Maj. Numbskully said:
ok
I have things set up to start working
As I'm gonna do all panel lines and rivets first before I do anything else
are you SURE that the uv map is going to stay the same?
there are many different sections of the model where panel lines will intersect and have to be lined up
and It will be tough to have to change/do-over things later
I know you don't have a crystal ball and If it has to be......... it has to be
I understand that, and will have to deal with it
just want to make sure at this stage you're at least pretty sure it'll stay the same

I will change it at the last minute just for you. :cool:

Just kidding. I have no intentions on changing the UVW Unwrapping because I keep getting a problem with the multi-unwrap. If I have to do something over it could spell disaster. It won't unwrap anything after performing the unwrap clear. I like to add the unwrap clear so that I don't unwrap a previous unwrap and get weird artifacts or distortion on the surface. I always do this now, but the B-1 keeps erroring out after doing this. I've done many things to correct this problem, but it just doesn't like it. I only see one issue currently on the B-1 and that is the right main landing gear door looks like it may be distorted on the UV Unwrap. If it really is, then I can re-do just that part without problem. Just let me know.

I'll send you an update .tga that I'm doing a little bit of work on to help you identify stuff. The lights are easy to find cause they are big on the .tga. I've added the lights color/paste and it looks good. I'm not changing the UVW unwrap like I normally do, unless you specifically need me to change something. You better not though or I will cry.

I have done a couple of screenies today with some stuff I've been experimenting with on the .tga's. I'm trying real hard to get that coated glass look. The .tga is ugly and has you scratching your head, but you can't argue with results. Well, you can if you want because it's a free country and I'm not always right.

Two of the shots show the window specular lighting reflections experiemt results. The rest of the screenies show other stuff I've been playing with.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1284167554.jpg
    ScreenShot1284167554.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 25
  • ScreenShot1284160135.jpg
    ScreenShot1284160135.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 17
  • ScreenShot1284159717.jpg
    ScreenShot1284159717.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 19
  • ScreenShot1284159108.jpg
    ScreenShot1284159108.jpg